Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 1st Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,138Posts
    • 848Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    RBS branch closures
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    RBS branch closures 1st Dec 17 at 7:28 AM
    I see, in the news this morning, that RBS is closing 259 branches, costing 680 jobs. No doubt more details will emerge today. That includes 197 NatWest branches.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 1st Dec 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:49 AM
    Understandable. I do everything online and haven't been in a bank since I set my business account up 12 years ago.

You can't expect businesses to keep premises open if there is not the footfall to make it viable.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 1st Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    Understandable. I do everything online and haven't been in a bank since I set my business account up 12 years ago.

You can't expect businesses to keep premises open if there is not the footfall to make it viable.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Yes, according to their press release:
    More and more of our customers are choosing to do their everyday banking online or on mobile. Since 2014 the number of customers using our branches across the UK has fallen by 40% and mobile transactions have increased by 73% over the same period. Over 5 million customers now use our mobile banking app and one in five only bank with us digitally
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 17,484 Posts
    • 11,717 Thanks
    molerat
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    Scottish branches listed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-42188708
    Some are a more than one branch in a town scenario but the majority are small town branches which will hit rural communities.
    Last edited by molerat; 01-12-2017 at 8:48 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 1st Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    Let's hope they identify the branches soon, it'll be sad for the staff concerned, but will put their minds at rest, for now, of those not affected.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 1st Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    In which case they have been spoilt.
    My village has never had a bank, the nearest one is a 20 mile round trip.

My bet is that even if they get a mobile bank 2 or 3 times a week that would see very few if any customers. Unfortunately for the bank staff, the reasons to visit a bank for face to face discussions are few and far between so it's very difficult to justify keeping 4 or 5 people employed and paying business rates on a building all for the sake of not inconveniencing a very small number of customers.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 1st Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 7,308 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    Bank branches were being kept alive by the sales culture.

That's been nobbled. Game over.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 1st Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    stclair
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    Scottish branches listed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-42188708
    Some are a more than one branch in a town scenario but the majority are small town branches which will hit rural communities.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Hereís a list of NatWest Branches earmarked for clousure;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5041069/natwest-bank-closures-branches-job-losses/
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 1st Dec 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:21 PM
    A shame as their ATMs dispense £5 notes which is handy.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 1st Dec 17, 12:37 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 20,778 Thanks
    Slinky

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5041069/natwest-bank-closures-branches-job-losses/
    Originally posted by stclair
    There's something wrong with that list. Our local branch is listed, it closed earlier this year.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 1st Dec 17, 12:55 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    northwalesd
    There's something wrong with that list. Our local branch is listed, it closed earlier this year.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    The NW in Machynlleth closed a couple of months ago (though we could be talking the same branch )
    • stclair
    • By stclair 1st Dec 17, 12:55 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    stclair
    Personally I donít trust the suns media reporting lol

This list might be more accurate:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/12/royal-bank-of-scotland-natwest-ulster-branch-closures-locations/
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 1st Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 7,201 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Agree. The list is not at all accurate.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 1st Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Personally I donít trust the suns media reporting lol
    ....which does rather beg the question of why you cited it without any such qualification in post #8 above!
    • stclair
    • By stclair 1st Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    stclair
    ....which does rather beg the question of why you cited it without any such qualification in post #8 above!
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It was the first list I came across at the time then others became available namely whichís.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 18,772 Posts
    • 14,481 Thanks
    agrinnall
    A shame as their ATMs dispense £5 notes which is handy.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Not all of them, and they're by no means unique.

Link provide a facility to check any ATM, including whether it dispenses £5 notes.

https://www.link.co.uk/consumers/locator/

And while I hesitate to cite The Sun as a source, given what else has happened in this thread, they do report that an App version of the Link locator is available.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3460899/new-app-reveals-your-nearest-free-cash-point-and-even-tells-you-which-ones-dispense-5-notes/
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 1st Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    Biggles

That was the 'old list' of banks that closed this year.

The 'new list' is, I think, beginning to emerge now.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 1st Dec 17, 10:56 PM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    It is and I see with some regret that the 3 closest branches to my parents in SW London are all closing - including the one my mother has her account with.

Slightly ironic as the closest branch (Southfields) has played on the fact that its been there for over 100 years - and it is normally very busy with long queues (not helped by the fact they removed most of the counters when they modernised the branch) and dread to think what the queues will be like at the remaining branches when this round of closures has happened.

I note that most of these closures won't be until mid-2018 by which time paying in cheques via an app/image will be possible which means that most personal customers won't have much reason to go inside branches reguarly (especially if they still have access to free ATMs)

I feel most sorry for the local businesses who rely on the branches for cash deposits/withdrawals though.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 2nd Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    stclair
    It is and I see with some regret that the 3 closest branches to my parents in SW London are all closing - including the one my mother has her account with.

Slightly ironic as the closest branch (Southfields) has played on the fact that its been there for over 100 years - and it is normally very busy with long queues (not helped by the fact they removed most of the counters when they modernised the branch) and dread to think what the queues will be like at the remaining branches when this round of closures has happened.

I note that most of these closures won't be until mid-2018 by which time paying in cheques via an app/image will be possible which means that most personal customers won't have much reason to go inside branches reguarly (especially if they still have access to free ATMs)

I feel most sorry for the local businesses who rely on the branches for cash deposits/withdrawals though.
    Originally posted by gt94sss2
    Personally Iím surprised theyve not transfered all rbs customers to the NatWest brand and vice versa in Scotland then this would enable to close loads of branches.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 2nd Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 6,211 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I've noticed several on the list either at Universities or in University towns/cities.

All very well saying people prefer to do their banking online, but a lot of students - especially overseas ones - have to go into a branch on a fairly regular basis to sort stuff out.

Presumably RBS have decided that business from these students is not worth having, which is odd given the lengths some banks go to to get new student custom.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

996Posts Today

5,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin