Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Millerblade270608
    • By Millerblade270608 1st Dec 17, 6:38 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Millerblade270608
    Combi boiler question
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:38 AM
    Combi boiler question 1st Dec 17 at 6:38 AM
    Hi.

Just got tge keys for a property. Its got a Glowworm Betacom2 28 boiler. What should I set the water temp to please? Thanks
Page 1
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    I ve got the very same boiler, so far I ve not got to grips with programming it.I just switch it on and off manually when I fancy, no timing. Think I ve got mine set at 60 but a friend did it when I moved in..Seems ok at that. Hot water is quite hot but have to run it for a minute before hot water comes out.
    One radiator is struggling to really hot up. I m trying balancing the radiators the old way using a digital thermometer but I can t really make sure which order they heat up in.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 1st Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    HM I am sure you have thought of this but just to be sure, have you bled that radiator?
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    HM I am sure you have thought of this but just to be sure, have you bled that radiator?
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Hi thanks, yes have bled it. no air in it. Best I can get out of it is mildly warm ! as its the one in my bedroom I d like it hotter. Its the last radiator in the system which leads me to think its a question of balancing.All the others get plenty hot enough and have shut the one off in the conservatory which was working too hard to keep it hot because of how cold it is in there
    Just need to work out the order the other radiators get hot to get to work with my newly purchased multimeter with a temperature probe before following the 12 degree difference instructions I ve read about.
    If that fails will call in a pro !
    • Millerblade270608
    • By Millerblade270608 1st Dec 17, 2:57 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Millerblade270608
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:57 PM
    So can anyone anwer the original post please? Thanks
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Dec 17, 5:58 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:58 PM
    So can anyone anwer the original post please? Thanks
    Originally posted by Millerblade270608
    If you google "what temperature should I set my combi boiler to ", the second heading from the search results gives some detailed comments from MSE forum members.
    I ve learnt a lot myself from it .
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 1st Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    In general terms, with a condensing boiler, the lower the water temperature, the more efficient the boiler. It is difficult to quantify just how much lower temperatures save.

If you have todllers high temperatures can be dangerous.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 1st Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    OP have you tried gradually increasing the temp until you are happy with the outcome. Definitely agree with Cardew re high temps & toddlers. I wouldn't let a toddler anywhere near my radiators.

HM have you checked that the total BTUs for your radiators are not higher than your boiler. If you have a boiler that has had radiators added, such as your conservatory, maybe a new one in the hall or a bigger one in your living room, you may have gone too high for your current boiler to cope. Total laywoman here, but many years ago I had a 5 bed house & when looking at new boilers was told that several would not be big enough to deal with the load.
    Last edited by badmemory; 01-12-2017 at 9:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin