Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 1st Dec 17, 6:10 AM
    • 2,897Posts
    • 39,332Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 1 December 2017
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:10 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 1 December 2017 1st Dec 17 at 6:10 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 1 December 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Still dark, cold frosty and a light dusting of icy/sleety snow - we didn't get this until late yesterday afternoon, and then it was sleet more than snow. It was bitterly cold yesterday same is forecast for today but then supposed to warm up a bit, we'll see.

Dinner last night was HM chicken, bacon and mushroom pie, mash, carrots, peas and gravy - no LO's - all eaten and enjoyed. Tonight DH is expecting to be on a later finish so I'll cook for the boys and myself first and then DH when he gets in.

Yesterday I wasn't as productive as I could have been, although I did get some jobs done, I did keep the WM busy until the dirty wash basket was empty and everything dried too, so must tackle the ironing pile, but that won't take too long. I do also need to get the xmas puds made, I'll get going with those once I get back from food shopping, as they can be steaming whilst I do other jobs. I did run the hoover over and dust and cleaned both bathrooms, so whilst not a deep clean, it looks presentable. I had a problem with my car alarm also - so spent some time sat at the garage whilst they very kindly took a look at it for me, seems to have been the remote control for the alarm, new batteries and at the moment seems to be ok - we'll see. Hubby's watch strap also broke yesterday, and he's only had it a year, and it's got a 5 year guarantee on it and of course we can't find any paperwork, and of course the fact we can't find any paperwork for his watch is my fault! I'll be taking into the local branch of the jewellers where we bought it and will see what they can do, if not, i'll be looking for a manufacturers customer services dept no. and will go straight to them. It wasn't a cheap watch either, so hoping they have some good customer service.

Will just crack on today and get done as much as possible.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 01-12-2017 at 6:27 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 1st Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 2,684 Thanks
    silver-oldie

Mum rang last night (that in itself is as rare as hens teeth) she wants me to go and buy myself a present that she will pay for. I know her hearts in the right place for once but I hate forcing myself to buy a present ....I am one of those very lucky people who needs nothing atm and I dont feel I even want anything ....any ideas will be gratefully accepted. Hoping this is a positive start with mum maybe a long road but baby steps for now.
    Originally posted by Nelski
    How about telling your Mum you are grateful but don't really need anything then suggest going out for a coffee, afternoon tea with your Mum. Something for you to share?
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 1st Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 33,749 Thanks
    Floss
    Nelski how about she buys you a giftcard for somewhere you like to eat /shop when you are out with the girls?
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 1st Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all.
    I had to go to town this morning for a dental appointment, only a clean and polish, so popped into Poundstr*tcher and got some new large Xmas bags for DGC as I'm fed up with the handles on the paper ones breaking. Got some strong plastic type ones with Santa on the front for £1.29 each. I'm hoping they will last a few years. Called into Tes*o for milk, bread and fruit and also got some extra bread flour and yeast, just in case we get snow and can't get out. We can walk to dads if he needs anything as we are only 5mins away.
    On the OS front I have emptied the DW and refilled it, cleaned down the kitchen tops and the top of the oven again .
    Had my first Xmas card today from my friend of 30+ years who now lives in Folkestone. I must get myself into gear as I haven't even written mine, they are usually in the post by now and times a'ticking.
    Tru thanks for the carol , it's one of my favourites, mind you I have lots . Strange, I was singing that one to myself yesterday......... spooky .
    HollyH I hope that you have sorted out your leg/knee problem and that's its not a break. Sending healing vibes.
    Judi I hope your has subsided and that you're ok.
    Nelski how about a gift card from M&S, then you can buy what you'd like, perhaps after Xmas.
    Dumpling enjoy your time with Becky.
    Righty ho I shall now get my cards out and written and ready to go in the post, give me a shove please someone !!!
    Hugs to anyone who wants / needs one. Take care all.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 12,166 Posts
    • 35,675 Thanks
    Nelski
    How about telling your Mum you are grateful but don't really need anything then suggest going out for a coffee, afternoon tea with your Mum. Something for you to share?
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    Nelski how about she buys you a giftcard for somewhere you like to eat /shop when you are out with the girls?
    Originally posted by Floss

Perhaps some kind of 'experience' would be an idea Nelski?
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Nelski, I have bought books from Am@zon as my Christmas gift from my mum. OH and DS will just have money to spend as they wish from her.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    thanks all for some great ideas ....I want them all now so could be an expensive present my mind was stuck on clothes and thats the last thing I need.
    love you all
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 12,166 Posts
    • 35,675 Thanks
    Nelski
    Nelski,
    could you have christmas food off your mum? (thinking nice food from m and s)
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Afternoon all.

Nelski how about a gift card from M&S, then you can buy what you'd like, perhaps after Xmas.
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    this list is getting longer
    • Judi
    • By Judi 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 15,461 Posts
    • 63,827 Thanks
    Judi
    Little Miss has now left the building... about time too she squarked for 4 hours. She did have a half hour sleep in the middle. Its not me i am assured, she squarks all day until bed time at 7 o'clock.

Love her lots but oh dear me!
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 1st Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all

DH has made a set of angel wings for DGS's first nativity at nursery. We just need to try it on him to get the straps the right length. thanks to the person who suggested a Pinterest post which used cut paper plates. Ingenious and we already had some in the cupboard.

I have had the bedding on the line for a blow today. Not quite dry so the quilt cover is over the upstairs bannister and the bottom sheet folded over the radiator in the hallway.

Hugs to those who are poorly or worried. Holly H hope you do not have a fracture. Gers hope you are getting over your accident. Judi have a hug.

Keep warm and have a nice afternoon folks.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi Chums, blooming cold today and I too have the heating on and I dug out a soft pair of bootee type slippers that my DGS Danny bought me a couple of years ago and have my feet nice and toastie in them at the moment .I only wear them when its really cold as otherwise my trotters get too warm

Yes Judi, our lovely Frank is still battling on although he sleeps quite a bit, and eats very little now.I spoke to his wife Margaret this morning and she said she had a long chat with the hospice nurse yesterday and the nurse said if he had still been in the hospital he would not have survived so long, so Margaret is pleased and looks on every day as a bonus bless her.

Tomorrow is my eldest DD Shlley's 50th birthday, and she is popping down for a breakfast brunch in the morning before going to see Frank and Margaret in the hospice in the afternoon .Her OH is hoping to take her out to dinner tomorrow night depending on how his Dad is of course.

I have decided that this year instead of sending cards out, I shall be donating to the Sally Army as they do such great work with the homeless and needy and my friends have all been told already that I'm doing this, and the cash will be far more use that pieces of card that will end up in the recycling I would rather feed someone than have card binned .

Right, it smells like my bangers are done I have bangers and mash and some steamed cabbage and sprouts for dinner tonight real comfort warm the tummy food

Have a good evening chums what ever you are doing and keep warm and dry if you can

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

3,045Users online

Martin's Twitter