Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 1st Dec 17, 5:58 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Lesleyg
    Ovo Warning Economy 10 - Smart Meters are Incompatible and display incorrect prices
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:58 AM
    Ovo Warning Economy 10 - Smart Meters are Incompatible and display incorrect prices 1st Dec 17 at 5:58 AM
    This is a stark warning for other Ovo Economy 10 users. When I logged onto my account a few weeks ago they had started offering Smart Meters to those with 2 meters (previously unavailable). Booked installation for this week, completed on 29/11/17.

It was a very cold day, so soon discovered our night storage heaters weren't coming on at the normal times - we had automatically been switched over to reduced Economy 7 hours without any notice from Ovo whatsoever. Contacted Ovo the next morning who confirmed this.

Ovo tried to pass the buck by saying the engineer should have told me - but of course they should have made it clear before I even booked installation. Their response was "it looks like you booked the installation yourself through the online service, due to this there was no way we could have warned you at the time that this would change how the meter worked" - which of course is utter rubbish and a feeble excuse for their incompetence.

At no stage had I been warned their Smart Meter is incompatible with Economy 10. I have lost 3 hours of off peak time when I need it the most, and they are insisting the unit price will stay the same, and are refusing to compensate me in any way, even though they are admitting they are at fault and I should have been told prior to installation. I am on a fixed price contract with them until January, so don't understand how they can just change their terms in this way.

Ironically their In Home Display shows a considerably lower price than I am paying, but Ovo say: "We have had problems with IHD's displaying rates that are not accurate" - worrying to say the least, what is the point of having a stupid smart meter then??? Instead they advised me to check prices by logging to my account online, defeating the object of having a Smart Meter entirely.

To add insult to injury, if I want the old meters put back they will charge me £57.75 for the privilege. In a nutshell, their attitude to my complaints has been "tough".

It appears to me that they are purposely not telling Economy 10 customers about this incompatibility, they want us to switch to Economy 7 and this is an outrageous and underhand way to achieve their goal.

As you would expect, I have already voted with my feet and booked my switch to another supplier through the Cheap Energy Club. Yes I've lost my Economy 10 tariff which is a blow, but it has at least become easy to shop around online for Economy 7 deals nowadays, which wasn't possible with Economy 10.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 1st Dec 17, 6:13 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:13 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:13 AM
    According to their web site Ovo dont offer an E10 tariff - how have they been able to supply and bill you over the last few months ?

Put the IHD gimmick in the back of the drawer .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    When did you start getting an Economy 10 tariff with Ovo?

Have you had an E10 bill from Ovo?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 1st Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    Can the Board Guide move this from "LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels" to the main Energy board please so it can get other responses.
    Last edited by Robin9; 01-12-2017 at 9:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 1st Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    This is a stark warning for other Ovo Economy 10 users. ....
    Originally posted by Lesleyg
    Ovo? Economy 10?

Why did you not follow my Golden Rule if you have that type of metering?

Oh well, thanks for yet another post re-affirming it

Good luck!
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 13th Dec 17, 5:09 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lesleyg
    • 13th Dec 17, 5:09 AM
    • 13th Dec 17, 5:09 AM
    When did you start getting an Economy 10 tariff with Ovo?

Have you had an E10 bill from Ovo?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Joined Ovo on Economy 10 in January 2013.
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 13th Dec 17, 5:13 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lesleyg
    • 13th Dec 17, 5:13 AM
    • 13th Dec 17, 5:13 AM
    According to their web site Ovo dont offer an E10 tariff - how have they been able to supply and bill you over the last few months ?

Put the IHD gimmick in the back of the drawer .
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Well they've been supplying me on Economy 10 non stop since January 2013, so nearly 5 years. I've had a fixed yearly contract with them every year.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 13th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    Could the OVO rep comment please ?
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 13th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    FullForce
    • 13th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    Could the OVO rep comment please ?
    Whilst you are waiting, this direct from Ovo Energy's website:
    Does OVO offer an Economy 10 tariff?

The short is ‘no, not at the moment’ – this info exists here purely because we like our customers to feel informed about different energy options.
    https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/economy-10.html
    Last edited by FullForce; 13-12-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 13th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lesleyg
    Yes that appears to be their response to new customers, or existing customers, asking about switching to Economy 10. As I've said, I've been on Economy 10 on annual fixed contracts with Ovo since January 2013, so nearly 5 years.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Dec 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Robin9
    Yes that appears to be their response to new customers, or existing customers, asking about switching to Economy 10. As I've said, I've been on Economy 10 on annual fixed contracts with Ovo since January 2013, so nearly 5 years.
    Originally posted by Lesleyg
    I was asking OVO as I'm intrigued how you managed to get E10 in the first place as I was always under the impression that OVO never did E10
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 13th Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lesleyg
    I was asking OVO as I'm intrigued how you managed to get E10 in the first place as I was always under the impression that OVO never did E10
    I just phoned them in late 2012, and a few other companies, and asked if they offered Economy 10. Can't remember what made me choose Ovo to call, I might have seen their name in Which magazine. An electrician working on our house at the time had mentioned that Economy 10 existed, that's what started me enquiring.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 13th Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    What are the 3 rates you are charged for your E10 tariff?

Does your bill show how much electricity you consumed in the 3 hours during the day?
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 13th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lesleyg
    What are the 3 rates you are charged for your E10 tariff?

Does your bill show how much electricity you consumed in the 3 hours during the day?
    The rate was the same for all 10 of the Economy 10 hours, 8.3685p incl VAT. Peak hours were charged at 15.183p incl VAT. Those are prices for 2017.

No I wasn't given a breakdown of how much I use in the 3 afternoon hours. I used those 3 afternoon hours, and/or the 2 evening hours, to use the dishwasher, heating hot water, washing machine, tumble drier, dehumidifiers, cooker, plus a heating top up in the coldest weather.

Overall I used 75% of my electricity in those 10 off peak hours.
    Some of that I can of course switch to the nighttime, some I can't, some I won't for safety reasons/fire risk. Definitely not as convenient though.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 17,481 Posts
    • 11,714 Thanks
    molerat
    Did your billing actually state E10. OVO make it clear they do not support or fit E10 meters but will charge as on an E7 tariff. They, as you have found, fit an E7 meter if it needs replacing. https://www.economy10.com/list-of-suppliers/
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 13th Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lesleyg
    [QUOTE=molerat;73560777]Did your billing actually state E10. OVO make it clear they do not support or fit E10 meters but will charge as on an E7 tariff. They, as you have found, fit an E7 meter if it needs replacing.

Looking back at my pdf bills from 2013 onwards, none of them mention the actual word 'Economy' at all, whether E7 or E10.

Ovo fitted the additional meter, and the meter gave us 10 hours of off peak electricity for the past 5 years. So we had 10 hours per day at an Economy rate - which it makes sense to me to describe as Economy 10. That is certainly what I asked for when I first approached them as I've never heard it called anything else.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 13th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    Sorry to labour a point, but do you know the hours of the afternoon 3 hours and do they change when the clocks go back?

Also are you sure that any consumption in those 3 hours is registered against the cheap rate meter?

Lot of info on this website:

https://www.economy10.com/details/
    • Lesleyg
    • By Lesleyg 14th Dec 17, 5:37 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lesleyg
    [QUOTE=Cardew;73561565]Sorry to labour a point, but do you know the hours of the afternoon 3 hours and do they change when the clocks go back?

Also are you sure that any consumption in those 3 hours is registered against the cheap rate meter?

Yes I certainly do. In the winter the 10 hours were (until the new smart meter was installed of course):

1pm to 4pm, 8pm to 10pm, midnight to 5am. When the clocks changed in March these moved forward one hour.

Yes, 100% certain all of those hours registered against the cheap rate meter. At the prescribed times we even heard the clunk of the meter changeover (which could often act as a reminder to put washing on for example).
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 14th Dec 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    footyguy
    Sorry to labour a point, but do you know the hours of the afternoon 3 hours and do they change when the clocks go back?

Lot of info on this website:

https://www.economy10.com/details/
    See comments I made last month about that site you link to
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5745744
    Last edited by footyguy; Yesterday at 1:11 PM. Reason: corrected link
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 14th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    See comments I made last month about that site you link to
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5745744
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Link not working for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

6,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin