Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 1st Dec 17, 2:52 AM
    • 270Posts
    • 67Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Any reason to keep standard def channels if you have HD version?
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:52 AM
    Any reason to keep standard def channels if you have HD version? 1st Dec 17 at 2:52 AM
    Hi

I am looking into getting a freesat box (ideally programmable to set the channel order).

On the channel order I would like to put the HD channels in place of the standard def channels and perhaps even do away with the standard def channels altgoether.

Is there any reason to keep the SD? IS hd unreliable during bad weather or something?
Page 1
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    Do away with Dave !! and Quest ! just to get a slightly sharper picture..no thanks.
    HD does not change at all for me whatever the weather throws at it, but I have Freeview not Freesat.
    IMO BBC s HD is nt as good as ITVS and Sky s is the best but they charge you a lot more a month for it.
    TVs vary a lot. I have the last of the Panasonic plasmas made and its better than any LCD display I ve seen
    Last edited by House Martin; 01-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 1st Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    BBC HD doesn't carry regional news and other regional items. I think for regional non news programs you end up with whatever London gets.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    BBC HD doesn't carry regional news and other regional items. I think for regional non news programs you end up with whatever London gets.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Yes, how long can it take for the regional news to buy a few Hi Def cameras and update. Its been at least 7 years now having to switch from BBC on 101 to channal 1 at 6.30 pm to receive local news in dull old non HD.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 1st Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    Hi

I am looking into getting a freesat box (ideally programmable to set the channel order).

On the channel order I would like to put the HD channels in place of the standard def channels and perhaps even do away with the standard def channels altgoether.

Is there any reason to keep the SD? IS hd unreliable during bad weather or something?
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Last week you were buying a Linux box!

Anyway, I live in the Thames Valley North TV region but ITV 1 HD is Meridian East to get Meridian Thames Valley and Hampshire I have to select ITV 1 SD for local news and if wanted adverts.

BBC 1 HD shows trailers not news during local news transmissions, local news is shown on BBC 1 SD.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 01-12-2017 at 9:30 AM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 1st Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    Yes, how long can it take for the regional news to buy a few Hi Def cameras and update. Its been at least 7 years now having to switch from BBC on 101 to channal 1 at 6.30 pm to receive local news in dull old non HD.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    It's not the regions not having hd cameras it's the BBC in general not setting up their transmission system in a similar way to ITV to enable regional various on the HD channel
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    It's not the regions not having hd cameras it's the BBC in general not setting up their transmission system in a similar way to ITV to enable regional various on the HD channel
    Thank you, so the BBC in general is a bit short of cash, no wonder with over 250,000 in court 2015/2016 accused of licence fiddling with most probably a couple of million others robbing the BBC of legitimate money getting away with it.
    Its not fair on the honest majority who are not thieves that so many are "evading "
    I really hope that some electronic method is established to rid us all for good of these thieves and stop it in its tracks
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 1st Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 5,938 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    Yet they put local news on the HD news channel, albeit in SD, but then you have to suffer the smaller pic/handsignals. So why can they just do that for the normal news?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 1st Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    As I posted above not all ITV 1 regions are available in HD.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 1st Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 7,112 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    BBC HD doesn't carry regional news and other regional items
    'BBC HD', the TV channel, is ancient history. BBC1 has local HD channels at least, and I think BBC2 does. BBC NI has news etc in HD (that's HD transmission, and HD cameras).

The HD channels are on the same 'signal' as the SD ones, whatever way you receive them. If you don't get the HD ones, you're unlikely to get the SD ones. The HD ones use more bandwidth but are more efficiently encoded than the SD ones. Either way, it's the same ones and zeros being received.

It would be nice to be able to reorder the channels and get the SD ones out of the way, and depending on your set top box, it's possible to an extent. Sky is very poor at doing this though, and about the best you can do is set up your list of 'Favourites'.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 1st Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    unforeseen

The HD channels are on the same 'signal' as the SD ones, whatever way you receive them. If you don't get the HD ones, you're unlikely to get the SD ones. The HD ones use more bandwidth but are more efficiently encoded than the SD ones. Either way, it's the same ones and zeros being received.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Only in the sense that there is a signal spread across a number of discrete frequencies from the satellite carrying a few hundred channels

The SD channels are split across 10733, 10788, 10803 & 10818 while the HD channels are on 10847 & 11023
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 1st Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    alright, can we talk about the elephant in the room, linux and cccam etc. or is that for another website?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    alright, can we talk about the elephant in the room, linux and cccam etc. or is that for another website?
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Since you're talking about piracy (i.e. theft) that's not for any thread on here.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 3rd Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    Nilrem
    Originally posted by House Martin
    The issue isn't a few HD cameras but everything from the cameras to the mixers, to the links from the studio to the transmitters and the transmitters themselves needs to be updated or altered, which costs a huge amount and in some case simply isn't possible

From my understanding the BBC has been updating the regional/local studios but that still leaves the actual broadcast, and that leads to a bigger problem.

There isn't (from memory) space on the transmitters to do HD for BBC regional/local channels. and the cost/space needed to do it over satellite and cable is extremely high as it would require something like another 14 HD channels that could be picked up by existing sets (when the next generation of receivers comes in and we switch over to better encoding that might change).

IIRC we're still using MPEG2 for HD (certainly terrestrial DTV HD), which means that each HD channel takes up about the same amount of bandwidth as 4 SD channels, and there is a finite amount of bandwidth that can be used for each transmitter site without either clashing with other transmitters or being uneconomical to run as you need another transmitter (which is the reason some areas don't get the same number of channels as others, and some only get the "PSB" transmitter of BBC/ITV/C4/C5).
    Last edited by Nilrem; 03-12-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 3rd Dec 17, 3:11 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    This is the explanation from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/BbC4M14YmGHh8Vn52gp9d2/bbc-hd-channel-and-local-news

The transmitters are all capable now of transmitting local news in HD, it's the distribution network as well as the studios that need upgrading.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 5th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7,112 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    Only in the sense that there is a signal spread across a number of discrete frequencies from the satellite carrying a few hundred channels

The SD channels are split across 10733, 10788, 10803 & 10818 while the HD channels are on 10847 & 11023

I think you're talking specifically about the transmitting satellite - my comment was general, across Freeview, cable and satellite - in that whether HD or SD, it's all just ones and zeros. The original questioner thought they needed a stronger signal for HD - whilst it needs more bandwidth, that's not really true.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter