Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 30th Nov 17, 10:12 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 79Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Dealer knowingly selling faulty car
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:12 PM
    Dealer knowingly selling faulty car 30th Nov 17 at 10:12 PM
    Long story short...go to buy second hand car from dealer yesterday...discover the auto box is knackered,soon as under load it wont change gear or accelerate,so reject car.

Looked online and dealer has it back up for sale for same price £2795 and no mention of knackerd auto gearbox.

My question is can he sell a car he knows is majorly faulty without disclosing it...unfortunately the short test drive where dealer is wouldn't show the fault,only by taking a wrong turn and going up a decent size hill showed the fault (soon as its under load fault shows).

Hazard of buying a second hand car or dealer being rather naughty.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
Page 1
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 30th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    Dealer is an idiot, just inviting trouble.

He should just send the car to auction (no comebacks that way) and just swallow the loss.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 1st Dec 17, 1:50 AM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,474 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:50 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:50 AM
    Get someone to go and test drive it and get them to trigger the fault on the test drive.

Maybe they fixed it?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 1st Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    loskie
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    do they have a FB page? If so post your experience with this car there. Remain factual not emotional.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 1st Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 3,635 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    Maybe they fixed it?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    On a car they're selling for £2,795? Highly unlikely.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 1st Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Why not? Might just want the internal oil filter changing. A couple of hours labour.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 1st Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    I remember Wheeler Dealers picking up a Boxster with a 'knackered' auto box, they just changed the fluid and filter and it worked fine. £200 job. Low fluid level can cause that as well, which could be down to a leaking gasket on the gearbox sump, again, easily fixed.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 1st Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    I remember Wheeler Dealers picking up a Boxster with a 'knackered' auto box, they just changed the fluid and filter and it worked fine. £200 job. Low fluid level can cause that as well, which could be down to a leaking gasket on the gearbox sump, again, easily fixed.
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    And you believe that work of fiction?
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 1st Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    And you believe that work of fiction?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    The fix they did was entirely plausible, the buying price was clearly not as they break for more than that.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 1st Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 4,615 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    It's entirely possible they dipped the box, found it low on fluid, and topped it up. My old Jeep that my dad now has leaks gearbox fluid, and after a couple of thousand miles you know when it's getting low because it does exactly what the OP said. Bung a litre of fluid in and hey presto! It's fixed.
    • facade
    • By facade 1st Dec 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    facade
    The fix they did was entirely plausible, the buying price was clearly not as they break for more than that.
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    I remember that, Mike bought it for less than the engine would sell for on eBay.

The owner was in the Porsche club too, and not one of the members had suggested an oil change for the "well known and obvious fault" that Ed spotted immediately.

I suspect they give a lot more for the cars and then film a fake buy myself, and I wouldn't put it past them to engineer most of the "faults" too
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 1st Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    I remember that, Mike bought it for less than the engine would sell for on eBay.

The owner was in the Porsche club too, and not one of the members had suggested an oil change for the "well known and obvious fault" that Ed spotted immediately.

I suspect they give a lot more for the cars and then film a fake buy myself, and I wouldn't put it past them to engineer most of the "faults" too
    Originally posted by facade
    The Porsche targa, bmw 635 and a third car all appeared on eBay at the same time. All with the same seller and after 3 individual buyers had "bought" them for tv.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    House Martin
    The Porsche targa, bmw 635 and a third car all appeared on eBay at the same time. All with the same seller and after 3 individual buyers had "bought" them for tv.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Thats OK, its an entertainment program. /i m not concerned if they cobble up bit part actors to buy the vehicles. Im sure I ve seen the same bloke buy different cars. I dont care if shows are scripted .
    The Porsche with sticking gears seemed genuine as a Porsche gearbox had supposed to have never failed. Just draining it and topping it up would have been too difficult for me
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 1st Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Thats OK, its an entertainment program. /i m not concerned if they cobble up bit part actors to buy the vehicles. Im sure I ve seen the same bloke buy different cars. I dont care if shows are scripted .
    The Porsche with sticking gears seemed genuine as a Porsche gearbox had supposed to have never failed. Just draining it and topping it up would have been too difficult for me
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Porsche gearbox never failed.

Have you ever watched the show?

Two out of three had gearbox problems.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 1st Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 13,198 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    arcon5
    So you bought it and rejected it? They issued a refund ok then? I'm assuming they did as there's no mention of that here... So they can't be that dodgy? If they was knowingly trying to sell a lemon they'd fight hand over fist to get out of it
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,474 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Plenty of minor issues that can give the same symptoms, mostly pennies to fix.

Could be something as simple as a throttle sensor, or cable adjustment or maybe it lacked power and just needed a service.

Without knowing the exact cars details and engine etc. we wont know.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

7,231Users online

Martin's Twitter