Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rh_nc
    • By rh_nc 30th Nov 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rh_nc
    Accrued holiday pay advice help
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:27 PM
    Accrued holiday pay advice help 30th Nov 17 at 9:27 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice.

I recently left a job and have been deducted holiday pay. I started work on the 15/02 and finished on the 17/02 November. I have in writing that I was entitled to 17 days holiday pro rata (other than the bank holidays in which the company was closed for) but had to save 2 days for the Christmas period. Therefore I took 15 days holiday exactly in which I worked out as my entitlement for this period worked. I was then told that the company bases the accrued holiday made from complete calendar months worked and therefore I have zero holiday allowance for the whole of February and the whole of November (32 days worked but without holiday).

My contract states that, "The entitlement will accrue proportionately on the basis of the number of complete calendar months during which you have been continuously employed by the Company (fractional entitlement being rounded up to the nearest half day). There will be no entitlement to pay in lieu of holidays taken, although where on termination of your employment, you have taken more or less than your accrued holiday entitlement, a proportionate adjustment may be made to your final salary payment. Entitlement days are calculated on an annual basis, from January to December..."

Am I entitled to the full 15 days I took? And should I pursue this?
Page 1
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 30th Nov 17, 10:10 PM
    • 18,826 Posts
    • 19,143 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:10 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:10 PM
    Hmm.

Holiday accrues for every day you work - it would be illegal for your company to accrue statutory holiday entitlement for only complete months worked. However, if your company gives holiday which is above the stat minimum, I suspect it is legal for them to apply this rule, providing it does not take your holiday below the statutory minimum (for the same period, with BH calculated on a pro rata basis).

(And the 2 days for Christmas is a red herring, as you weren't there to take them. The stat min for a FT worker is 28 days for a full year including BH.)

Were you a full time worker? Your start and finish dates are unclear to me, but assuming these are 15/02 and 17/11, my back of envelope suggests a FT worker is entitled to 21 days (including BH) at least.
    Last edited by jobbingmusician; 30-11-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 1st Dec 17, 2:52 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:52 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:52 AM
    But a full-time worker (ie someone working 5 days a week) has a statutory entitlement to 5.6 week (28 days - including bank holidays if they are not worked)
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 1st Dec 17, 5:53 AM
    • 30,740 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:53 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:53 AM
    There are a few way to calculate the statutory min, weeks will get close enough initially

Holiday year Jan-Dec looks like they missed 6.4 weeks Jan/Feb and 6 weeks Nov Dec prorara 28*39.6/52= 21.3

We are around 21-21.5 days statutory holiday for the period they worked.

They say they took 15 and they would have taken 5 of the BH making 20.

They are probably a day and a bit short.

-------------------
    rereading the post I think the OP is saying they got 17 prorata based on full months(8 of them).

Which suggests the full allowance is 25+BH (25*8/12=16.67 rounded to 17)

prorata that properly 33*39.6/52=25.13 days
    Last edited by getmore4less; 01-12-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    • cr1mson
    • By cr1mson 1st Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    cr1mson
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    Question - 17 days pro-rata were you working part-time or is that what you were told you would receive for the 8 months worked?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,965Posts Today

10,390Users online

Martin's Twitter