Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theclaire
    • By theclaire 30th Nov 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    theclaire
    Attendance allowance for dementia
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:21 PM
    Attendance allowance for dementia 30th Nov 17 at 10:21 PM
    Hello,

My grandfather has diagnosed Alzheimer's which has of course progressively become worse since diagnosis 18 months ago. My grandmother is sole carer. We are going to try and apply for attendance allowance, does anybody know if a repeat prescription for his dementia medication and an appointment letter for memory clinic is enough evidence? If not, will have to request medical records to be sent out.
    Thank you for any help guys,
    Claire
Page 1
    • 166million
    • By 166million 30th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 4,740 Thanks
    166million
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    Suggest ringing alzheimers society on 03002221122 the helpline should be able to inform you
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
    No. 90: Emergency fund £250
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 30th Nov 17, 11:18 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    WillowCat
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:18 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:18 PM
    My gran was awarded Attendance Allowance in 2013 based simply on our description of her needs. Although she suffered from dementia she had always refused to see a GP and the only meds she took were calcium tablets.

However at 92 it may have been expected that she may have need for a carer.
    • venison
    • By venison 30th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    venison
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    Age UK can be a big help if you ask they will send someone to help fill out the form.
    I am now a Board Guide on the Credit card board and the Loan board and Benefits board (But give me time to learn the ropes thanks).
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 30th Nov 17, 11:45 PM
    • 23,647 Posts
    • 13,778 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:45 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:45 PM
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs34_attendance_allowance_fcs.pdf
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 1st Dec 17, 1:39 AM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 1,685 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:39 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:39 AM
    The DWP make the decision on an AA claim by:
    1) Considering the care needs described on the AA form completed by the claimant; and
    2) Getting a report from the health care professional(s) listed on the form.

This process is unlike PIP, where a medical assessment is done by ATOS / Maximus / etc, and therefore (given the standard of some PIP assessments), it is very advisable to include medical evidence from your medical professionals with the PIP form.

I would suggest getting help with the form, and letting the HCP listed on the form know that an AA application is being made (do make sure they are aware of your grandfather's care needs).
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/before-you-claim-attendance-allowance/check-if-entitled-to-attendance-allowance/

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20032/legal_and_financial/57/benefits/4

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 1st Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 28,637 Posts
    • 72,962 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    My grandfather has diagnosed Alzheimer's which has of course progressively become worse since diagnosis 18 months ago. My grandmother is sole carer.

We are going to try and apply for attendance allowance
    Originally posted by theclaire
    Get help to fill in the forms and, if AA is awarded, look at grandmother claiming Carer's Allowance as well.

If she has a pension, she may not get the full award but will have 'an underlying entitlement' which can affect other benefits.

Being the sole carer for a dementia patient is very hard work. Your Gran can get a Carer's Assessment from the Social Workers for her needs and to set up an emergency plan for your Grandfather's care should she be taken ill.
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 1st Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 28,656 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    Get help to fill in the forms and, if AA is awarded, look at grandmother claiming Carer's Allowance as well.

If she has a pension, she may not get the full award but will have 'an underlying entitlement' which can affect other benefits.

Being the sole carer for a dementia patient is very hard work. Your Gran can get a Carer's Assessment from the Social Workers for her needs and to set up an emergency plan for your Grandfather's care should she be taken ill.
    Originally posted by Mojisola

I looked after my late husband for the 12 years that he had Alzheimer's, but CA ceased when I started to receive SRP. I was told I couldn't get both unless I received Pension Credit, which I didn't.

Regarding getting a Carer's Assessment, this is very much a postcode lottery, like so many other things, and can take a very long time to secure, and often the exhausted Carer doesn't have the time to keep making telephone calls, trying to chase it up.

My heart goes out to anyone caring for a loved one, and especially those with Alzheimer's.
    • iceboy
    • By iceboy 3rd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    iceboy
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    Sorry to bring up an old thread..Not mentioning Dementia but: I read this on Which.. "Once the application has been received, your relative might also be asked to attend a medical assessment to check their eligibility, which can be at their home if getting to the assessment is difficult. At the assessment, they will need to provide identification". So do you have to attend an examination or not as this lost me my pip..although I have arthritis, I also have really bad nerves and going for the pip gave me a mini breakdown and I couldn't attend. So I lost my money..on here it say's there is nothing like the pip system..but on other sites it says there is..who is right?.I'm over 65 by the way.
    Last edited by iceboy; 03-12-2017 at 8:53 PM.
    • nicter
    • By nicter 3rd Dec 17, 9:16 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    nicter
    community charge
    Not sure if you are aware but any household where a person with diagnosed dementia lives gets a reduction in council tax
    • iceboy
    • By iceboy 3rd Dec 17, 9:51 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    iceboy
    I don't have this awful diagnosis thank God,I just didn't want to start another thread..but people tell me to put in for this benefit with my arthritis and other conditions..my wife is 69 and does a good job of making me take my meds etc..but I'm weary about all the face to face medicals this government is obsessed with at the moment..I have trouble leaving the house when the nerves start and I don't think I could cope.But thanks for replying.
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 3rd Dec 17, 11:54 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    WillowCat
    Not sure if you are aware but any household where a person with diagnosed dementia lives gets a reduction in council tax
    Originally posted by nicter
    Not quite true. Dementia can be diagnosed at an early stage, but it's only when a doctor decides that the person is 'severely mentally impaired' that they are disregarded from council tax.

By disregarded, the council tax is calculated on the remaining number of people in the house. So if there were already three adults, then no deduction will be made. If there were two adults then the single person discount (25%) would kick in, if they lived alone then no council tax would be payable.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    You have to satisfy different descriptors for AA than for PIP or DLA and there is no allowance or travelling out of the home. (Pensioners should expect to be housebound).

AA looks more difficult to get as, for instance to get the other two benefits finding preparing a meal is counted as a need ,but for AA regardless of whether you are unable prepare a meal ,they are only interested if you need help eating a meal.(Oddly many who can eat cannot safely prepare.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter