Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 30th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 450Posts
    • 3,092Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2017
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2017 30th Nov 17 at 9:06 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to, err me, sstevo19 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: letís make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
    July 2017
    August 2017
    September 2017
    October 2017
    November 2017
Page 2
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 4th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 31,165 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Boots Time Delay Cleansing Oil 200ml - WNBA, I don't even know if Boots still do this range, I didn't hate this and it dissolved all makeup without any problem at all but the main ingredient is mineral oil and I think there are better things out there.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • asset2004
    • By asset2004 4th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 17,704 Thanks
    asset2004
    I am back again for this month. I do have a couple of outs, several gifts have been given out to raffles and I made a big set of beauty products from the Boots glitch a couple of years ago as a star raffle proize too.

On another note disappointed to open a Neals Yard moisturising cream yesterday to discover it has gone off! Yuck. I did get it free through O2 a couple of years ago but it still had it's silver seal intact. It does have a BBD on it of April 2015, but never thought it would go off. Disappointed with this. And even worse I have another tube got at the same time that'll probably be off too
    • lucia22
    • By lucia22 4th Dec 17, 8:17 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 2,031 Thanks
    lucia22
    I have a short PP list for this month as I've been super busy and don't have a lot of time to keep track of things atm. It's been a slower year but I'm up to 96 UU and definitely have acquired fewer new products than last year. I'd be pleased to make it to 100 UU for the year.

PP list

Body
    New Look Honey & Almond Softening Body Lotion 150ml
    TBS Passion Fruit Shower Gel 250ml
    Vaseline Advanced Repair Hand Cream 75ml
    Aroma Greenline Menthol Softening Foot Cream 75ml

Face
    Garnier Ultralift Night Cream 50ml
    Derma V10 Derma Serum 15ml
    Boots Traditional Skin Care Moisturising Cream 200ml

Hair
    OGX Reviving Awapuhi Ginger Conditioner 385ml
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017 (Total 2016 UU - 211)
    Toiletries Total UU to end of Nov - 96
    |Dec - UU - | Makeup Total UU to end of Nov - 5
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 4th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 3,482 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    back again for december, i got a new elf eyeshadow and lip gloss yesterday.

no outs in ages!
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 4th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 3,092 Thanks
    sstevo19
    A few INs today:

Lush Twilight Shower Gel 250g
    Lush Rose Jam Shower Gel 250g
    Lush Snow Fairy Shower Gel 250g
    Lush Plum Snow Bubble Bar
    Lush Orange Roulade Shower Smoothie sample
    Lush Christingle Body Conditioner sample
    Lush Dream Cream Self Preserving Body Lotion sample
    Lush It's Raining Men Shower Gel sample

This is totally a 'I'm feeling so sorry for myself and I want to stock up on my favourite shower gels' purchase. I feel like crap lately. These should be my last INs for the month. I am terrible.
    Last edited by sstevo19; 04-12-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    • shed35
    • By shed35 4th Dec 17, 10:30 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    shed35
    The Body Shop have a good deal at the mo. Spend £50 and pay £25.
    Originally posted by VALM
    Hi

Thanks for this. I will have a look. Hope my friend i who is gifting this pressie:beer has seen this.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 5th Dec 17, 7:26 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 3,092 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from last night:

SVR Topialyse Palpebral Irritated Eyelids Anti-itching Soothing Cream 1ml WNBA as a full size. It's a bit meh. I don't see the point of it. It helped a little bit but it's not for me.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 5th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 35,552 Thanks
    VALM
    There's also a really good Liz Earle TSV on QVC today if anyone wants a bottle of fragrance.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 31,165 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Burberry Weekend EDT 30ml
    - loved this, a distinctive scent which lasted really well, WBA. I cracked open my last bottle of YSL Paris to use this morning - totally love this scent.

Sent the Avon book back with no order and said that I would let her know when I wanted another one to save her messing about. Also got two NBI yesterday. I had two Stila Smudgesticks which wouldn't wind up so I complained direct to them and they posted replacements straight away. I hope these work, I can't check as they don't retract - so annoying.
    • Plumpudding
    • By Plumpudding 5th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,945 Thanks
    Plumpudding
    Hello

It's been aaaages since I last posted but I have been reading and cheering from the sidelines.
    I started the year with about 250 things in my stash, mainly skincare because I don't use or stash much make up really. A lot were samples, very few large containers of anything. I tried to use up 20 things a month at least. This is easy when you have lots of sachets and bottles of hotel shampoo, hard water and v long hair. I thought that if I did that, and only bought what was necessary, I'd be on top of things.
    But I sort of bought a few beauty boxes. And my OH travels a lot for work and brings me back the shampoos etc, so there's that. Also I can't go to Boots without looking at the clearance shelf.

I just did a count up of the current situation and it's 140 items in the stash, not including a look fantastic advent calendar and an entire bed side table drawer full of nail polish. Plus I bought some christmas presents and ended up qualifying for a beauty bag of samples. I MAY have asked for Lush for christmas. So all things considered (apart from the nail varnish) I think it's probably going to be about 180 by the end of this month, even if I UU 20 items as per the target. So going in the right direction. Weird thing is, although I am getting through the products, they seem to be taking up the same amount of space in the cupboard - does anyone else find this?
    • VALM
    • By VALM 5th Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 35,552 Thanks
    VALM
    I went to Lush today and bought 3 bubble bars : Milk Bath, My Front Teeth and the Cracker. Used half My Front Teeth and its gorgeous.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Dec 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 31,165 Thanks
    dolly84
    Hello

It's been aaaages since I last posted but I have been reading and cheering from the sidelines.
    I started the year with about 250 things in my stash, mainly skincare because I don't use or stash much make up really. A lot were samples, very few large containers of anything. I tried to use up 20 things a month at least. This is easy when you have lots of sachets and bottles of hotel shampoo, hard water and v long hair. I thought that if I did that, and only bought what was necessary, I'd be on top of things.
    But I sort of bought a few beauty boxes. And my OH travels a lot for work and brings me back the shampoos etc, so there's that. Also I can't go to Boots without looking at the clearance shelf.

I just did a count up of the current situation and it's 140 items in the stash, not including a look fantastic advent calendar and an entire bed side table drawer full of nail polish. Plus I bought some christmas presents and ended up qualifying for a beauty bag of samples. I MAY have asked for Lush for christmas. So all things considered (apart from the nail varnish) I think it's probably going to be about 180 by the end of this month, even if I UU 20 items as per the target. So going in the right direction. Weird thing is, although I am getting through the products, they seem to be taking up the same amount of space in the cupboard - does anyone else find this?
    Originally posted by Plumpudding
    Welcome back.

I went to Lush today and bought 3 bubble bars : Milk Bath, My Front Teeth and the Cracker. Used half My Front Teeth and its gorgeous.
    Originally posted by VALM
    I think the bubble bars are better value than the bath bombs which to me seem to just be bicarb, scent and glitter but then I don't actually buy them so what do I know.

I have a uu

Rituals White Lotus & Yi Yi Ren Foaming Shower Gel
    - this was a mini can and it smells lovely but it doesn't foam madly and it is hard to press the nozzle. WNBA as I prefer Imperial Leather for this type of product but I do have a full size of this and also another scent in the stash.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 31,165 Thanks
    dolly84
    I've decided to make a list of things I will not need to buy in 2018 and the things I may need to buy. I am going to add it to my first post on this thread too then carry it forward each new month.

Will not need to buy

Shower gel
    Body moisturiser
    Hair conditioner
    Night cream
    Foot cream
    Nail polish
    Hair serum/oil
    Makeup of any sort
    Perfume
    Bubble Bath

May need to buy

Shampoo - we have lots but everyone is using the same ones now
    Cleanser - should get through most of the year
    Eye cream - only have the one which is in use
    Day cream - should get half way through the year
    Nail polish remover
    Curl cream - do have a few so should get quite a way through the year
    Deodorant
    Hand cream - should get halfway through the year

Shouldn't need to be spending much at all really.
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 6th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sunny_money
    Great idea dolly84
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 6th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 3,092 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from yesterday:

Bioderma Crealine Deo 50ml WNBA and I'm so glad it's gone. It wasn't as strong as I need it to be, when I sweat, I really sweat. But it was a nice deodorant though.
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 6th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sunny_money
    UU
    No7 Beautiful Skin BB cream normal/oily 40ml - OHs reject.
    Head&Shoulders for greasy hair 250ml. Replaced with same from stash.
    Plus a Dove deo
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 6th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 28,176 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Great idea Dolly, I think that I should copy it if that is OK with you?

I am going to keep a note in my purse of clothes/accessories that I am allowing myself to buy next year too, I do most of my shopping in charity shops and have a few things in mind, but have masses of clothes really and need to be very selective.

I really liked the look of the Ted Baker weekend bag inn B00ts, don't need the contents, but loved the bag realistically I am not a light traveller and my skincare, hair care, make up and meds would probably fill it, let alone clothes and shoes
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 6th Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 28,176 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I have my laptop back, so at last can post my UU list, a lot on there, but if I do my routines properly I should finish the majority.

195ml Elemis Omega-Rich Cleansing Oil
    250ml Verveine Hand and Nail Cream
    30ml Percy & Reed No More Oil
    125ml Clinique DDML
    50ml Gatineau Soothing make up remover
    15ml Margaret Dabbs Cuticle Serum
    30g Herbfarmacy Mallow Beauty Balm
    200ml Decleor Micellar Cleanser
    NIOD CAIS
    NIOD FECC
    50ml Nivea Cream
    300ml Bronley Bergamot and Lime body scrub 1/101
    250ml Charles Worthington Micellar Shampoo 2/102
    Last 2 items have bitten the dust
    • VALM
    • By VALM 6th Dec 17, 7:46 PM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 35,552 Thanks
    VALM
    Welcome back.

I think the bubble bars are better value than the bath bombs which to me seem to just be bicarb, scent and glitter but then I don't actually buy them so what do I know.

I have a uu

Rituals White Lotus & Yi Yi Ren Foaming Shower Gel
    - this was a mini can and it smells lovely but it doesn't foam madly and it is hard to press the nozzle. WNBA as I prefer Imperial Leather for this type of product but I do have a full size of this and also another scent in the stash.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Agree with you on both counts. Not a fan of bath bombs because they don't produce bubbles. Also, find the Rituals cans hard to press.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • asajj
    • By asajj 6th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 10,598 Thanks
    asajj
    Hi everyone. This week has been mad and it feels like it should be Friday already. I have 2 INs although they are freebies.

Imperial Leather Foamburst Unicorn Marshmallow Shower Gel and Nivea Shower Mousse, both are full size. Will be reviewing them for a survey company. I've tried the Unicorn Marshmallow and it is a bliss.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter