Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 30th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Abbey1991
    Barclaycard throwing their money around?
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    Barclaycard throwing their money around? 30th Nov 17 at 8:41 PM
    I have received an unsolicited letter from Barclaycard telling me they are going to increase my limit but will do a credit search first.

Currently they offer me quite nice balance transfer offers every month and I don't want to jeopardise this by them seeing how much I owe to others.

Shall I tell them to forget the increase, or will this make them more suspicious?
Page 2
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 4th Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    You said the letter was unsolicited, but from your quote it looks like you requested the limit raise.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    I didn't request one. I guess they just copied and pasted some wording from elsewhere.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 4th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 6,443 Posts
    • 3,395 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I didn't request one. I guess they just copied and pasted some wording from elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Abbey1991
    OK, hence the second sentence:

You said the letter was unsolicited, but from your quote it looks like you requested the limit raise. If you didn't, I'd contact them to see what happened.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    I do feel this is all a bit unusual, I've had Barclaycards for 30 years and never had the "wrong" pasted wording. It seems other posters haven't had your experience either. Probably nothing to worry about, but I think I'd send off a secure message asking why you received this when you didn't ask for an increase.

Anyway, if you do take it further, do post back with the outcome.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 12th Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I got a automated increase from them a few days ago.

The letter didnt say anything about a credit search been carried out.

I suspect they actually do regular checks, as this seems coincidental to me getting my new MBNA card, and barclays realising they have the lowest limit of all my cards, giving it a boost to compete with my other cards.

Thats what it seems like to me.

Of course it could just be mere coincidence.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I have received an unsolicited letter from Barclaycard telling me they are going to increase my limit but will do a credit search first.

Currently they offer me quite nice balance transfer offers every month and I don't want to jeopardise this by them seeing how much I owe to others.

Shall I tell them to forget the increase, or will this make them more suspicious?
    Originally posted by Abbey1991
    Lloyds Bank is doing the same thing with my Platinum MasterCard but I have noted that this is not the same for all of their customers and is by invitation. At this time I have available three different BTs over different periods and money transfer into my current account which I don't actually use very much.

Debatable whether they can do a credit search for a service they have imposed although it's for the same product you already have for which you have authorised a credit search when you first applied for it. Personally I would challenge their right to do a credit search.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin