Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tafyapple
    • By tafyapple 30th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tafyapple
    MBNA Time limit
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    MBNA Time limit 30th Nov 17 at 8:06 PM
    Very strangely I am informed by MBNA again that my PPI request is denied as outside their time frame.

Like many others on here I did not receive the letter they alleged they sent April 2013. However what is interesting, is on my first application they turned the claim down and attached a copy of the letter and they reiterated verbatim within the letter than failure to apply within the 3 year time frame MAY possibly mean it would be turned down. So, even if I had received the letter their poor use of the English language surely could not be upheld. MAY and POSSIBLY are not words for you cannot claim after 3 years.

Secondly I have seen other posts on here whereby they would have expected a sizeable claim, as I believed mine to me.

Within the last two months I received two phone calls from MBNA going over my claim application again, /what benefits did I have in place etc etc..... .So to have the final decision letter based again on the 3 year rule is very suspicious.

on the other hand they have confirmed a cheque will be raised regarding Plevin.

Where to go from here. I will refer to the ombudsmen as a professional organisation I feel has misled customers with the use of MAY and POSSIBLY.

But in your opinion, would I be better placed putting it in the hands of a PPI claims team that have experience on taking on MBNA (I have learned they have a bad reputation and within the Ombudsmen too, albeit others have then on the OMBUDSMEN because of MBNA (possibly conspiracy theorists out there :-0) Thank you for any advice.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 18,870 Posts
    • 10,107 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    I will refer to the ombudsmen as a professional organisation I feel has misled customers with the use of MAY and POSSIBLY..
    Originally posted by tafyapple
    How were they mis-leading? They were simply leaving themselves with the option of imposing a time-bar, an option which they have taken.
    would I be better placed putting it in the hands of a PPI claims team that have experience on taking on MBNA
    Originally posted by tafyapple
    You've already complained and been rejected so you can't now employ a "PPI Claims Team". A claim company simply represents you in PPI complaints, they have no power to overturn a complaint decision.

If you do refer your complaint to the Ombudsman, realise that they also have no power to overturn a properly applied time-bar.
    You certainly won't win any argument about the terms used in their letter, the Banks employ legal teams to write these letters and they are legally watertight.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    • 89,840 Posts
    • 56,490 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    But in your opinion, would I be better placed putting it in the hands of a PPI claims team that have experience on taking on MBNA
    There is no such thing. All CMCs do is send a complaint to the firm in question. They send it to the same address and the same staff at MBNA deal with it and give the same response as before.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 1st Dec 17, 7:17 AM
    • 7,161 Posts
    • 5,159 Thanks
    -taff
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:17 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:17 AM
    If you can show you didn't receive the letter, for example you moved house in the timeframe in question the FOS would probably overturn the timbar.

If not, then Plevin is your only hope,

As above, a CMC wouldn't complain again once you've told them a timebar had been applied because it would just get the same response as you've had.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter