Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 30th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    • 588Posts
    • 83Thanks
    Seagull27
    Does driver NCD always expire after two years? With all insurers?
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    Does driver NCD always expire after two years? With all insurers? 30th Nov 17 at 7:56 PM
    Hi all

I messed up a little....

Up until August 2015 my partner and I had a car each, but we then went down to one car and have been like that since. She is the main policy holder on the current car. We do a similar amount of miles; maybe she does a touch more but there's not too much in it.

I had planned to switch it at some point so that I would be the main driver and would therefore keep my NCD "active/alive". From what i understand, it usually expires/resets after two years.

The time has flown by and here we are now two years and several months later...

So have I lost my NCD discount for good? Or do some insurers look back further than 2 years and allow for NCD from 3 years ago?

Many thanks

Max
Page 1
    • doodle-bug
    • By doodle-bug 30th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    doodle-bug
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    I was in the same situation as you - only I was a named driver for far longer... When I got an additional vehicle I rang our insurers and they matched my husband's NCD (which was the maximum) without a fuss.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 30th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 34,545 Posts
    • 18,525 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    Try Co-op who take it up to 3 years old
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 4,239 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    Lots of companies will offer you an introductory bonus - it might not be the full NCD, but it's better than nothing.

When my OH went from driving a company car to owning his own car (and being a named driver on my policy) this is what happened. They needed a letter from his employer to say that he had been driving claim-free for x number of years, which wasn't an issue. They're likely to ask for a letter from you OH saying that you've been on her policy for 2 years and have had no claims in that time.

The best companies to ask would be the one your wife is with currently, the last one you had insurance with, and whoever has your house insurance - basically, if you already have some sort of relationship with the company they are likely to be more willing to do it.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 3rd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    Who is / was your insurer?

Directline allow 3 years if you were insured with them (or they did)
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 4th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    Thanks for the helpful replies and info.

The last insurer I was with was Aviva...
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 26th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 26th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 26th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    Hi all

Coming back to this now as the insurance is up for renewal next month. Don't want to leave it until the last minute!

So just playing with quotes on Confused.com. Taking Admiral as an example...

- £162 p/yr. In my partner's name (10 years NCD) with me as named driver.
    - £162 p/yr. In my name (6 years NCD) with my partner as named driver. So the same...

But here's where I was surprised...

- £171 p/yr. In my name (NO NCD) with my partner as named driver.

Am I right to be surprised? Do others find this odd? I was really gutted that I might have let me 6 years NCD expire by not having had a policy in my name in over two years. But here we are and I'm finding that it inly makes £9 of difference in any case!!!

Is NCD really as worthless as that?

Would be interested to hear any thoughts.

Cheers
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 36,692 Posts
    • 154,847 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 26th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 26th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    With your NCD you would also have the option of protecting your NCD.
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 26th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 26th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 26th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    With your NCD you would also have the option of protecting your NCD.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Hi silvercar

I guess I need to work out whether my NCD is even valid any more before worrying about that!

But funnily enough - based on what I've found out so far - I'm chuffed that I have never taken out NCD protection. If the difference in a quote between having no NCD and 10 years NCD is a measly £9, then NCD Protection seems a complete waste of money!
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 26th Jan 18, 8:15 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    More insurers are now accepting NCD from 3 years ago. My insurer, Direct Line is one of them.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 34,545 Posts
    • 18,525 Thanks
    Quentin
    More insurers are now accepting NCD from 3 years ago. My insurer, Direct Line is one of them.
    Originally posted by Placitasgirl
    From Direct Line website :

Your NCD must be from a valid UK insurer and must not be older than 2 years
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 27th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Seagull27
    I have just spoken to Admiral (twice) on the phone and they have confirmed that they accept NCD up to three years old rather than the usual two years. They came in cheapest as well, so I'm very pleased about that

There's no mention of it here:

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/car-insurance/how-the-no-claims-bonus-works#

...which is why I ended up calling about it twice. I have issues with trust when it comes to things like this!!

On a separate note, that page says the average discount for 6 years NCD is 31%. 9 years plus is 40%. So I asked why when I compared zero NCD with 10 years NCD the quoted price changed from £171 to £162; a mere 5%. They answered that this is because the percentages quoted on the website are an average. Hmmm.... That would mean that to balance things out some people out there would need to be getting discounts in the 70-80% region. I doubt that! Or are they???

Like I said above, I'm just glad I've never wasted money on protecting my NCD seeing as it makes such an insignificant difference....
    • msallen
    • By msallen 27th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    msallen
    Part of the cost of insurance will cover administration and part will be the actual cover (and other parts will be the profit etc).

On a policy as cheap as £171 the administration costs will make up a large chunk of that hence the bottom line discount will look much smaller. However a policy costing say £1000 would only have the same admin costs.

Using some totally made up figures as illustration....
    If your £171 policy is £100 admin, and 20% gross profit (~£34) that leaves £37 for actuarial cover. £9 is roughly 25% discount on that.
    If a £1000 policy had the same £100 admin and 20% gross profit (£200) then a 25% discount against the remaining £700 actuarial cover would be £175, which would look like a discount of between 3 and 4 times as large on the price paid by the driver, even though it included exactly the same level of discount on the cover itself.

When the insurance company quotes average discounts (against the end user cost) then this average will always be made up of smaller discounts on cheaper policies and larger discounts on more expensive policies.
    Last edited by msallen; 27-01-2018 at 1:28 PM.
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 27th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Seagull27
    Good thinking and nice explanation It's a shame you don't work for Admiral. I you did you could have added that info to the "No Claims Bonus - read how it works to give you discount" rather than choosing to leave it out and just quote large percentages...

Seriously though, thanks for the explanation.
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 27th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Seagull27
    Aviva only accept NCD up to two years old. However, if i go with someone like Admiral for the next year - who will accept my 2.5 year old NCD (7 years worth) - I can then go with Aviva next year who would accept my NCD at that stage (all 8 years of it by then).

Slightly absurd but good to know.
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 27th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    From Direct Line website :
    Originally posted by Quentin
    "Your NCD must have been used on a policy within the last 2 years to be valid"

Also from the Direct Line Website;

Your NCD must have been used on a policy within the last 2 years to be valid. However, we will accept NCD within the last 3 years if we were the last insurer.

They didn't make it clear when I got my quote that the acceptance of my 9yrs NCD which was three years old was because they were my last insurers.

I stand corrected in the OPs case, but hope this might be of help to some.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,071Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin