Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 30th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    • 577Posts
    • 82Thanks
    Seagull27
    Does driver NCD always expire after two years? With all insurers?
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    Does driver NCD always expire after two years? With all insurers? 30th Nov 17 at 7:56 PM
    Hi all

I messed up a little....

Up until August 2015 my partner and I had a car each, but we then went down to one car and have been like that since. She is the main policy holder on the current car. We do a similar amount of miles; maybe she does a touch more but there's not too much in it.

I had planned to switch it at some point so that I would be the main driver and would therefore keep my NCD "active/alive". From what i understand, it usually expires/resets after two years.

The time has flown by and here we are now two years and several months later...

So have I lost my NCD discount for good? Or do some insurers look back further than 2 years and allow for NCD from 3 years ago?

Many thanks

Max
Page 1
    • doodle-bug
    • By doodle-bug 30th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    doodle-bug
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    I was in the same situation as you - only I was a named driver for far longer... When I got an additional vehicle I rang our insurers and they matched my husband's NCD (which was the maximum) without a fuss.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 30th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 33,539 Posts
    • 17,432 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    Try Co-op who take it up to 3 years old
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 3,520 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    Lots of companies will offer you an introductory bonus - it might not be the full NCD, but it's better than nothing.

When my OH went from driving a company car to owning his own car (and being a named driver on my policy) this is what happened. They needed a letter from his employer to say that he had been driving claim-free for x number of years, which wasn't an issue. They're likely to ask for a letter from you OH saying that you've been on her policy for 2 years and have had no claims in that time.

The best companies to ask would be the one your wife is with currently, the last one you had insurance with, and whoever has your house insurance - basically, if you already have some sort of relationship with the company they are likely to be more willing to do it.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 3rd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    Who is / was your insurer?

Directline allow 3 years if you were insured with them (or they did)
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 4th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    Thanks for the helpful replies and info.

The last insurer I was with was Aviva...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin