Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EtherK
    • By EtherK 30th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EtherK
    Inventory check out fee
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    Inventory check out fee 30th Nov 17 at 6:05 PM
    Hello,

I have just checked out of a property and £75 was was held back for an inventory checkout fee. The flat was unfurnished. The wording on the agreement states:

"The tenants are aware that they are responsible to pay the inventory check out upon vacation with the appointed inventory clerk"

That is all the agreement says. We have never been informed how much we would be charged. We found out the amount when we checked our bank account.

Should we have been told of the total in our tenancy agreement or other correspondence?

Many thanks,

Kelly
Page 1
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 30th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 4,910 Posts
    • 6,876 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    You read the contract, it said there would be a checkout fee. Did you ask what it would be? It could have been £1000! Its like writing an open cheque when you signed the contract.

Although I suppose if incredibly excessive you might be able to take them to court.

However, £75 is fairly normal. I think you are on a road to nowhere with wondering if you have to pay it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,103Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter