Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SHAKERMAKER
    • By SHAKERMAKER 30th Nov 17, 5:59 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 10Thanks
    SHAKERMAKER
    Samsung S8 smashed despite enclosed case
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:59 PM
    Samsung S8 smashed despite enclosed case 30th Nov 17 at 5:59 PM
    Hope someone out there can give me some advise as I've no idea where to start.

Last June I dropped my brand new Samsung S8 so lucky for me my bank account package arranged for it to be fixed for a small admin fee.

I promptly bought a new case recommended to me by Carphone Warehouse.

It's a 'Gear 4 Oxford' case that has D3O impact protection and is military standard drop tested from 3M.

I dropped my phone (becoming a habit!) two days ago and the back is smashed despite being firmly enclosed in its case.

I still have the receipt and original packaging.

Who should I pursue? Carphone Warehouse? Or Gear 4 directly? Or the Goods and Services Act?

Am I likely to get my phone fixed?

This cover cost me £35!

Help please!
Page 1
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 30th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    Did anybody specifically guarantee your phone could never break under any circumstances?
    • SHAKERMAKER
    • By SHAKERMAKER 30th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    SHAKERMAKER
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    They didn't use the words but it does say on the box "impact protection" and 'drop tested 3m/9ft 810G' ???
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 30th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7,513 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    Why don't you ask CPW? Like "water resistant" watches aren't guaranteed as "waterproof", unless you can prove the nature of the impact you would have to rely on the response of the retailer (first) and the manufacturer (second). In any case you would need to go back to CPW in the first instance.
    • SHAKERMAKER
    • By SHAKERMAKER 30th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    SHAKERMAKER
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    Yeah sounds like a good idea to me thank you. If they are an advocate of the Gear 4 products then surely they should take this on?
    I'll go and see them in person.
    • d123
    • By d123 30th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    Hope someone out there can give me some advise as I've no idea where to start.

Last June I dropped my brand new Samsung S8 so lucky for me my bank account package arranged for it to be fixed for a small admin fee.

I promptly bought a new case recommended to me by Carphone Warehouse.

It's a 'Gear 4 Oxford' case that has D3O impact protection and is military standard drop tested from 3M.

I dropped my phone (becoming a habit!) two days ago and the back is smashed despite being firmly enclosed in its case.

I still have the receipt and original packaging.

Who should I pursue? Carphone Warehouse? Or Gear 4 directly? Or the Goods and Services Act?

Am I likely to get my phone fixed?

This cover cost me £35!

Help please!

They didn't use the words but it does say on the box "impact protection" and 'drop tested 3m/9ft 810G' ???
    Originally posted by SHAKERMAKER
    They will never guarantee against any and all types of impact. Their test might have been onto carpet or linoleum whilst you might have dropped onto concrete, as an example.

CPW will laugh you out of the shop, to be blunt (hopefully not to your face) but they will not accept liability and nor will the case maker. A court wouldn’t find against them in something with so many variables.

Even something like an Otterbox is not 100% guaranteed to prevent all impact damage.
    ====
    • SHAKERMAKER
    • By SHAKERMAKER 30th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    SHAKERMAKER
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    The thing is, the front screen was 100% fine no cracks under the impact, yet it was the rear case. So in my eyes that proves that the case worked, but only by 50% not 100%??
    • d123
    • By d123 30th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    The thing is, the front screen was 100% fine no cracks under the impact, yet it was the rear case. So in my eyes that proves that the case worked, but only by 50% not 100%??
    The front is effectively laminated glass, while the back is just a single sheet of glass, the s6 and S7 were. They’d crack with very little force applied and I’m pretty sure the s8 is the same, having a look at what a replacement back looks like.

Or maybe more simply, the force of impact was more to the back...
    ====
    • SHAKERMAKER
    • By SHAKERMAKER 30th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    SHAKERMAKER
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    I'm getting a Nokia 3503 next time ��
    • d123
    • By d123 30th Nov 17, 9:21 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    I'm getting a Nokia 3503 next time ��
    An old 3310 would probably be better if you keep dropping your phone...
    ====
    • SHAKERMAKER
    • By SHAKERMAKER 30th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    SHAKERMAKER
    Still got one! dropped it twice though, never dropped my S5! Typical!
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 1st Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Enceladus
    The best cases are made by Otterbox. All the others are just imitations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,654Posts Today

5,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin