Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • plunet
    • By plunet 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 18Thanks
    plunet
    y-cam homemonitor ending free cloud recording
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    y-cam homemonitor ending free cloud recording 30th Nov 17 at 5:02 PM
    I've got some Y-Cam Homemonitor CCTV cameras, and when purchased these came with "Lifetime 7 day cloud recording", but it seems that Y-Cam have had a change of heart and T&Cs and are withdrawing the 7 day free cloud recording for devices that have been active for more than one year.

This is obvious a significant change in their service proposition and their T&Cs and what they advertised their products to come with.

I guess others might be picking up on this. Do others have any suggestions on whether we should fight this?
Page 2
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 1st Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    from 2014 Ycam Home Monitor Quick Start Guide

Last edited by ballyblack; 01-12-2017 at 2:04 PM.
    • Cynicalgit
    • By Cynicalgit 1st Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cynicalgit
    Contact amazon
    I've been in touch with amazon and they have agreed to refund both cameras. I purchased them in 2014 and 2015 so this is good service.
    I suggest other people do the same if they purchased from amazon.

Thank you for finding the advertising for me.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 1st Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    I have been in touch with Amazon as well. Tried to fob me off by telling me to contact manufacturer. I refused as I bought 2 cameras in 2014 from Amazon

They then stated will phone me back within 48 hours
    • Cynicalgit
    • By Cynicalgit 1st Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cynicalgit
    I used the customer service option on the app and it was dealt with by text
    Best of luck with it
    • Cathy81
    • By Cathy81 1st Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cathy81
    Got refund from Amazon (where I bought this item from). There are plenty of other cameras out there cheaper and with better quality. This one was starting to annoy me with notifications failing to come through or the app not working properly.

Thanks Amazon!!!
    • Andywest
    • By Andywest 1st Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Andywest
    I have 3 or 4 boxes at home will compare as different ages...
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 1st Dec 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    Got refund from Amazon (where I bought this item from).
    When did you purchase?
    • plunet
    • By plunet 1st Dec 17, 3:25 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    plunet
    Seems like people are piling in on Trustpilot with some negative reviews.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.y-cam.com

The company is responding to those with a fairly boilerplate response.
    • plunet
    • By plunet 1st Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    plunet
    Oh, and I've just called Which? head office, they seem to be very interested in what I have told them, and are probably going to investigate.
    • Andywest
    • By Andywest 1st Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Andywest
    In my account settings on app it says my service level is "free" with an option to upgrade to 7 day storage or to plus premium version?
    • plunet
    • By plunet 1st Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    plunet
    In my account settings on app it says my service level is "free" with an option to upgrade to 7 day storage or to plus premium version?
    Originally posted by Andywest
    Yep, so free now apparently includes no cloud storage, and you have the option to pay for 7 days and 30 days cloud storage. Outrageous.
    • hichoslew
    • By hichoslew 1st Dec 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    hichoslew
    Hey, Amazon
    Just registered to reply here

As an affected customer, this is what I found today
    aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/ycam-tco
    I can't post full link as a new user…

Amazon is the backbone of y cam, and is also likely the main reason why y cam broke its marketing promise

Anyway I bought from y cam directly but did go through PayPal and AMEX so will try both to get refund. Guess the mass effect will bankrupt y cam but that's the deal - you swallow your words I take my money back!
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 1st Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    jshm2
    Well.... it was always going to be iffy that they could ever continue to offer 7 day free recording when not even Google, Apple or Facebook let you do it for free at unlimited.

To be honest the system wasn't well rated anyway and it was only the free cloud recording that most reviewers probably liked. Don't use it myself but I think most burglars will be out looking for these cameras as they will be sure nothing is being recorded....

Joking aside I think it won't be long before Y-cam will need to come up with a local storage method else risk people cracking their software to make it local storage.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 2nd Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    As an affected customer, this is what I found today
    aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/ycam-tco
    I can't post full link as a new user…
    Here it is;

https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/ycam-tco/
    • Cynicalgit
    • By Cynicalgit 2nd Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cynicalgit
    Forgive me for disagreeing and I don't mean to offend but I think the statement, " Well.... it was always going to be iffy that they could ever continue to offer 7 day free recording when not even Google, Apple or Facebook let you do it for free at unlimited." doesn't really reflect the true situation IMHO

The cameras are much more expensive than a standard IP camera. The premium was basically a pre-payment for the cloud storage. Cloud storage is cheap and gets cheaper every year.
    The storage was limited to 7 days of very compressed video and you must remember that the cameras are not constantly recording for that time- I've got no figures to hand but I don't think that will amount to many mb of info to be stored- certainly far less than the gigabytes of storage offered for free by Apple /Google.

This was a blatant effort to secure an income stream for the company that they are not entitled to. What I anticipate happening is rather than increase income this is going to bring the company down. They tried to get an extra £60 a year off me but I'm returning my cameras to Amazon. I don't know their arrangements with amazon (and I note they use amazons cloud service) but anticipate the £400 refund amazon are giving me will make its way to the company.

So, for the sake of £60 pa greed they are going to be out of pocket by quite a bit.
    Classic CEO mistake of believing your own bull****
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 2nd Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    website from 2015

• Andywest
    • By Andywest 2nd Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Andywest
    Just filed enquiry with Advertising Standards Authority. ASA.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 2nd Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    FREE FOREVER???

Last edited by ballyblack; 03-12-2017 at 2:16 PM.
    • Biilbo
    • By Biilbo 3rd Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Biilbo
    Cameras?
    Y s’cam no more . . . .
    So what system is everyone now going to use? What is the best on offer?
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 3rd Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    tonygold
    if any of you guys affected by this are in the Beds, Herts or Bucks area you should contact Jonathan Vernon Smith who hosts a daily consumer radio programme on BBC Three Counties Radio (11am -12pm).
    he is excellent and i'm sure would be very interested in this thread which you should link to him on his email:
    jvsshow@bbc.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/articles/2008/03/28/consumer_feature.shtml

good luck. this sounds terrible business practice and should be challenged.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin