Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hrj2922
    • By hrj2922 30th Nov 17, 4:43 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hrj2922
    Emergency taxed last month and nothing this month?
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:43 PM
    Emergency taxed last month and nothing this month? 30th Nov 17 at 4:43 PM
    I started a new job a couple of months ago, last mo th was my first payday and as I didnít have p45 I was emergency taxed, called them and they said Iíd get it back this month when they updated my tax code. Today I got paid quite a lot more than expected, my payslip shows tax with a - next to it so thatís obviously whatís been paid back to me (from the emergency tax I paid last month) but I havenít been taxed again? And the amount given back seems more than I thought itíd be? Tax code on my payslip is 1150L which is right (last month was BR) so I donít get why Iíve had so much back/not been taxed? Not complaining but scared to touch it in case they demand it back or take it out of next months?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 30th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 11,696 Thanks
    molerat
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    If you were taxed at BR last month then moving to 1150 this month you have last month's allowance of £959 extra tax free this month. Is this your first job this year ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • hrj2922
    • By hrj2922 30th Nov 17, 5:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hrj2922
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:55 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:55 PM
    Nope not my first job have been working all year?
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 1st Dec 17, 12:44 AM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:44 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:44 AM
    Only way to check your tax is if you give the figures.
    From P45 Tax code, any X after it, gross to date, tax to date.
    From first payslip taxable gross and tax paid.
    From second payslip taxable gross, tax refunded, taxable gross to date, tax paid to date and the month number or date payment made.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,835Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter