Emergency taxed last month and nothing this month?

I started a new job a couple of months ago, last mo th was my first payday and as I didn’t have p45 I was emergency taxed, called them and they said I’d get it back this month when they updated my tax code. Today I got paid quite a lot more than expected, my payslip shows tax with a - next to it so that’s obviously what’s been paid back to me (from the emergency tax I paid last month) but I haven’t been taxed again? And the amount given back seems more than I thought it’d be? Tax code on my payslip is 1150L which is right (last month was BR) so I don’t get why I’ve had so much back/not been taxed? Not complaining but scared to touch it in case they demand it back or take it out of next months?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,683
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you were taxed at BR last month then moving to 1150 this month you have last month's allowance of £959 extra tax free this month. Is this your first job this year ?
  • hrj2922
    hrj2922 Posts: 28
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nope not my first job have been working all year?
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Only way to check your tax is if you give the figures.
    From P45 Tax code, any X after it, gross to date, tax to date.
    From first payslip taxable gross and tax paid.
    From second payslip taxable gross, tax refunded, taxable gross to date, tax paid to date and the month number or date payment made.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure