Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Empty Wallet
    • By Empty Wallet 30th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Empty Wallet
    Eligibility criteria for a Barclays Basic Bank Account?
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    Eligibility criteria for a Barclays Basic Bank Account? 30th Nov 17 at 4:39 PM
    Hi, does anyone know what the acceptance criteria for the Barclays Basic Current Account are?

The MSE article on Basic Bank Accounts (on the main site) says that the Barclays account "has eligibility criteria, so if you'd be eligible for a standard current account with Barclays you may not be able to get the basic one".

Whilst I'm making amends now, my financial history has been pretty messy, and I'm not really interested in going through the motions of applying for a full (regular) current account just to have that application rejected in order to be eligible for their Basic account - I'm just wondering if that's what Barclays staff would want me to do, if I went in to a branch to apply for the basic account?

Thanks for any pointers
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 30th Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=Barclays+Basic+Bank+Account
    • gettinnerdy
    • By gettinnerdy 30th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gettinnerdy
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    See - this forum is just full of snobs who like to be clever, canít give a proper friendly answer. Probably all old farts set in their ways.

You can apply for the basic account directly without applying for the full account first, both online & in branch. Know from experience, I also work at Barclays
    • gettinnerdy
    • By gettinnerdy 30th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gettinnerdy
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    Also it’s the only basic acct to give you a contactless card and not the words “basic” plastered all over the card. Card is no different to full current acct ones so you won’t be embarrassed getting it out unlike cards from Lloyds and Halifax which pretty much Say “babies basic account” on them
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 1st Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    All current account providers now do a standard credit check when applying for accounts - it's just if they offer you the basic, if that is more appropriate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter