Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joe565
    • By joe565 30th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 9Thanks
    joe565
    Laptop so slow? Should I do a Restore to Factory Settings? Windows 7 See screenshots
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    Laptop so slow? Should I do a Restore to Factory Settings? Windows 7 See screenshots 30th Nov 17 at 4:04 PM
    Hello

My laptop has been running so slow and I'm thinking of Restoring it back to factory settings. Don't have any disks though so can it still be done?

Obviously need to do a back up as I've loads of photos etc and if I take these off my laptop would that help?

I'm used a Toshiba Satellite C660-108 laptop, Windows 7 and wondering would a Restore help?

I'll attach three screenshots which might be helpful?

Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 30th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    Although there a few factors there which could slow it down, i see nothing serious enough to warrant a reinstall.

The most common cause BY FAR of a slow machine is malware.

So first, run this :

https://www.malwarebytes.com/ (free version)

And then this :

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/ (first click scan, and then click clean)

Let us know how you get on

Edit : I would strongly suggest you remove AVG
    Last edited by AndyPix; 30-11-2017 at 4:14 PM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • joe565
    • By joe565 30th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    joe565
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    Although there a few factors there which could slow it down, i see nothing serious enough to warrant a reinstall.

The most common cause BY FAR of a slow machine is malware.

So first, run this :

https://www.malwarebytes.com/ (free version)

And then this :

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/ (first click scan, and then click clean)

Let us know how you get on

Edit : I would strongly suggest you remove AVG
    Originally posted by AndyPix

Thanks for this! See malwarebytes screenshot below. 209 seems alot!! So do I click save or quarantine (sorry am newbie lol)

I'll do the other adwcleaner now soon and remove AVG

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    Quarantine - then reboot
    • ChesterBarnacle
    • By ChesterBarnacle 30th Nov 17, 6:16 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ChesterBarnacle
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:16 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:16 PM
    Help to show the disk use on the task manager, basically cpu, memory and disk
    are the 3 key things regards performance.

I show all processes too then click on the top of each of the three columns to see what is using what most.

Looks like some CieoNet toolbar is installed and that looks like the culprit.
    • joe565
    • By joe565 30th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    joe565
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    Quarantine - then reboot
    All done now. Keep getting this pop up box - see bottom right of screenshot and not sure what settings should be?

I've removed AVG, so is Malwarebytes enough on it's own?

• joe565
    • By joe565 30th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    joe565
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    Help to show the disk use on the task manager, basically cpu, memory and disk
    are the 3 key things regards performance.

I show all processes too then click on the top of each of the three columns to see what is using what most.

Looks like some CieoNet toolbar is installed and that looks like the culprit.
    Originally posted by ChesterBarnacle
    Can't find the toolbar anywhere to uninstall. I'll do screenshot of programs

• The Ang
    • By The Ang 1st Dec 17, 2:51 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    The Ang
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:51 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:51 AM
    I experienced the same thing. I had tried a lot of ways, including that virus and malware things, but finally:

1. backup all data
    2. restore factory setting
    It works well then. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 1st Dec 17, 4:56 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    AlSto
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:56 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:56 AM
    Better still, swap the current HDD for an SSD. Such as this Kingston SSD A400 for £40 and maybe swap out the 1 GB RAM module for a 2 GB RAM module £8

Ten to fifteen minutes to swap both.

No need to back anything up, as it will be stored on the old hard drive.

Just install Windows 7 to the SSD and then move your stuff over from the old drive.

Will solve any problem with slowness and improve the performance of your laptop considerably.
    Mechanical hard drives are old tech. SSD will make your laptop 'lightning fast'.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 1st Dec 17, 8:45 AM
    • 9,879 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    GunJack
    You're missing the obvious - in your task manager screenshot you're using 88% physical memory and 87 processes running, there's lots of background carp running. This will lead to lots of pagefile useage and therefore slow the machine down.

Use either CCleaner's Startup tool or msconfig and turn off all the crap from running at startup, then reboot and check task manager agan.

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, see blackviper's W7 configurations to stop more carp from running when it's not needed...

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Oh, and you'll still need an av....when you remove avg use the removal tool

https://www.avg.com/en-gb/utilities

and get avira free from filehippo

https://filehippo.com/download_avira/74187/
    Last edited by GunJack; 01-12-2017 at 8:48 AM.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 1st Dec 17, 8:57 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    tonygold
    Better still, swap the current HDD for an SSD. Such as this Kingston SSD A400 for £40 and maybe swap out the 1 GB RAM module for a 2 GB RAM module £8

Ten to fifteen minutes to swap both.

No need to back anything up, as it will be stored on the old hard drive.

Just install Windows 7 to the SSD and then move your stuff over from the old drive.

Will solve any problem with slowness and improve the performance of your laptop considerably.
    Mechanical hard drives are old tech. SSD will make your laptop 'lightning fast'.
    Originally posted by AlSto
    hi alsto
    you say no need to back up but how would the new SSD drive fit in the laptop without removing the old HDD. sorry if this is a dumb question but i too would like to upgrade my HP Envy windows 10 laptop to an SSD.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 1st Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Just uninstall Malwarebytes.
    Install it again periodically - run it - uninstall.

Don't forget to do ADW cleaner next to tidy up the scheduled tasks etc.
    Scan-clean-reboot

Then run task manager again and you will see the improvement.

Install bitdefender free once you have removed AVG using the tool above

https://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 9,879 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    GunJack
    Install bitdefender free once you have removed AVG using the tool above
    Might be ok for a fresh install of BD, but 've seen several W7 machines now where BD has updated itself and suddenly wont function properly, hence I've gone back to avira on those machines...

..one to keep an eye on
    • were
    • By were 1st Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    were
    I'd uninstall Bonjour as it had given me problems in the past
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 1st Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    Malware removal is good practice. Another good thing is to review the list of installed Windows programs, and REMOVE any that you really don't use, or can live without. Then reboot.

But my opinion, from the limited info, is that you would benefit from installing more memory. How much memory do you have ? Can your laptop take more? Research this and report back. memory is cheap.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 1st Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Every laptop I've had come in for running slow that is a few years old has suffered from a blocked heatsink looking like this to some extent or another. It might not be the primary cause but a CPU throttling its speed because it is running hot doesn't help.

• 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    [QUOTE=joe565;73490111]Hello

My laptop has been running so slow and I'm thinking of Restoring it back to factory settings. Don't have any disks though so can it still be done?

Obviously need to do a back up as I've loads of photos etc and if I take these off my laptop would that help?

I'm used a Toshiba Satellite C660-108 laptop, Windows 7 and wondering would a Restore help?

I'll attach three screenshots which might be helpful?
    [QUOTE]

Do you have a sticker on the underside with the product key - should you (ever) need to reinstall Windows ?
    If not - I suggest that you download a free utility to obtain the code, whilst your laptop is still up and running
    https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ being a popular one
    Once you have this key - WRITE it DOWN and store it safely !!
    You can download a copy of Win 7 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7
    make sure that you download the same version as you have installed - probably "Premium".
    This will only prove necessary - should the restore partition prove inaccessible !
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 1st Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    DoaM
    blocked heatsink]
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Very true. The issue is ... how easy is it to take the laptop apart to gain access to the heatsink? Fortunately on my laptop it is very easy. Half a dozen or so screws and the bottom plate comes off, giving easy access to the RAM and heatsink/fan.

Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 1st Dec 17, 9:55 PM
    • 9,879 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    GunJack
    Unfortunately (for the user/consumer) laptop designers don't put access covers on many these days...meaning it's a full strip-down to get at the heatsink on an awful lot of machines
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 1st Dec 17, 11:13 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    jshm2
    A restore would help a lot, backup your stuff beforehand and run PC decrapifier straight after to get rid of the Toshiba bloatware.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,867Posts Today

7,322Users online

Martin's Twitter