Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gee jay
    • By Gee jay 30th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gee jay
    Old ppi 19 years not mainstream banks
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    Old ppi 19 years not mainstream banks 30th Nov 17 at 2:50 PM
    I took out a loan 1998 60 months paid in full with Colonial finance now Chatham finance I had ppi but was told I would have a better chance of getting loan with ppi.
    I have original agreement and letter from Chatham confirming the takeover of colonial .
    I have sent these to a claims company and they have told me that the sale took place before the finance company was not regulated , this means Colonial was not required to follow guide lines now set by the current regulator, and this would make my complaint very weak.
    And unlikely to be investigated. My agreement states that it is regulated by the 1974 consumer credit act.
    Should I forget it or are my claims company cherry picking as they are pursuing my other claims.
    Thank you for any input on this.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 14,397 Posts
    • 15,194 Thanks
    zx81
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    Claims companies don't cherry pick. They'd fish a half eaten sandwich out of a bin if they saw one.

Given all they do is stick a stamp on an envelope, if they're not even willing to spend 60p on your case, you know it's a loser.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    • 89,919 Posts
    • 56,595 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    I have sent these to a claims company and they have told me that the sale took place before the finance company was not regulated , this means Colonial was not required to follow guide lines now set by the current regulator,
    Regulation of insurance started Jan 2005. Banks were members of an earlier body. That is why they have to go back further. However, brokers and small lenders do not.

So, considering yours is 1998 and repaid by 2003, the information seems correct.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin