Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Racky Roo
    • By Racky Roo 30th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 36Thanks
    Racky Roo
    Faulty Carpet but only in 2 of 4 rooms, where do I stand
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    Faulty Carpet but only in 2 of 4 rooms, where do I stand 30th Nov 17 at 2:48 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm after a bit of advice before I call the carpet company and try to agree a compromise
    I ordered a new carpet for my whole flat; 2 bedrooms, a lounge/diner and hall as well as a new coir mat.
    It was fitted on 21st September and as soon as it was laid I saw there were 2 lines in the lounge carpet as well as lots of plucks in the hall. I called the company and they sent an inspector a couple of weeks later and agreed those carpets were faulty.

Last week they came to re-fit them and after ripping up the faulty carpets the fitters realised they had forgotten the new grippers (the other carpets hadn't been laid very tight and I was told I needed new grippers) so they said they would come back today and fit it so to save time and effort I agreed not to bother laying the faulty carpet again and I'd just have underlay as it was just for a week.

Today the fitters arrive and as they go to lay them they see both the carpets have several lines in them again (they are weave faults not pole marks) and plucks - I could have cried.

The shop are suggesting I come in and choose a new hall and lounge carpet as they are saying this one is obviously rubbish quality but I live in a flat and you can see the bedrooms from the hall so I want it all the same.

What are my rights in this situation? Can I ask for a full refund of all rooms including fitting and go elseware? Or am I stuck with needing to find another carpet from the shop and having to put up with different carpets in each room? or can I ask for a new carpet for all rooms so they match with no cost to me?

Need to get this resolved this weekend as it's freezing with only underlay but am dreading having to have carpets fitted again as all my wardrobes and hall cupboards are built in with the same carpet

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 10,294 Posts
    • 7,223 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    You are entitled to get what you originally ordered, ie a single type of carpet without fault for all rooms specified. If they wont give you that then get a refund and go elsewhere. There's no way I'd accept different carpets in different rooms as a "compromise".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin