Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 104Thanks
    helpplsmane
    Council Tax question
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    Council Tax question 30th Nov 17 at 2:44 PM
    Hello, next year (September 2018) I will be moving in to a flat with 2 fellow students. My girlfriend, an Argentine living in Spain, is going to spend a gap year living with me before going back to Spain to begin university. I am wondering if this would affect our council tax situation, given that a house of students wouldn't pay any at all. If she is here temporarily and has another main residence (albeit abroad) would we still have to pay?

Thanks
Page 2
    • CIS
    • By CIS 30th Nov 17, 3:55 PM
    • 10,116 Posts
    • 5,790 Thanks
    CIS
    I thought this might change the issue but nobody seemed to mention it so assumed I was wrong. She currently lives in Spain, with her father and brother. She will be staying here from September 2018 to June/July 2019, with a few weekly trips back in between. After June/July 2019, she'll be returning to Spain to where she currently lives. As this is only a temporary stay, would the flat here still be regarded as her main residence?
    Originally posted by helpplsmane
    It wouldn't be regarded as her 'sole or main residence' and , as I said earlier, unless the council want to get in to arguing the finer points of legislation you should be fine.

'Sole or main residence' is actually one of the few points which can be regarded as fair in that a main residence abroad can still be used, they don't automatically consider your main residence in here.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    It wouldn't be regarded as her 'sole or main residence' and , as I said earlier, unless the council want to get in to arguing the finer points of legislation you should be fine.

'Sole or main residence' is actually one of the few points which can be regarded as fair in that a main residence abroad can still be used, they don't automatically consider your main residence in here.

Craig
    Originally posted by CIS
    Excellent. So, to confirm, we wouldn't be liable to pay?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 30th Nov 17, 4:10 PM
    • 10,116 Posts
    • 5,790 Thanks
    CIS
    Excellent. So, to confirm, we wouldn't be liable to pay?
    On the basis of what you've said regarding her occupation and the student status of the occupiers then no (allowing for the council not wanting to argue the finer points of legislation).

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 30th Nov 17, 6:02 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Good Lord - that IS the full council tax, even includes the GLA extra! Seems Wandsworth is silly cheap - band A in my area is over a grand, and our band C costs more than Wandsworth's most expensive property!
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 30th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Will she be named on the tenancy agreement out of interest?

Also she’s the liable person, surely she should be paying it not you! The whole point of student exemption is that they aren’t working full time nor really have the opportunity to do so hence can’t really afford to pay it. Someone who isn’t a full time student should be paying their way

(I say this as someone who was the non student and paid the CT whilst my other half was still studying)
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 30th Nov 17, 10:17 PM
    • 5,555 Posts
    • 4,946 Thanks
    00ec25
    Good Lord - that IS the full council tax, even includes the GLA extra! Seems Wandsworth is silly cheap - band A in my area is over a grand, and our band C costs more than Wandsworth's most expensive property!
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    where have you been for the last 2 decades?

Wandsworth was famous for continually reducing its council tax at a time "everyone" else was continuously increasing theirs. (The exception being THE other London borough - which had a different set of problems

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/parliament-and-politics-wandsworth-sets-lowest-council-tax-1495687.html
    Last edited by 00ec25; 30-11-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 1st Dec 17, 1:44 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    Will she be named on the tenancy agreement out of interest?

Also she’s the liable person, surely she should be paying it not you! The whole point of student exemption is that they aren’t working full time nor really have the opportunity to do so hence can’t really afford to pay it. Someone who isn’t a full time student should be paying their way

(I say this as someone who was the non student and paid the CT whilst my other half was still studying)
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    Right now I’m not sure if she’ll be named. I don’t know if that’s a legal requirement, something the landlord would want or anything along those lines - any advice would be appreciated.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I have a little left over from my student loan each year, work during the holidays and a little during term time. I stay rent free with her and her family when I visit each month (though obviously contribute towards food and other things), she’ll be contributing towards rent and food shopping, etc. when she comes. We’ll share the cost of everything else, so it makes sense to share the cost of this too, we’re both benefiting from her staying with me. She’s also going to be trying to save money towards her own education in Spain, so I don’t mind, in fact I prefer, to help her with any costs (within reason) while she’s here if it benefits her education and long term future in any way.
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 1st Dec 17, 1:47 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    where have you been for the last 2 decades?

Wandsworth was famous for continually reducing its council tax at a time "everyone" else was continuously increasing theirs. (The exception being THE other London borough - which had a different set of problems

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/parliament-and-politics-wandsworth-sets-lowest-council-tax-1495687.html
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Probably the first and last time that going to university in a Tory area will save me a penny.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 1st Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Comms69
    Probably the first and last time that going to university in a Tory area will save me a penny.

Getting political already, NUS would be so proud!

No, there is no obligation for her to be named on the tenancy
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 1st Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    Getting political already, NUS would be so proud!

No, there is no obligation for her to be named on the tenancy
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Just tongue in cheek boss.

Thanks for your help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter