Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 104Thanks
    helpplsmane
    Council Tax question
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    Council Tax question 30th Nov 17 at 2:44 PM
    Hello, next year (September 2018) I will be moving in to a flat with 2 fellow students. My girlfriend, an Argentine living in Spain, is going to spend a gap year living with me before going back to Spain to begin university. I am wondering if this would affect our council tax situation, given that a house of students wouldn't pay any at all. If she is here temporarily and has another main residence (albeit abroad) would we still have to pay?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 30th Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    Hello, next year (September 2018) I will be moving in to a flat with 2 fellow students. My girlfriend, an Argentine living in Spain, is going to spend a gap year living with me before going back to Spain to begin university. I am wondering if this would affect our council tax situation, given that a house of students wouldn't pay any at all. If she is here temporarily and has another main residence (albeit abroad) would we still have to pay?

Thanks
    Originally posted by helpplsmane
    How is she coming over, what's her visa category?
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 2:47 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:47 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:47 PM
    She's an EU resident with joint Argentine and Spanish citizenship.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 30th Nov 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:52 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:52 PM
    She's an EU resident with joint Argentine and Spanish citizenship.
    ah, in that case yes you'd be liable for council tax (with a 25% discount)
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:00 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:00 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:00 PM
    So we have to pay 75% council tax on a household with 25% liable to pay?
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 19,858 Posts
    • 14,942 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    You would have to pay 75% of the normal council tax rate. There is a discount of 25% when only one person is liable (your partner).
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 30th Nov 17, 3:05 PM
    • 5,566 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:05 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:05 PM
    So we have to pay 75% council tax on a household with 25% liable to pay?
    ? the household would comprise 4 people, but 3 of them appear to qualify as students, and so are technically called "disregards"

4 - 3 = 1
    so for tax purposes there is one person resident in the property and therefore "you" can claim a 25% single person discount.

100% - 25% = 75%
    "you" would have to pay 75% of the full council tax charge

how !"you" decide to share out 75% of the bill across 4 people is a matter for you to argue debate. I suspect your flatmates won't be too keen on having to pay for your GF when they themselves would not pay a penny o their own
    Last edited by 00ec25; 30-11-2017 at 3:08 PM.
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    This country

Just messing, works out about £450. Thanks very much everyone.
    Last edited by helpplsmane; 30-11-2017 at 3:10 PM.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 30th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 5,566 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    This country
    yes, this "free" health service, this "free" fire service, these "free" roads, this "free" waste disposal service.

this freedom to live where you want
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 30th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 10,045 Posts
    • 8,107 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    works out about £450.
    £450 for 75% CT for a year, you must live in a very cheap area, Band A where I live is over £1100 before discount
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    Band C in South West London
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:26 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    how !"you" decide to share out 75% of the bill across 4 people is a matter for you to argue debate. I suspect your flatmates won't be too keen on having to pay for your GF when they themselves would not pay a penny o their own
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Nothing to argue or debate, I wouldn't expect them to pay anything, we'll split it between the two of us.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 30th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Comms69
    Band C in South West London

It varies from area to area (borough in this case), but £1200 - 25% = £900, not £450. So I assume you meant each?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 30th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 10,122 Posts
    • 5,796 Thanks
    CIS
    The key issue is whether or not her 'sole or main residence' is in the property and whether or not she has an 'intention to return' to a property elsewhere*. Providing that her 'sole or main residence' is elsewhere and she intends to return there then she is not resident in the property for Council Tax purposes. As she would not be regarded as resident in that case then she would not affect the Council tax charge on the property unless the council would like to argue the finer points of legislation and what 'occupied' means.

If the property becomes her 'sole or main residence' then there's more issues to consider*.

*As your partner, if she was regarded to have the property as her 'sole or main residence' and if she also had restrictions which prevented her being able to work or claim benefits in the UK then she would not be taken in to account in any case as long as you were a student.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:42 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    The key issue is whether or not her 'sole or main residence' is in the property and whether or not she has an 'intention to return' to a property elsewhere*. Providing that her 'sole or main residence' is elsewhere and she intends to return there then she is not resident in the property for Council Tax purposes. As she would not be regarded as resident in that case then she would not affect the Council tax charge on the property unless the council would like to argue the finer points of legislation and what 'occupied' means.

If the property becomes her 'sole or main residence' then there's more issues to consider*.

*As your partner, if she was regarded to have the property as her 'sole or main residence' and if she also had restrictions which prevented her being able to work or claim benefits in the UK then she would not be taken in to account in any case as long as you were a student.
    Originally posted by CIS
    I thought this might change the issue but nobody seemed to mention it so assumed I was wrong. She currently lives in Spain, with her father and brother. She will be staying here from September 2018 to June/July 2019, with a few weekly trips back in between. After June/July 2019, she'll be returning to Spain to where she currently lives. As this is only a temporary stay, would the flat here still be regarded as her main residence?
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    It varies from area to area (borough in this case), but £1200 - 25% = £900, not £450. So I assume you meant each?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I'm unsure, the website is slightly unclear, but I assumed it was for the whole property:

75% of £616 is £463
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 30th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Comms69
    I'm unsure, the website is slightly unclear, but I assumed it was for the whole property:

75% of £616 is £463
    Wow, that's very cheap!
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:47 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    Wow, that's very cheap!
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Am I right in thinking its for the whole property? Because I really can't afford an extra £1,800 on top of £7,000 in rent and bills.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 30th Nov 17, 3:53 PM
    • 10,122 Posts
    • 5,796 Thanks
    CIS
    Am I right in thinking its for the whole property? Because I really can't afford an extra £1,800 on top of £7,000 in rent and bills.
    The charge will not be as low as what you posted above, that appears just to be one of the 'components' which makes up the total charge. Which borough is it ?

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • helpplsmane
    • By helpplsmane 30th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    helpplsmane
    The charge will not be as low as what you posted above, that appears just to be one of the 'components' which makes up the total charge. Which borough is it ?

Craig
    Originally posted by CIS
    Wandsworth
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin