Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 30th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 11Thanks
    radoslaff
    DD to pay CC
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    DD to pay CC 30th Nov 17 at 2:44 PM
    Hi there,

The story first. I have a Choice Rewards CC with £2500 credit limit and 0% for the next 8 months. Once I reach £2250 I pay £500 in. At the same time I've set up a DD for the minimum payment from my Club Lloyds. It never goes out because I always pay at least £1000 during a statement period and respectively the minimum payment has already been taken.
    So here is my new question:
    If I set up the minimum payment direct debit from my Halifax current account will it then go out in case I go on paying £1000 on average directly from my Lloyds account? I need the bloody DD there.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 30th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 15,111 Thanks
    zx81
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    No. Choice are clearly not calling for a DD if the minimum is paid, from whatever source.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 30th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    You can only setup a DD with one account
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 30th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    You can set up the DD to pay a fixed amount which it will pay irrespective of your manual payment, and will take the minimum if more than the fixed when/if you haven't made a direct payment.
    I've assumed you mean to switch the DD from Lloyds to Halifax? AFAIK you won't be able to do 2 different DDs.
    Last edited by soulsaver; 30-11-2017 at 3:51 PM. Reason: added assumption..
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 30th Nov 17, 4:26 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:26 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:26 PM
    You can set up the DD to pay a fixed amount which it will pay irrespective of your manual payment, and will take the minimum if more than the fixed when/if you haven't made a direct payment.
    I've assumed you mean to switch the DD from Lloyds to Halifax? AFAIK you won't be able to do 2 different DDs.
    Originally posted by soulsaver

Yes, that's what I intend to do, switch the DD. So let we say I set up a DD in Halifax for £10. The tenner will go out irrespectively of my manual payments for £1000? If so, that's a great option.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 30th Nov 17, 4:38 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:38 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:38 PM
    You seem to be over-complicating this - why are you so fixated as to whether or not the DD is called for ? You say you're currently on a 0% promotion - if so, then as long as you pay at least the minimum each month ( whether manually or by DD ), then I can't understand what the problem is. Certainly it's very wise to have the DD in place in case you ever forget to pay manually. But as long as you're paying the minimum then what's the problem ? You just need to remember to either clear or transfer any remaining balance when the promotional period ends.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 30th Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 10,804 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    You seem to be over-complicating this - why are you so fixated as to whether or not the DD is called for ? You say you're currently on a 0% promotion - if so, then as long as you pay at least the minimum each month ( whether manually or by DD ), then I can't understand what the problem is. Certainly it's very wise to have the DD in place in case you ever forget to pay manually. But as long as you're paying the minimum then what's the problem ? You just need to remember to either clear or transfer any remaining balance when the promotional period ends.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Think the OP needs the dd to generate interest or other benefits on the associated current account so wants to make sure it's taken.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 30th Nov 17, 6:46 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:46 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:46 PM
    Think the OP needs the dd to generate interest or other benefits on the associated current account so wants to make sure it's taken.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Ah, OK, thanks - some time after I'd posted I did wonder if that was the issue
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 30th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    OP - it looks to be a timing issue for you.

On your statement it should say

'One-off payments received 2 clear working days before the day your payment is due will reduce or stop the Direct Debit from leaving your account for that month'
    If you send a manual payment the day before/of/after your DD it won't impact it and the DD will still be taken.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 30th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    radoslaff
    OP - it looks to be a timing issue for you.

On your statement it should say

If you send a manual payment the day before/of/after your DD it won't impact it and the DD will still be taken.
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    It does say so. You are right. Still something makes me think that this might be in force only for the minimum payment DD. I'll give it a try with a fixed DD. Thank you Dobbibill.

Originally posted by bigadaj
    That's exactly what I'm after, bigadaj. Thank you.

Originally posted by soulsaver
    I'm going to do it, soulsaver, and once I have the actual outcome, I will post an update. I'm not after 2 DDs, just 1 in Halifax. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin