Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 30th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    • 6,321Posts
    • 11,346Thanks
    GlasweJen
    The 20%
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    The 20% 30th Nov 17 at 2:15 PM
    It looks like I’m one of the exclusive 20% club. A random payment to my account indicates that I’ve been awarded standard daily living during a mandatory reconsideration. Thank you everyone who supported me on the journey, until next time.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 30th Nov 17, 5:51 PM
    • 16,586 Posts
    • 29,022 Thanks
    Ames
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:51 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:51 PM
    Pleased to hear that, although it's ridiculous that you had to go to MR at all.

Anyone who says the system works and that everyone should be assessed regularly (I've seen every 6 months suggested) should read your experiences.

Hopefully you've got a long award.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 30th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    Pleased to hear that, although it's ridiculous that you had to go to MR at all.

Anyone who says the system works and that everyone should be assessed regularly (I've seen every 6 months suggested) should read your experiences.

Hopefully you've got a long award.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Doubt it, the initial enhanced mobility award was for 3 years. It’s frustrating as my sisters fairly well controlled bipolar disorder managed to get her a 10 year double enhanced award which is just crazy, she doesn’t have anything like the life I have
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th Nov 17, 9:56 PM
    • 8,631 Posts
    • 5,104 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:56 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:56 PM
    I can't remember where I read about it, but apparently the people dealing with disability payments admitted that, due to huge backlogs, did put a lot of applications through 'on the nod' ,so it's likely that there are some who were historically given a better award than they would have achieved through the normal process.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 1st Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    I can't remember where I read about it, but apparently the people dealing with disability payments admitted that, due to huge backlogs, did put a lot of applications through 'on the nod' ,so it's likely that there are some who were historically given a better award than they would have achieved through the normal process.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    She transitioned from DLA to PIP in summer and this was a PIP renewal in August. I just feel like physical disabilities are being chucked aside as we can overcome everything with “aids and adaptions” but mental health is untouchable. For the record my sister has never attempted suicide or been imprisoned or gambled away thousands like people with severe bipolar disorder have. She doesn’t even take medication for her bipolar, quite frankly I think her GP was a bit over enthusiastic when diagnosing her but that’s another story.

NOT BUYING IT
    • Ames
    • By Ames 1st Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 16,586 Posts
    • 29,022 Thanks
    Ames
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    She transitioned from DLA to PIP in summer and this was a PIP renewal in August. I just feel like physical disabilities are being chucked aside as we can overcome everything with “aids and adaptions” but mental health is untouchable. For the record my sister has never attempted suicide or been imprisoned or gambled away thousands like people with severe bipolar disorder have. She doesn’t even take medication for her bipolar, quite frankly I think her GP was a bit over enthusiastic when diagnosing her but that’s another story.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Her GP diagnosed her? How is that even possible? I have Bipolar and it's been diagnosed/the diagnosis confirmed by many psychiatrists over the years, usually following a suicide attempt or other reason for hospital intervention.

Ignoring the benefits issue a GP should not be giving someone a label that can have serious consequences for the rest of their life. There was a thread elsewhere on the board recently about someone with a personality disorder diagnosis and the impact it's had on her life.

I'm really shocked.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 1st Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 8,631 Posts
    • 5,104 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    Mental illness must be one of the easiest ailments to fake, as there is usually no physical proof for diagnosis.

It amazes me that so many can falsely get away with a claim of back problems which prevent them (longterm) from functioning properly, as an MRI shows great detail.

There was a group of 'back sufferers' on a tv programme that said it regularly told others that faking was easy because doctors couldn't prove you wrong. What can they claim causes the problem if bone, nerve or blood vessel damages show up clearly.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 1st Dec 17, 10:33 PM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:33 PM
    Her GP diagnosed her? How is that even possible? I have Bipolar and it's been diagnosed/the diagnosis confirmed by many psychiatrists over the years, usually following a suicide attempt or other reason for hospital intervention.

Ignoring the benefits issue a GP should not be giving someone a label that can have serious consequences for the rest of their life. There was a thread elsewhere on the board recently about someone with a personality disorder diagnosis and the impact it's had on her life.

I'm really shocked.
    Originally posted by Ames
    She’s never been in front of a psychiatrist in her life, she has no hospital appointments at all. My sister gets double enhanced and manages to fly all over the UK and mainland Europe every weekend to accompany her child who competes in sport. Making her own way to the airport, navigating around foreign countries, taking care of her own and her child’s needs abroad, the whole thing is a farce.

NOT BUYING IT
    • _shel
    • By _shel 2nd Dec 17, 5:44 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    _shel
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:44 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:44 AM
    She’s never been in front of a psychiatrist in her life, she has no hospital appointments at all. My sister gets double enhanced and manages to fly all over the UK and mainland Europe every weekend to accompany her child who competes in sport. Making her own way to the airport, navigating around foreign countries, taking care of her own and her child’s needs abroad, the whole thing is a farce.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    So she’s lying on her claim form?
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 2nd Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    So she’s lying on her claim form?
    Originally posted by _shel
    I’ve never seen her claim form so I wouldn’t know but she did say that the nurse at her assessment had a brother with bipolar and she was very sympathetic and her assessment only lasted 20 minutes.

NOT BUYING IT
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,248 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good result for you
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 5th Dec 17, 11:11 PM
    • 4,338 Posts
    • 5,422 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Wow, I am diagnosed with Bipolar & it was after many years with the CMHT & various Psychiatrists, when a CPN saw me Hypomanic & confirmed the up side to my Consultant Psychiatrist ... i've never heard of a GP diagnosing it either
    • phillw
    • By phillw 6th Dec 17, 12:24 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    Mental illness must be one of the easiest ailments to fake, as there is usually no physical proof for diagnosis.
    It also means that it can take a long time for the condition to be accurately diagnosed and treated.

Plus most people don't take mental health issues seriously. If you're going to fake something then it would seem pointless to fake something that most people will look at you and think you're faking it.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I have no idea how anyone can fake mental health issues. I've spent more than 10 years fighting for a diagnosis for my daughter. You clearly have never suffered any mental health issues.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 8,631 Posts
    • 5,104 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I have no idea how anyone can fake mental health issues. I've spent more than 10 years fighting for a diagnosis for my daughter. You clearly have never suffered any mental health issues.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Referring to the last sentence :actually ,I have, but luckily short term and my father had dementia in old age.

A good actor would observe and act accordingly. Unless caught out acting 'normally' who is to prove they are faking, as there isn't always something such as abnormal brain pattern or tissue damage or absence to prove a mental condition exists ?

Do not agree that Max Vento makes a very good job of copying condition, especially as he is very young ? His character's behaviour is very similar to that of a man, on yesterday's tv, who actually is autistic.

I can't think of any long term,( as opposed to short term which wouldn't count anyway) back problem that would have no proof via some kind of scan, yet bad backs used to be the most common scam.

A father at my children's school had never been known to work, yet he fathered 10 children less years; brilliant for someone with a bad back, yet he had jobs for his older sons which he did.

I regretted giving them a hooded pushchair for one poor child who was pushed about ,in winter, in one of those buggies with deckchair stripes, only to find it being used for the man's paper rounds (kept the papers beautifully dry), while the child stayed in the cold uncomfortable buggy.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 06-12-2017 at 5:53 PM.
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 7th Dec 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    faerielight
    glad you got a positive result
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 7th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Have now received the decision, got 4 points for managing therapy and 2 for needing supervision in the shower so theoretically should have got enhanced DL but they deducted me 2 for preparing and cooking a meal because I can sit down (lol) and use a microwave. The DM also states that she won’t award points for eating because although I use plastic plates I don’t take long to eat so she won’t award for the supervision required while eating, I’m not aware that I take a longer or shorter amount of time than anyone else to eat.

I’m considering appealing it and going for enhanced, as predicted it’s a 3 year award.

NOT BUYING IT
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 9th Dec 17, 6:11 AM
    • 10,999 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Pleased to hear Op that you've had some success at MR. I suppose you'll have to weigh up on the appeal option and that is hard to advise on when there's real human impacts as well as technical considerations to think of. Good luck.

On this point made... there certainly is that attitude out there and belief that this is the case. I have always been inclined to go along with that thinking... but I'm sitting here at ungodly hour of the morning and thinking... hmm.. actually... I don't necessarily agree with convention after all. I think we are extremely poor at comprehending mental illness beyond the stereotypical. PIP and WCA (for ESA) assessments mirror that where mental state exams set out to look for ridiculously simplified symptoms. I think mental illness is easier to fake because people open the door to being victim to fakery. I have long suffered mental illness and I would be extremely confident someone would find it difficult to fake serious mental illness in my presence over a period of hours or more. Like a lot of sufferers you can be extremely well embedded in concealing symptoms and that too is something I'd be consciously aware of if looking for indicators... many MI sufferers are engaged in a ritualised act throughout your interaction. I'm yet to meet a medical professional who I felt even deserved to be in the same room as me with them as the expert... none have impressed me with their skills/experience. Their insight has been fairly useless to truth... there's a complete lack of imagination. Into the context of these assessments you are in the lap of the gods sat opposite a nurse at a PC. You have to laugh before you cry when thinking that they'll be looking for signs of shaking to spot indicators of anxiety in someone with 30 years experience of hiding symptoms of anxiety... that's in the few moments they actually look at you and can probably only see half your body.

In the end fakery success is a two way process... it takes one to try it... and one to readily receive it. The system is set up for superficial exploration of truth.... it may be that some have to fake things to get correctly assessed but I would not advise it.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • sandra1980123
    • By sandra1980123 9th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    sandra1980123
    Very true muttley,I have 50 years experience of hiding it and didn't even realise that I was doing it until I had a major meltdown
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 9th Dec 17, 10:03 PM
    • 10,999 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Very true muttley,I have 50 years experience of hiding it and didn't even realise that I was doing it until I had a major meltdown
    Originally posted by sandra1980123
    I worked with someone for 6 years.. when I told them I never used to eat lunch at work because of mental illness they remarked "I thought you just didn't like Greggs".
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin