I get PIP now. What else can I get?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hoogle wrote: »
    not knowing enough details but things to look out for.

A local authority Bus pass which works all over the country and london busses
    Disability premiums on your ESA payments vary from £15, £32, or £62 a week on top of your ESA but have conditions based on living alone/partner is a carer or also on benefits etc.
    Council tax reduction Doubt you will get it on severe learning disability if your pip is primarily mobility based but worth a look.
    2 for 1 tickets normally you can get someone in for things like cinema, theater days out etc.
    If you like going to the cinema then look at getting an unlimited card for cineworld approx £15 a month and if you pay the £6 for a cea card then 2 of you get to watch unlimited movies for the monthly fee.
    Rail card approx £30 a year where you and a companion get 1 third of ticket price and I believe they still upgrade you to first class for no extra cost.
    Radar Key for disabled toilets but also started seeing more uses for this key like secured rooms with lockers in etc
    get registered as disabled with local authority this also usually has its own schemes free days out discounted tickets and holidays etc.
    Concert tickets are usually 241 and usually get special disabled area where it is not so busy and usually closer to the stage.
    Incorrect. The £32 disability premium isn't payable on top of ESA.
  • RandyRos
    RandyRos Posts: 561 Forumite
    Firstly, I am not trying to rip off the Benefits system, like some of your comments have insinuated. I just want to know what I am entitled to. These comments remind me why I don't post on here often.

I also don't want to expose my personal details on a public forum.

My PIP is the only benefit coming into the house, yes hubby works, but when I apply for anything I am 100% honest about our situation, and if we don't get it, we don't get it. I was sent a leaflet about the free car tax with my PIP award letter, though our tax isn't due till next year. So I will find out when I apply if hubby's commuting matters, because I will tell them he works and we can only afford one vehicle.

When I was made aware of the Blue Badge scheme, I checked my PIP award letter and I have the requisite 8 points PLUS a few more. I have yet to apply for the badge.

I just wanted some advice about any other help I could get, that I am entitled to, not to have multiple posts telling me I can't have the car tax free cos hubby works. I didn't tell you that he works until this post.
    If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all :)
  • RandyRos wrote: »
    Firstly, I am not trying to rip off the Benefits system, like some of your comments have insinuated. I just want to know what I am entitled to. These comments remind me why I don't post on here often.

My PIP is the only benefit coming into the house, yes hubby works, but when I apply for anything I am 100% honest about our situation, and if we don't get it, we don't get it. I was sent a leaflet about the free car tax with my PIP award letter, though our tax isn't due till next year. So I will find out when I apply if hubby's commuting matters, because I will tell them he works and we can only afford one vehicle.

When I was made aware of the Blue Badge scheme, I checked my PIP award letter and I have the requisite 8 points PLUS a few more. I have yet to apply for the badge.

I just wanted some advice about any other help I could get, that I am entitled to, not to have multiple posts telling me I can't have the car tax free cos hubby works. I didn't tell you that he works until this post.

Hi RandyRos

You may be entitled to the WarmHome Disount from your utility provider(most of the big ones are running the scheme)
    it's £140 that is credited to your electric bill and you would qualify because you are on PIP.
    I don't think you need to be living alone to get this.

You will need to apply for it soon as there is a cut off date but most allow you to apply on line.

The Blue Badge can also be applied for online and then you can send in copies of your PIP letter if required.

:)
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Hi Rnady Ros, can't speak for anyone else but apologies if my post came across as you describe, that wasn't my intention at all - I was trying to help you avoid accidentally breaking the law (and the consequences of your husband being caught doing so)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    You can actually get a RADAR key for accessible toilets online, but you are certainly entitled to one.

My local authority has issued me with a bus pass. I hope to use it again, now that I have bought my own wheelchair.
    Your husband may also be able to travel free or for half-price, as your carer.

You can reclaim VAT on the purchase of some items for health purposes.
    I was told that I was eligible for a Warm Home discount as I received PIP, the application is in, anyway. Never applied before, so no idea if I will get it.

Some organisations include disability benefits in with concessions, others don't.

I was able to apply for my blue badge renewal online, I took a selfie to do it, you don't need it to be a passport photo. Saved a lot of hassle.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    w06 wrote: »
    Hi Rnady Ros, can't speak for anyone else but apologies if my post came across as you describe, that wasn't my intention at all - I was trying to help you avoid accidentally breaking the law (and the consequences of your husband being caught doing so)

This goes for me too - I didn't mean to make you feel bad OP, there's so much bad info out there that a lot of people end up making mistakes, I was just trying to clarify things.

Off the top of my head, there's the Disabled Person's Railcard, CEA (cinema card - free carer ticket), some other places allow free carer tickets (gigs, theatre, theme parks).

There's a long thread on the disability money saving forum, The Great Freebie Hunt or something like that, which lists what's available.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Warm Home discount seemed to be only the larger providers, when i was doing a price comparison search it was one of things they flagged, and their qualifying criteria varies slightly with provider - I was entitled to it (£140-vat) with Scottish Power because of low income and PIP but not entitled to it with same income and PIP with EON, save more than that on the cheaper bill though, hopefully. You'd need to apply asap i think if you are entitled as they close applications in november or december
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    RandyRos wrote: »

My posts certainly didn't advice you this. I was only stating what the DVLA clearly state on their rules about disabled car tax and what your hubby could and couldn't use the car for.
  • Thanks for that.., I've just changed to EDF and they provide Warm Home discount. Whether I applied in time I don't know.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi RandyRos

You may be entitled to the WarmHome Disount from your utility provider(most of the big ones are running the scheme)
    it's £140 that is credited to your electric bill and you would qualify because you are on PIP.
    I don't think you need to be living alone to get this.

You will need to apply for it soon as there is a cut off date but most allow you to apply on line.

The Blue Badge can also be applied for online and then you can send in copies of your PIP letter if required.

:)

Just having PIP does not automatically entitle you to the Warm Home discount.

EONs criteria is Guaranteed Pension Credit - automatic qualification
    or
    below - low income

Not receiving the Guarantee element of Pension Credit and either:

In receipt of Council Tax reduction for low income and born on or before 31 March 1954 (25% single person's occupancy reduction is not eligible) In receipt of the Savings Element of Pension Credit only

Child Tax Credit:

Child Tax Credit (or the Universal Credit equivalent) with a total household annual income of £16,190 or less

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance:

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (contribution based employment and support allowance is not a qualifying benefit)

Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, with any of the following:

A disability or pensioner premium (disability/enhanced or severe disability premium or pensioner or high pensioner premium) Disabled child premium Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element A child under 5 living with you Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (DLA/PIP alone is not a qualifying benefit) MATEX or MEDEX certificate

# (Disability/enhanced/severe disability premium or pensioner/higher pensioner premium)

Working Tax credit with a relevant income of £16,190 or less with either of the following:

Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment MATEX or MEDEX certificate

Universal Credit with a total household income of £16,190 or less with either of the following:

Limited capability for work element (with or without a work-related activity element) A child element (with or without the disabled child element)
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts