Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • remosquito
    • By remosquito 30th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 18Thanks
    remosquito
    VW PCP finance + Admiral Insurance - who can repair the car after an accident?
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    VW PCP finance + Admiral Insurance - who can repair the car after an accident? 30th Nov 17 at 12:55 PM
    Well it had to happen one day... over 15 years trouble free motoring but this morning ran into the back of someone. Having never dealt with this before I suddenly feel totally unknowledgeable.

Firstly, my insurers (Admiral) say it's a "fault accident", i.e. I am automatically at fault for running into the back of another car.

Admiral have arranged to move the car to one of their approved repairers. It is likely to be repairable, not a write-off. Although I have not actually heard back from the repairer yet.

What I am not sure about is the implications of it being on the VW PCP finance. My VW documents just say I am "responsible for any damage to the vehicle, in excess of fair wear and tear."

So even though VW "own" the car, can I just go to any Admiral approved repairer?
Page 1
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 30th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    As long as the car is repaired to an adequate standard, then there is no issue. PCP companies are just bankers, not car people.

Where you may have an issue is at handover time where they might deem the repair inadequate and you would be liable, however, I would expect Admiral to have reputable repairers. When the car is returned to you, treat it exactly as if it were your own, and ensure that the repairs are properly done.

PCP does not depend on you not having had an accident to retain your side of the bargain, and it would be unreasonable of them to make a charge against you simply because it had been in an accident - that's their risk in terms of the value - as long as the repair is done to a professional standard.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 10,307 Posts
    • 7,227 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    Just to add you do have the right, even with a fault claim, to get your car repaired at any repairer of your choosing but you may not get a courtesy car offered by your insurer and some may even charge you a higher excess. Check the T&Cs of your policy.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 30th Nov 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15,775 Posts
    • 14,075 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:57 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:57 PM
    Firstly, my insurers (Admiral) say it's a "fault accident", i.e. I am automatically at fault for running into the back of another car.
    Originally posted by remosquito
    Not "automatically", but the circumstances in which the car in front of you is at fault would have to be fairly exceptional - like it changed lanes in front of you leaving you insufficient space to stop.

What I am not sure about is the implications of it being on the VW PCP finance. My VW documents just say I am "responsible for any damage to the vehicle, in excess of fair wear and tear."
    There y'go, then.

So even though VW "own" the car, can I just go to any Admiral approved repairer?
    Yes, if it doesn't explicitly say otherwise in the lease.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 30th Nov 17, 10:35 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:35 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:35 PM
    Just to add you do have the right, even with a fault claim, to get your car repaired at any repairer of your choosing but you may not get a courtesy car offered by your insurer and some may even charge you a higher excess. Check the T&Cs of your policy.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I don't think in the instance the OP should go down this route ie if repairs are sub standard then the OP would have no come back against Admiral and/or their repair centre.
    Show me the man and Iíll show you the crime Beria/Momentum
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 1st Dec 17, 10:16 AM
    • 10,307 Posts
    • 7,227 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:16 AM
    I don't think in the instance the OP should go down this route ie if repairs are sub standard then the OP would have no come back against Admiral and/or their repair centre.
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    Go down what route, getting it repaired at a repairer of his choosing, ie a VW authorised repairer?

If the repair is sub standard then he'll still have comeback against the repairer, and not only that VWFS will be less inclined to question the repair if completed by an official VW repair shop.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,793Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter