Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vienly
    • By vienly 30th Nov 17, 12:18 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 12Thanks
    vienly
    Direct Debit Security Issue?
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:18 PM
    Direct Debit Security Issue? 30th Nov 17 at 12:18 PM
    Hi All,

Not sure if this has been discussed before however this seems like a potential security issue.
    I was talking to my wife about direct debits and how I could take money out of her account without her knowing and she didn't believe me, so I ran a test and set up a DD from my Tesco Internet Save pulling £1 from her Natwest current account.

It took 10 days before the £1 was taken however she had no notifications/letters or anything telling her a DD was set up.

So does this mean if anyone had your sort code/account number they could set up a DD to your account and pull £1000's out without you knowing until it's too late?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 30th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,486 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    Very well known (see Jeremy Clarkson and IIRC Greenpeace), but the account owner is always covered by the DD Guarantee.

But it can only be done if the person taking the money is a DD originator, and as far as I know Tesco is one of the few organisations that allow retail account customers to do this. And if you did it with nefarious aims I would expect that your account would be shut down tout suite.
    • vienly
    • By vienly 30th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    vienly
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    Thanks for the reassurance, didn't know about the DD Guarantee
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 30th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    That's funny. I've tried that several times with my wife because we needed direct debits and Tesco would never let me set up the direct debit if I was not the account holder of the target account.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 30th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,486 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    That's funny. I've tried that several times with my wife because we needed direct debits and Tesco would never let me set up the direct debit if I was not the account holder of the target account.
    Originally posted by radoslaff
    How would they know? As stated, all you need to set up a DD is the sortcode and account number.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 30th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    Tesco tell you the debited account must be in your name while you're setting the DD up - but it doesn't stop you if it isn't.

Your wife would be able to see it in her DD listing on her ac - and cancel it if she wished, but the bank doesn't draw your attention to it's new existence.

I think banks should tell ac holders that a new DD has been set up on their account, but AFAIK I know none of them do... and I have a LOT of DDs.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 30th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    Tesco have also been increasingly asking for a bank statement for the account the DD is to be pulled from, according to posters on here. It may be that it is a random check and not everyone, but it may discourage people from trying to pull from an account that is not theirs.

Anyone who is asked to send in a statement (which would have to be processed by a human) presumably can't then pull from a spouse's account, even with their permission.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 30th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    Tesco have also been increasingly asking for a bank statement for the account the DD is to be pulled from, according to posters on here. It may be that it is a random check and not everyone, but it may discourage people from trying to pull from an account that is not theirs.

Anyone who is asked to send in a statement (which would have to be processed by a human) presumably can't then pull from a spouse's account, even with their permission.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Their system electronically verifies the account details provided match the customer's through credit reference agencies. However some may slip through the net e.g. for recently opened accounts which aren't yet reported to CRAs.

If the system can't verify the account, a statement is requested.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

4,644Users online

Martin's Twitter