Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 473Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 8
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 6th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Ooh, biodegradable cling film? I'm going to look for that. I use it as little as possible, but sometimes it's the most practical solution.

I've read articles and blogs about zero waste with interest, but I think for most of us it's just not practical. I try to always buy my veg loose, without plastic bags; I try to buy stuff in packaging that can be recycled, but it's not easy, for example spinach or kale always come in plastic bags that are non-recyclable. I do my best to minimise packaging, and recycle as much as I can.

I think GQ has got it right above; my life would make some of my friends' habits look like Louis XIV, although I'm probably living less simply than others on here. It's not easy being green!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Zero Waste is more hardcore than that.

It is about eliminating all waste - even recycling.

A lot of the plastic that goes into recycling can only be reused once. When the item made from recycled plastic comes to the end of its life then it ends up in landfill anyway.

So whilst recycling is better than landfill it is only slightly better. Also, a lot of what we think can be recycled usually cannot be. A lot of foil packages (e.g cat food pouches) are foil and plastic and the two materials cannot be separated and go into landfill. Even most teabags have plastic in them.

The idea is that you try and buy no packaging at all taking your own containers to shops for items such as meat, fish, cheese etc and buying dry goods in bulk too in your own containers.

Actually, the idea is that you try and not buy, or try and buy secondhand. Bea Johnson is one of the most well know Zero Wasters. The image on her website here:

https://zerowastehome.com/about/bea/

Shows how much waste her family of four (+ dog) create every year.

Really impressive, but impossible for most of us.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 6th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Really enjoying everyone's input in this thread, although our family has been struck down with the winter vomiting virus so I have not had a great deal of time to read every comment. I seem to be the only one who hasn't caught it.........yet
    Originally posted by SimpleLiving
    "I seem to be the only one who hasn't caught it" - Your doomed! I would move into the shed with a bottle of Dettol

Hope you all get better soon - an awful thing to have.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,704 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Ultimately, there isn't a right way to do simplicity, there's a right level of simplicity for each of us. We'll know when we hit the sweet spot.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Well said. Being a person of very low self-esteem, I for one have to watch that I don't feel like I've failed because someone else is living a "simpler" life than I am.
    Thank you! Great ideas! I think the main thing should be our mental health! No more stress, no more overworking. Just let's love ourselves!
    Originally posted by kettymerry34
    Again, well said. Loving myself is something I've never gotten the hang of.
    I've read articles and blogs about zero waste with interest, but I think for most of us it's just not practical.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I agree; I try not to buy anything with extraneous packaging, but sometimes when someone, for instance, sends you something through the post, you have no control over how it's packed.
    Btw, what does everyone do with the contents of their vacuum cleaner? Mine consists of roughly 50% household dust and 50% dog hair from my various canine guests; and I can see nothing else for it but to bin it.

Simple Living virus-begone vibes to your family; hope you manage to avoid catching it.

Today's simple pleasure: half-an-hour of quality time with Daisy Dog before her owners came to collect her (she's been with me while they were on holiday) stroking her, getting out the last bits of loose hair so that she goes home tidy (she's a Shiba Inu cross, and sheds extremely fine "filaments" of hair in little tufts) and receiving back that unique type of love that only a dog can give.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    LameWolf (can I just say I LOVE your sigline and always have?) I have read that household dander contains a fair bit of synthetics from textiles such as carpets, upholstery, clothing etc and also contaminants from pavement which we've tracked in from our shoes and, in my case, my wally trolley's wheels. And that it isn't recommended for composting for those reasons. But dog hair is very compostable.

I must admit to being a bit of a ZH house (the Johnsons' house) groupie as I love the look of that woman's home. Couldn't aspire to it in a million years, I spend my life in earth tones and natural handy-crafty fibres, but I love the clean and uncluttered lines.

Yeah, they'll always be someone who lives with two changes of clothes, a few choice high-end electonics and who blogs (or brags) about their location independant lifestyle and is constantly moving around the planet. I find myself wondering if they have any family members and what dear old mum or dad or their granny thinks of never seeing them unless via skype?

That can look superficially exciting but I've long since come the conclusion that I'm a homebody with a deep sense of attachment to places such as this quaint and ancient city. I like the feel of 1500 years' worth of settlement under my feet. Plus the 9,000 y.o. flint tools I find up on the allotment. They're still pretty damned sharp, too.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,704 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LameWolf (can I just say I LOVE your sigline and always have?) I have read that household dander contains a fair bit of synthetics from textiles such as carpets, upholstery, clothing etc and also contaminants from pavement which we've tracked in from our shoes and, in my case, my wally trolley's wheels. And that it isn't recommended for composting for those reasons. But dog hair is very compostable.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Oh indeed, what I brush out of them and collect as "pure dog hair" is composted or put out for bird nest lining etc; but I can't separate the huge amount that I vacuum up off the carpets from the rest of the household grot. The squirrels got some super-duper drey lining this week; as I mentioned, Daisy sheds in tufts, and it's extremely fine stuff, and I'd imagine, very warm.
    My next guest doesn't shed much (long-haired JRT) but I have one coming in January (Golden Lab) who leaves a little "puddle" of yellow hair wherever she sits; even when brushed regularly.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 9,430 Posts
    • 55,666 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    I read a tip somewhere about collecting fluff from a tumble dryer, stuffing it into the tube from a toilet roll and using it as a firelighter. Don’t know if household dust will work, though.
    Last edited by Nargleblast; 06-12-2017 at 8:47 PM. Reason: Firelighter, not firefighter - blooming tablet!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,637 Thanks
    fuddle
    I learned that from GQ years ago nargle, it's probably been from 'er!

Urine? Does anyone use their urine as fertiliser for fruit and veggie growing. It occurred to me that I'll happily feed my soil my rabbits wee wee and lead me to think about my freebie offerings. What do you think?
    • maryb
    • By maryb 6th Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 3,447 Posts
    • 41,038 Thanks
    maryb
    Apparently male pee is an excellent compost activator - but I have no clue why it's better than she-wee
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • amber03
    • By amber03 6th Dec 17, 9:49 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 4,711 Thanks
    amber03
    Well if it's because in my house DH sits a lot so the urine has time to mature, whilst I'm running around the whole time my urine gets jiggled about a lot. Plus I think he can hold a lot more than me due to the three DS's I gave birth to.x
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £310
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,688 Thanks
    Floss
    Maybe also hormonal
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,688 Thanks
    Floss
    Reported
    • amber03
    • By amber03 6th Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 4,711 Thanks
    amber03
    Yep same here. Had to read it twice as wondered what it was on about.
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £310
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Dec 17, 10:20 PM
    • 9,430 Posts
    • 55,666 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Ditto for me too. That blooming tinned luncheon meat gets everywhere!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 6th Dec 17, 10:52 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 20,973 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I think she-wee is just as good, it's just harder to apply! My male friend regularly 'waters' his compost bin after dark. I think I'd be arrested if I tried!

I know zero waste means no waste, I just meant I try and reduce landfill by recycling. I have read the zero waste blog but as I recall, she buys a lot of her food from a supermarket where you can buy loose food and put it in containers. I haven't got a hope round here. I shall go on doing what little I can, I reckon my black bin is never more than half full, and most of that is (non compostable) cat litter. It's always a compromise.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 6th Dec 17, 11:41 PM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 11,796 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    So I have always understood that male wee is a good compost accelerator but there are too many hormones in womens.

Have I been peeing in my bucket in my shed at the allotment and slinging it over the fence in vain?
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £271.08/Dec £46.99
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1628.14 miles
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Dec 17, 7:10 AM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    So I have always understood that male wee is a good compost accelerator but there are too many hormones in womens.

Have I been peeing in my bucket in my shed at the allotment and slinging it over the fence in vain?
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Mammalian pee (inc us) is a vital part of the life cycle of plants so it'd be a shame to waste it; I pee in a jug on the lottie and tip it into the compost bin so's not to waste the nutrients.

The hormonal profile of pee can be surprising, I recall reading about how somebody was reconstucting a recipe for dye from many centuries ago where the mordant (fixative for the dye) specified the inclusion of the urine of pre-pubescent boys. Chemical analysis revealed that there was something in (or not in, can't exactly recall) which meant that urine worked and no other kind did.

One wonders how many years of experimentation got to the point of finding that out originally.

Wastefulness is one of the great frustrations of my life and something I read about and think about more than is probably healthy. I also get very frustrated with the party line that unpackaged food is cheaper than packaged therefore you save money as well as the environment.

Not in my part of the forest it isn't. Tosspots carrots loose? 60p a kilo. Same store plastic bagged carrots 45p kilo. Plus many other examples. And the street market nearby is more expensive for veg then the Tosspots, even though its a metro store not a superstore. I think, for having read her blog and watched some media clips that Bea shops at Whole Foods. She also takes her totes and jars to the store by car. I wonder how she'd manage if she had to shop on foot, on foot inc public transport, or via pushbike with a couple of heavy bags full of glass jars?

If nothing else, all that clanking glass would make people wonder if she was a secret lemonade drinker.....
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Dec 17, 7:51 AM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    But would any difference between male and female versions vanish (or become very insignificant at least) come apres menopause? As the hormone balance certainly changes then - for both sexes I understand...

Errrm...though have to admit that I'd be wary of eating anything from a garden that's "watered" that way......(though...yep...I know it's harmless etc etc).

Though I've only "put my foot down" and refused to eat anything from a garden a former friend (for all sorts of "fings they did" reasons) let their dog crap on. Dog crap and potatoes for dinner = NO chance....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-12-2017 at 7:57 AM.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 7th Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,637 Thanks
    fuddle
    I know money, it's something that I am primed to think eeeeeeeew about too but on reading a bit about the subject last night a gardener shouldn't wee water (and it should be well watered down too) produce that is going to be eaten in a month. So it seems there's a cut off point that is a little less eeeeeeeew but I do think I'll be adding a wee bit (terrible pun) to the dalek and over the winter I guess there no harm in adding it to my squash and pumpkim patch too.

Lots for me to learn on this!
    Last edited by fuddle; 07-12-2017 at 8:05 AM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Is guessing my sorta "mushroom" type compost stuff I threw around on my garden/plonk in with large "permanent" type plants is probably doing some good personally. "Mycorrhizal" (is that the spelling of from memory) stuff.

Well I keep seeing mushrooms popping up in my soil now - so I presume that means it "took"...shame they're not edible ones
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 7th Dec 17, 9:26 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Vacuum cleaner contents are great for a wormery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin