Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 1,131Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 30
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 9,647 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm watching a YouTube video with a woman called More Melody and she is talking about minimalism and organisation tips/ lifehacks.

Interesting. I keep getting up and going to rearrange/tidy up stuff on her advice. I have cleaned my bathroom, wiped down all my mirrors and organised my fridge and my pots and pans cupboard while watching her.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 3/60
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 42,237 Thanks
    maryb
    I could cope with having to use very hot water and an iron to maintain hygiene (I iron my tea towels to make sure of killing germs even though I am far from being one of those women who irons everything)

But I cannot imagine how grim life would be without vacuum cleaners. Especially if fleas developed resistance to insecticides and mounted a come back.

Shudders it could happen - people with children at school are always getting letters home about infestations of head lice and they are getting more common now they have developed resistance - why should fleas be any different?

(Apparently vinegar dissolves nits. I think our grannies used vinegar hair rinses for more reasons than just to give a nice shine)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 6,040 Posts
    • 91,692 Thanks
    fuddle
    Well at least I know how to keep my hankies germ free. Thank you.
    • elmer
    • By elmer 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    elmer
    Just helped daughter tidy her room, I am now the proud owner of a fit bit, some truffles, a half bottle of WKD(!!!) and some posh eye cream

I should volunteer to help more often!!
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 9th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 12,179 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Really interesting discussion on cleaning/laundry/hygiene. You will be horrified to know that I don’t sort my washing and wash everything at 30 or 40 (except cloth nappies before we potty trained which I did at 60 - but now he only wears one to go to bed in and they are just a bit wet I chuck them in the everyday wash. We don’t use hankies but I do want to get some so maybe I’ll start sorting out stuff for a hotter wash. Never really thought about ironing tea towels and the like though I must admit I iron nothing (I’m 29 so in general my generation weren’t really taught anything about most basic home management skills. I don’t think my mum who is in her late 40s sorts her washing either).

I’ve been making a real effort to simplify the food bill this week. Last night’s dinner was vegetable fajitas in a HM spice mix, with HM wraps and salsa. Today I stuck a beef stew (bulked out with lots of veg) in the SC and we had it with kale and HM bread.
    Married 1 March 2014 <3
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 15,619 Posts
    • 65,425 Thanks
    Judi
    Really interesting discussion on cleaning/laundry/hygiene. You will be horrified to know that I donít sort my washing and wash everything at 30 or 40 (except cloth nappies before we potty trained which I did at 60 - but now he only wears one to go to bed in and they are just a bit wet I chuck them in the everyday wash. We donít use hankies but I do want to get some so maybe Iíll start sorting out stuff for a hotter wash. Never really thought about ironing tea towels and the like though I must admit I iron nothing (Iím 29 so in general my generation werenít really taught anything about most basic home management skills. I donít think my mum who is in her late 40s sorts her washing either).
    Originally posted by Bluegreen143
    I am presuming you sort your whites from your coloureds.

Ps I dont wash all at 30/40 degrees either.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 9th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 12,179 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    No Iím afraid I donít
    Married 1 March 2014 <3
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 11,529 Posts
    • 222,154 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    My own mother, who came of age in 1960, is not a diligent homemaker but she has decided opinions about a very few things of the housewifely nature, and a loathing of 'chewing gum whites' - i.e. dingy whites, is one of them.

As someone mentioned up-thread, they did not have optical brighteners back in the day, and white things were kept white by high temperature laundering, line drying and 'blueing'. Having dingy laundry was a matter of shame.

Perhaps it is hard for modern women to understand or empathise with the domestic standards of an age where the household was the woman's sole concern and reputation was partially maintained by cleanliness and order, and the whiteness of one's whites mattered.

I can recall hearing about one of my older relatives being mortified by the poor turnout of her grandchildren in the sixties; she considered her daughter-in-law didn't keep them clean and tidy enough, and felt embarrassed to be seen with them in public.

When homes had no hot water, and sometimes no piped water at all (like my great-grands' place) keeping self, clothes and homes clean was a tough job, but women had enormous pride in keeping up appearances. Keeping a clean and tidy home was part of the way you maintained your reputation as a decent person, and people cared mightily about being seen to be respectable, even in living memory.

It's often amused me to note that many of the old-fashioned ways of describing an immoral woman technically mean a woman who is bad at housekeeping; slut, sloven, slattern. Of course, a woman not doing the chores would obviously be running around after other men, as opposed to putting her feet up and having a truffle or two.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 09-01-2018 at 9:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 9th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 12,179 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Very interesting GreyQueen! Youíre right that itís tough for me to imagine - while in some ways I am quite old fashioned in my interests, Iím very pleased that I donít have to worry about the cleanliness of either my house or my son to that extent. I feel lucky to live in an era where no-one is judging my whites. I also feel tremendous admiration for how these women, without our modern appliances and conveniences, managed to keep their homes so spick and span. In theory it should be simple now but I find it an ongoing struggle and there is always more to do than hours to do it in

I really do appreciate the lessons on laundry as Iím hoping to convert to an ďeco-eggĒ (does anyone use one??) and I expect that I will need to learn to be more diligent about separating washings, using heat etc as I canít imagine it keeps things as white as laundry detergent does.

EDIT - slightly related re the turn-out of one's children - I very deliberately keep my two-year-old son a bit scruffy as part fo my simplification regime. He has a capsule wardrobe consisting only of items that are comfortable, promote freedom of movement and allow as much independence as possible in dressing and pottying (promoting independence is of the values I really adhere to as a parent). So basically all he has is comfortable cotton elasticated jogging bottoms, a range of t-shirts in short and long sleeves, plain white vests, plain cotton pants, socks, PJs and some jumpers, mostly hand-knit by my mum. Nothing smart or restrictive, no faux-adult clothing like little jeans or chinos or button down shirts. He never looks "smart" per se but this approach saves a ton of time and money as I can pick up all the items in one shop when he changes size and don't need to invest in piles and piles of clothing. Just a tip if anyone else has little ones in the family
    Last edited by Bluegreen143; 09-01-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    Married 1 March 2014 <3
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 15,619 Posts
    • 65,425 Thanks
    Judi
    No Iím afraid I donít
    Dont your whites turn grey?
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 9th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 12,179 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Erm not noticably so Judi, not noticed any issues in the 11 or so years since I moved out! Though I am guilty of buying cheap clothes which don't really last so maybe they don't have time to turn grey? I also don't actually have many whites which is why I don't seperate them. It's not a colour I tend to wear and my towels are green. My bedding is off-white/cream and I have noticed it's distinctly more yellowy where it was originally more towards the white end of the spectrum, but it still looks nice.

EDIT - we do have white nappies which are washed at 60 with the coloured nappies and they aren't grey either.
    Married 1 March 2014 <3
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I'll be joining you guys this year.

For the first time ever, I couldn't think of anything I really wanted for Christmas. I already have too much stuff. Never had that happen before. Then I took a look around and realised that there is stuff stacked everywhere.

All I want to do is read books, knit and garden in my spare time so why is there so much other stuff??? I work from home and wear the same 'favourite' clothes so why do I have drawers and cupboards bursting at the seams??

Where did all this stuff come from????

I started this week and got rid of four boxes of books to go to Ziffit totaling about 40 books and I have another ~30 books to go.

Eyeing up the chest of drawers, particularly the underwear drawer, for a clear out. That is a veritable horror story.
    Originally posted by Cottage Economy
    Welcome CottageEconomy,
    I think Ďstuff breedsí either that or we get Ďstuff blindí. Hopefully this thread will help us both in our decluttering. I am looking forward to the day when the only decluttering I need to do is food & weight!

There is another thread that might interest you - 2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen.

Good Luck

Mrs SD
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 14,623 Posts
    • 40,092 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    No children here/never have been - and everything but everything gets shoved in the washing machine here at 40C - sink or swim. It's always "swum" so far. Only exceptions being stuff that feels too delicate to machine wash at all - and those (very few) items get hand-washed and then shoved in the washing machine just to rinse them.

But it's true I just don't use white. I have one white teeshirt and can't remember when I last wore it (though I know it was literally years ago). As I got older - bedding swopped from Marks & Spencer polycotton-I-think-it-was in patterns/colours and went via a very brief detour of cheapie sheets (soon realised just how fast they wore out) to present day sheets.

The present day sheets are more "traditional" coloured (ie more cream type colours) and made of cotton. But they arent ironed (even the eco ones of them) - they're clean and I'm the only one that sees them these days so

Towels are coloured too - so ditto - straight in the washing machined at 40C.

Handkerchiefs - if I have a cold (sits and tries to remember the last time that was the case.....hmmm....hmmm...) I use paper tissues, as I find them more hygienic/less hassle personally.

All round my attitude to housework is that I want things clean/tidy - so I will do what a clean/tidy man would do. If a man wouldnt do it - then I wont either. My attitude to housework is summed up as "Regard it as a salaried job - for which I dont get any salary. But do the "time and motion study" bit on it that a boss would do - in order not to spend any more time/effort on it than I find reasonable".

Yep...I've just bought one of those little robot vacuum cleaners to that end as well. I never did resolve the issue of how to stop having to put the "pipes" back together again several times per room on average on the Henry Hoover and wasnt prepared to spend "fiddling with pipes" time as well as hoovering time whenever it needed doing.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-01-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 9th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 42,175 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    This sounds like the place for me. I live a relatively simple life since I retired to look after my poorly hubby. I spend days in peace and quiet, make things, baking things and trying unsuccessfully to get rid of 34 years of detritus.

I grow a lot of fruit and some veg, bake and jam make but still not quite there with what I hope to achieve.

Blue green I have eco eggs and am quite happy with them although we don't have heavily soiled clothes like those with children. They came with a little tube of the most amazing stain remover which is to date undefeated.

I also collect coffee grounds Greyqueen and I'm sure the insects in my compost bin get caffeine overdose when I add it because they seem to run around awfully fast.

I have set myself the task of using up all those odd bits of yarn into blankets this month and have 3 in varying shades on the go plus I'm down 3 carrier bags of yarn by doing it.

Christmas was low key as usual as Hubby only managed 2 hours out of bed but that suited me. My entire tree was done in homemade decorations this year apart from special old ones and I ma slowly moving my DD towards the same. She seems to be moving towards a simpler life after getting rid of the chief problem - her partner - with an autistic child and a partner who wouldn't help was getting wearing for her. Once she finds a better house with more than a dolls house sized kitchen she will be able to get more organised and thus live more simply.

Roll on the rest of this year! A year of simplicity please.
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• maryb
    • By maryb 9th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 42,237 Thanks
    maryb
    I have a fairly simple rule for laundry. If it touches either end of your digestive tract, directly or indirectly (ie tea towels) it gets washed at 60 degrees. Everything else 40 or 30. So bras and socks don't get ruined by being put in a hot wash but other underthings do get washed at 60
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • dND
    • By dND 10th Jan 18, 7:26 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 6,050 Thanks
    dND
    Erm... All viruses are antibiotic-resistant, antibiotics only work for bacterial infections. Anti-virals are used for viruses (under certain circumstances)
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Thank you Jackieblack, I should have said bacteria. To much Daily Fail I think when it came to typing.

Really interesting discussion on cleaning/laundry/hygiene. You will be horrified to know that I donít sort my washing and wash everything at 30 or 40 (except cloth nappies before we potty trained which I did at 60 - but now he only wears one to go to bed in and they are just a bit wet I chuck them in the everyday wash. We donít use hankies but I do want to get some so maybe Iíll start sorting out stuff for a hotter wash. Never really thought about ironing tea towels and the like though I must admit I iron nothing (Iím 29 so in general my generation werenít really taught anything about most basic home management skills. I donít think my mum who is in her late 40s sorts her washing either).
    Watching the adverts, I would do the same but the reserch done on where faecal matter turns up made me change my way of doing washing and cleaning. as per maryb.

I have a fairly simple rule for laundry. If it touches either end of your digestive tract, directly or indirectly (ie tea towels) it gets washed at 60 degrees. Everything else 40 or 30. So bras and socks don't get ruined by being put in a hot wash but other underthings do get washed at 60
    Originally posted by maryb
    Same here maryb. I do also the laundry disinfectant, as well as not washing teatowels with underpants etc. With age/experience I've come to finally realised there are no shortcuts. In general, we are sold veneer when what we need is solid wood.

• Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 10th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    Katieowl
    I sort vaguely, all my tea towels get a hot wash, I refuse to wash my things with evil smelling man things, so my loads tend to be a mix of items, but I will do a pales and blue wash, and a reds, pink and purples wash. DS laundry is given a hot wash with disinfectant (muddy work clothes, and stiff socks yuk! Have been known to chuck the odd bit of dog washing in with his trousers )

Then I do separate loads of towels and bedding...I don't really have whites. Most stuff is washed on 30 or 40, we're all alive!
    • Littleskintdragon84
    • By Littleskintdragon84 10th Jan 18, 8:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Littleskintdragon84
    Love this thread thanks for starting.
    Im going to have a full read through when I have a chance your ideas will be invaluable to me and my family.

I love simple living, spending on what you need and not what you want or what your friends,family adverts and tv tells you that you should have!

I have friends that shop constantly, and whose children's xmas presents pile would have probably left no room in Santa's sleigh for the big man himself! Said friend now has a huge pile of unopened, not needed toys in her living room, and is complaining that she has no where for them to go..... as if ill feel sorry for her!!

We've personally got a lot that we can do as a family to save money and live more simply, and I plan on making memories from now on,and not filling my already cluttered home any longer.
    • Cottage Economy
    • By Cottage Economy 10th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    Cottage Economy
    I managed to simplify the whole present giving thing for birthdays last year by insisting on amazon gift cards. Despite initial protestations from friends and family about me having nothing to open on my birthday, they all remarked how easy it was to do and some have followed suit and now ask for gift cards themselves.

That way instead of being forced to think of yet more stuff I want for my birthday less than a month after Christmas, I can use the gift cards throughout the entire year.

A lot of the books I buy are often out of print and secondhand, so I can indulge myself. I know my family would refuse to buy me a book if it was secondhand and printed in the 80s, even if I insisted I wanted it!
    The 'Save £12k in 2018' Challenge £500/£6,000 (8.3%)
    The 'Save £12k in 2017' #129 Goal: £4,000. Achieved £4168.95 (104%)

"...success in personal finance isn't about mastering the technicalities. It is about mastering yourself."
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 10th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    Love this thread thanks for starting.
    Im going to have a full read through when I have a chance your ideas will be invaluable to me and my family.

I love simple living, spending on what you need and not what you want or what your friends,family adverts and tv tells you that you should have!

I have friends that shop constantly, and whose children's xmas presents pile would have probably left no room in Santa's sleigh for the big man himself! Said friend now has a huge pile of unopened, not needed toys in her living room, and is complaining that she has no where for them to go..... as if ill feel sorry for her!!

We've personally got a lot that we can do as a family to save money and live more simply, and I plan on making memories from now on,and not filling my already cluttered home any longer.
    Originally posted by Littleskintdragon84
    My sentiments exactly! Kids just don't need so much stuff. They don't cherish things if they have too much. One of my favourite presents as a kid was a small basket with fruit shaped soaps in, for some reason I have always remembered that pressie. I can honestly say I would prefer a nice bar of lavender soap than a designer handbag or useless fancy chef kitchen accessory.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,355Users online

Martin's Twitter