Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 486Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 2
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 30th Nov 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Hello!

I would like to join in too. I will be earning significantly less in the new year ( but working less - all by choice) but that will mean simplifying life too. I have asked for national trust membership for Christmas, and renewal of my Amazon prime membership. I will have more time to shop for Ys stuff at supermarkets, and cook from scratch. I don't need anything new, so will replace things as needed as suggested with either high quality which will mast or second hand depending. I'm going away for a couple of months at new year, but that will be my holiday for a while! I have a car ( which I love very much) but otherwise I don't have/need/want lots of fancy stuff. More importantly, I don't want rubbish to throw away every season and buy more.

Main plans so far are to meal plan, ys shop, cook from scratch, cook more different dishes, grow more food at home ( I'm thinking about an allotment - there are some just across from my place), I'm teaching myself to sew and have already made a couple of tops which are passable enough to be worn out of the house, I will read the books I already have ( if I read full time on my days off, they will still take at least 12 months to read them all - not including Ebooks).

I shall read on with interest

Bexster
    Last edited by bexster1975; 30-11-2017 at 5:54 PM.
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    I've been thinking about getting a dresser for my kitchen to replace the sideboard as it would give us more storage but, thanks to this thread making me think about simplifying, I have decided instead to get rid of some stuff I seldom or never use. Hey Presto, enough storage! That's saved a few quid ☺
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 30th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    Has anyone else heard the ad for 'Autumn/winter collection' sofas? Are we supposed to believe that we need a new sofa every season? WTF??
    I hereby vow to switch off the radio and TV when adverts are on. I can't cope with the craziness!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 30th Nov 17, 5:16 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 107,819 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I could never get rid of all my books...some of them are very old and very dear friends!
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    I so agree with this! Plus a lot of our books are reference books.
    I have been known to change my clothes 3 or 4 times a day,
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Oh my; if I did that, I'd have no energy for anything else; even with Mr LW's assistance, getting dressed/undressed is time consuming and difficult for me.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 6:12 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    Thank you MandM90 for the unroll link, I've always gone through my emails and unsubscribed manually which takes forever!!

I'm in agreement with this thread and would love to follow and join in too if you don't mind SimpleLiving?

I have made some steps towards simplifying my life already the last couple of weeks. I've cancelled Netflix (intending to read more - with books from the library which I've also recently rejoined).

For my birthday I received a little shelf greenhouse for my birthday which I plan to grow herbs and spices in and a hand blender with the intention of doing more soups etc. (instead of buying lunch from the expensive hospital shops at work). Takeaways and convenience food is something we really waste a lot of money on through a total lack of meal planning.

Me and my partner are hoping to start a family next year so if we can save a bit of money, simplify and get more of a routine in place now then it'll certainly help
    Originally posted by One Bullet Five Zombies
    Please do join in....
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    Has anyone else heard the ad for 'Autumn/winter collection' sofas? Are we supposed to believe that we need a new sofa every season? WTF??
    I hereby vow to switch off the radio and TV when adverts are on. I can't cope with the craziness!
    Originally posted by Nonnadiluca
    Crazy isn't it! I don't understand the need for Christmas cushions, bedding, clothes, doormat, kitchenware etc etc either....but then again I may be a grumpy scrooge
    Last edited by SimpleLiving; 30-11-2017 at 6:19 PM.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 26,766 Thanks
    Primrose
    I think many of us are children from an earlier era before all this seasonal promotional stuff existed and realised that our lives managed perfectly well without it.

I find it quite shocking actually how gullible many members of the public are to advertising. Do they not realise it's just an attempt to rob them of their money? I bet if some of the prices of items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotional adverts were doubled and advertised as "bargains for today only ", there would still be a stampede by the naÔve.
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    I have been watching Tales from the Green Valley, Victorian Farm and Wartime Kitchen and Garden for more inspiration on how to make the most if what we have. Every little thing was put to good use and there was little waste. We have about a half a bin bag of waste each week, mostly food packaging and I would like to cut this down further. Cooking from scratch will help.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 30th Nov 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 38,922 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    We moved onto our Narrowboat this year, we got rid of everything that didn't fit on it.
    All our books are ebooks apart from a dozen that fit on the bookshelf.
    I'm retired but my oh is still working so he has his works uniform plus his own clothes. All my clothes fit in two small drawers and a hook on the wall.
    We have a tv but it only goes on at 8 in the evening for an hour and if there is nothing on worth watching it goes off again.
    I always cook from scratch aboard from chips, I don't like them but keep a bag in the freezer.
    I have a very small hob and cooker and cook a lot on my multi fuel stove.
    We have no phone line so no cold callers and no postal address so no junk mail.
    My fridge and freezer are also very small.
    We thoroughly enjoy life on the boat but it's not for everyone
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Nov 17, 6:42 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 26,766 Thanks
    Primrose
    Actually we've all become victims of the great consumerism conspiracy to a greater or lesser extent. I recall how few possessions and pieces of furniture we had when we first married yet we managed perfectly well.
    The great question today we all need to ask ourselves is "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?"

I suspect if we were really honest, most of us would look around our homes, our cupboards, wardrobes and garages and admit that we have TOO MUCH. I think the older we become, apart from items which simplify our lives and make them easier, we should be GETTING RID, not acquiring more stuff!
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    Actually we've all become victims of the great consumerism conspiracy to a greater or lesser extent. I recall how few possessions and pieces of furniture we had when we first married yet we managed perfectly well.
    The great question today we all need to ask ourselves is "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?"

I suspect if we were really honest, most of us would look around our homes, our cupboards, wardrobes and garages and admit that we have TOO MUCH. I think the older we become, apart from items which simplify our lives and make them easier, we should be GETTING RID, not acquiring more stuff!
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Absolutely agree 100%. I got rid of a load of sheets a few weeks ago that were taking up loads of drawer space, so now we have 2 sets of sheets for each bed. Who needs 6 sets of bedding albeit cheap tesco ones?!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 11,433 Posts
    • 219,709 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I love simple living, by temperament and also by necessity. Such as the chronic health problems limiting the amount of energy for everything, including wage-earning, which limits funds which limit - shopping!

Gawd, but I detest this time of year. I'm as fond of time off work with family and friends (and big dinners and the odd sherbert) as the next woman, but I hate, loathe, detest and abhor to the very core of my being, greed, wastefulness and environmental vandalism.

This year, as on other years, family and a few close friends are getting consumable and/ or pre-loved items from charity shops. We do this overtly, principally with books and some clothes.

One of the very best things I ever did was give away my TV. In 1987. And there was a lot less carpy telly about back then, but it was still boring me witless. You can also happily give up listening to The News on TV and radio and still be well-informed but without the several times daily drama-fest of woe. It greatly adds to calmness and simplicity.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 30th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 3,388 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    If you don't mind, I'm another who would like to join you in the quest for a more simple life.

Like Jackyann, I change into 'all-fall-down' clothes in the house to save the decent things. I also always wear an apron for cooking/washing up. As a result I have clothes in different categories, but mostly very old! I try to avoid family photos now, as the same outfits were appearing year in out. (I get away with it now because I take the photos). I lost a bit of weight recently, and put tucks in the waistline of most of my skirts and trousers. Blouses got ties to gather them at the back. I'm now thinking of making some skirts myself.

I do cook from scratch, grow salad, tomatoes and herbs in pots and planters (we have thick clay soil here I struggle to work with. I plan meals and limit shopping days to avoid temptation.

I think I need to take more advantage of the place I live, by (walking) visiting library, park, canalside walk, getting more involved with something local. ??what??
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 30th Nov 17, 8:11 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 35,727 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Very thought provoking. I have massively downsized the amount of stuff we have in the house over the last couple of years. When I buy things now I try and take the time to choose things that will add some sort of value to my life.

I love the idea of spending my money on "doing rather than having". I am struggling at the moment juggling two jobs and I know that if we could cut our outgoings a little then I wouldnt have to work as many hours and life would be a lot happier.

Will be following.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 30th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,444 Thanks
    Caterina
    SimpleLiving, I read your opening post with a dropped jaw, it was like you were in my head and just reading and transcribing my thoughts! Thank you for starting such a great thread. I'm in and am subscribing. Looking forward to doing this with other like-minded people.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Judi
    • By Judi 30th Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,862 Thanks
    Judi
    Im subscribing too. Love the idea of a simple life and im working towards it.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 30th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 6,909 Thanks
    jackyann
    Isn't this a lovely thread?
    Lame Wolf, I know that you have a disability, and understand.
    I too wear an apron in the kitchen. Last year I got a 'florist's' apron as a gift. Not sure why florists wear them but it covers up a lot. It has cross over straps that you pull over your head, so no tapes to tie. Suits me well as a shoulder problem means I can't tie an apron behind my back. I used some cotton from my stash to copy the pattern.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 1st Dec 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 7,507 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I like this thread. I have had a much more simple life the past few years as my husband and I have both have had health problems. We have decluttered our home a lot using the KonMari method and minimalist ideas.

I have been a lot more spendy this past few months however so a new year and a new start would really help me.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Floss
    • By Floss 1st Dec 17, 8:08 AM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 33,851 Thanks
    Floss
    I've subscribed too. Since losing both of my in-laws close together in 2015, work-life stress for both of us and me dropping from full-time commuting work to part-time local work Have naturally led us to a simpler way of life.

We too have an allotment, DH makes his own beer & wines, I make cakes, jams & chutneys, 99% of our cooking is from scratch and we rarely watch tv. We both have too many clothes and enough other hobbies to keep us busy!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Dec 17, 8:57 AM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 127,615 Thanks
    JackieO
    Great to see so many like-minded people ,and if it helps to stop ans stare for awhile instead of rushing around like a thing possessed then its all to the good

I have found that this year as my DGS are now out of the age of toy buying its so much easier No big bulky things to wrap and no latest must have toy that all their friends have.

My DGS have all got either a jumper and a small box of smellies from wilkos or PJ bottoms (for some reason none of them wear a top of their PJs) and now you can buy bottoms only its so much cheaper as well Less paper waste as well when it comes to wrapping One of the boys yesterday asked if I would make him some melting moment biscuits for Christmas as they are his favourite and normally a plate vanishes in seconds when I take them around to their house so I shall find a nice box and make him some just for him .

The youngest one loves peppermint creams do I shall be making him some as well. My DD is pleased she no longer has piles of plastic tat in the house and its becoming a more adult place to live (her youngest is thirteen and a half now )

I don't grow anything myself outside as I have a gardener who does my little patch at the back of the house, but I do grow my own herbs at times on the window ledge of my conservatory which helps a bit and I have a pot of chives that are great for cut and come again

Cutting back on things doesn't mean doing without its just changing a way of living I knit quite a bit and although I do watch certain things on TV I also know where the on/off button is and haven't become a slave to it I would rather listen to a drama on the wireless while I knit in the afternoon As long as I have some decent coffee to drink I am a happy bunny.I do lead a very busy life ,even though I retired in 1995, and often find that my saturdays are the best time for me to relax in doors as the rest of the week I am flying around doing so many hobbies and clubs But I am all for staying away from shops as I really can't be bothered with them especially at this time of the year. No one looks very happy while doing Christmas shopping at all so I stay out of them if I can .Definitely a simple quiet life for me I think
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,207Posts Today

6,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin