Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philadams
    • By philadams 30th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    philadams
    Lowest Possible Wattage for LED Bulbs
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    Lowest Possible Wattage for LED Bulbs 30th Nov 17 at 11:15 AM
    Hi all,
    New to the forum but not new to money-saving. I'm looking to REALLY minimize energy costs for my house & my (many) LED bulbs are currently 4-6W so there is some improvement to be made. The lights are on a LOT.

The question is - what is the lowest one can go? I can't really seem to find any bulbs of B22 or GU10 below 3W - do any 1W bulbs exist? Lumens aren't an issue. My family doesn't need loads of light in the evenings when we're winding down.

Cheers
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 30th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    Google 1 watt led. Loads of them.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 30th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Any savings you make are likely to be negligible compared to the cost of the bulb.

Assuming a light is on for 6 hours a day, 365 days a year (seems unlikely) then changing a 6w bulb to a 3w bulb would save you 6.57kWh a year.

Using an average cost of 12.5p per kWh that’s a saving of 82p. Even a cheap LED bulb is going to cost £3 or so, a decent one at least £5, so assuming a lifespan for 3-5 years of an average quality bulb, at best you’ll recover the cost of the bulb.

If you’re already using LED bulbs then I would focus your money and energy saving efforts elsewhere!
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 30th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    I'm looking to REALLY minimize energy ... The lights are on a LOT.
    Originally posted by philadams

Why not turn them off a bit then ? Don't leave lights on during the day, don't leave lights on in rooms you're not using, make sure all lights are switched off when you go to bed.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 30th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Shrimply
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    Using an average cost of 12.5p per kWh thatís a saving of 82p. Even a cheap LED bulb is going to cost £3 or so, a decent one at least £5, so assuming a lifespan for 3-5 years of an average quality bulb, at best youíll recover the cost of the bulb.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    So cost wise it doesn't make sense and from an eco-friendly point of view throwing away perfectly good bulbs is probably worse than the extra energy used to run them...
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 30th Nov 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:05 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:05 PM
    I don't see the point of changing unless you find the current light bulb are too bright.
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 30th Nov 17, 1:11 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Shrimply
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:11 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:11 PM
    I think that's the point I was trying to make...
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    I was thinking that the motivation for the original post was either to try and save money, or to be environmentally friendly.

I read your point as answering the question in regards to the potential savings. And was suggesting that from en environmental point of view it made no sense either. But maybe I missed your point a little.

In any case we both agree that there isn't much to be gained from replacing the bulbs regardless of the motivation
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 30th Nov 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:57 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:57 PM
    I was thinking that the motivation for the original post was either to try and save money, or to be environmentally friendly.

I read your point as answering the question in regards to the potential savings. And was suggesting that from en environmental point of view it made no sense either. But maybe I missed your point a little.

In any case we both agree that there isn't much to be gained from replacing the bulbs regardless of the motivation
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    I deleted my post as it wasn't really adding anything to the discussion, but seeing as you responded before I had the chance to, yes I was mainly referring to the cost savings (OP did refer to energy costs). You also make a good point about the environmental waste of discarding perfectly good bulbs.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 30th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    • 30,819 Posts
    • 18,427 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    If there is too much light take some out.

If you want real low levels of ambient a couple of carefully located strips would do the job use them and turn the others off

There will be times you need some decent light.

When we are settled we turn the main lights off and just have couple of reading lamps point at the walls/ceiling.
    • philadams
    • By philadams 30th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    philadams
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's a large home with probably 25 bulbs right now and parts of the home are used for various work environments where lights are kept on.

I am also looking for the lowest power bulbs as my grandma is still on 5/6 x 100w old school ones and she wants me to sort it out for her. I thought I'd go for the best there is as she doesn't have much money these days.

As for googling "1 watt led", yes I have tried that and, no, there aren't any that come up, at least not in bulb form.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 30th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    I am also looking for the lowest power bulbs as my grandma is still on 5/6 x 100w old school ones and she wants me to sort it out for her. I thought I'd go for the best there is as she doesn't have much money these days.
    100w old school bulbs are 1400+ lumens, if you replace them with 1w LEDS (about 200 Lumens) it'll be like turning day to night for her.

got for some decent 6w+ led bulbs
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 30th Nov 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    Jonesya

As for googling "1 watt led", yes I have tried that and, no, there aren't any that come up, at least not in bulb form.
    It's worth remembering that as people age their eye sight changes and elderly people need more light to see properly, so moving to LED is good but you won't be doing your gran any favours by getting under powered lamps.

You want something at least equivalent to 100w, so probably 13w LED or more, the higher the better.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 30th Nov 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    EssexExile
    You must have a different google to me then!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 30th Nov 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    Ectophile
    A search for "1W BC" on Amazon brings up a few 1W BC LED lamps, mostly in a small "golf ball" size. So they must exist.

Typing "1W GU10" in Amazon search brings up quite a few.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • ic
    • By ic 1st Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 2,519 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    ic
    Less watts generally means reduced brightness. Compare the lumens, and also look at the spread of light - not just the power usage. As already stated, you probably won't save any money replacing bulbs that are already low powered.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • Waldir
    • By Waldir 1st Dec 17, 9:28 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Waldir
    One LED strip I have consumes 24W for 300 LED (5 meters) and can be cut around each group of 3 LEDs.
    How is that for some 0.24W lights?
    It's 12V though (can also be 5 or 24V)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin