Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moonlustie
    • By moonlustie 30th Nov 17, 11:09 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 35Thanks
    moonlustie
    Car Insurance Quote Questions
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:09 AM
    Car Insurance Quote Questions 30th Nov 17 at 11:09 AM
    I am looking around for quotes and one of the questions is about convictions but not sure how to answer.

I was caught on a speed camera and have taken the speed awareness course option. I am still in the 3yr period where you have to be clear of any speeding.

Is this classed as a conviction?

I don't want to declare falsely - just want to know how to answer honestly.

Thanks
    Moon
Page 1
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 30th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    It's not a conviction - it's an alternative to being prosecuted. If the insurer asks if you've been convicted of any offences you can truthfully say "no". If they specifically ask about "convictions or speed awareness courses" then you should say "yes". Only a handful of insurers do ask about awareness courses - AFAIK it's only Admiral and its associated brands (Bell, Diamond, Elephant etc).

(Not that it's massively relevant to you, but while penalty points are only counted for totting up purposes for 3 years, you are generally required to disclose convictions to insurers for 5 years)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

948Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin