Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 30th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kalamater
    BT Hub cost?
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    BT Hub cost? 30th Nov 17 at 11:06 AM
    I have just got (just after Cyber Monday- or am I being cynical?) the email from BT indicating my contract price will increase in January. I am about 6 months in to this contract as a new customer. I have understood from all the helful guidance from MSE that I am thus 'free' to look around for another deal (or use such a deal to haggle BT). Will they charge me for the router / hub ? It could make the difference - paying for the router means having to get a much better deal to make it worthwhile switching.
Page 1
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 30th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    If you leave BT will strongly suggest you return the router to them for "recycling". But the common opinion is you don't actually have to. I did not and nothing bad happened.

However BT routers tend to be locked to BT. Sometimes they will work with plus.net too. But for instance when I moved to EE I could not continue to use my bt router because it would not acccept my EE username. It would only accept a BT one or possibly plus.net.

Most internet providers will give you a free router for postage these days.
    Last edited by mnbvcxz; 30-11-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 30th Nov 17, 11:55 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kalamater
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:55 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:55 AM
    Thanks mnbvcxz - my main concern is that BT will want to charge me for the router as I have only been with them 6 months...........any ideas / personal experience ?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 30th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 9,955 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    I know the router is yours once you have completed your contract .

But if you want to break this contract without a penalty you have to follow the instructions in the price rise email .You are not free to just move without contacting BT as per email .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 30th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    Seems to be conflicting advice on this subject, they do 'offer' to accept the return of the router, but this may be nothing more than an offer to dispose of it in an environmently friendly way, not necessarily letting you off the hook for the 'cost' of it if you move provider before the minimum term expires, (provided they gave it to you for 'free' when you signed up) but, others have argued that if the price increase allows you to move provider 'penalty free' for a limited time after being notified of the increase , then how come you have to pay for the router, paying for the router is a penalty.
    It is a grey area TBH, I'm sure I read a post where someone argued that they shouldn't have to pay for the router because they wouldn't have quit early if the price hadn't increased before the minimum term expired, and the router became theirs anyway, but I cannot recall the outcome, but them sending a Jiffy bag for the routers return isn't them agreeing not to charge you for that router.
    You would probably find they charge you for the router regardless if you return it, or not, you would them have to argue to get that router charge waived or refunded
    Last edited by iniltous; 30-11-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 30th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kalamater
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    Thanks again...... I am a little nervous about the router cost thing. I will be contacting BT to see if they can offer a better deal, but cannot risk paying for the router if I switch as it would wipe out most of my gain. Although setting BT up was a NIGHTMARE, it has been running quuite well - I'll try it on and see what they can offer.
    Last edited by kalamater; 30-11-2017 at 1:04 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 30th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kalamater
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    I am a bit nervous about the router cost as I am only 6 months with BT. I think I'll give them a call and see what they can offer. Although there are better deals eslewhere, if charged for the router, it would not be worthwhile my switching. Setting BT up was a NIGHTMARE but once running it has been quite good. Thanks all.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 30th Nov 17, 1:59 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:59 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:59 PM
    Ok to be clear as far as I can roughly remember,

Short summary: if you call them within 30 days or receiving the email they will let you leave penalty free. They will ask for the home hub back but you almost certainly don't have to give it back. It probably won't work without BT anyway.

I signed up with bt in november 2016 and received a home hub, in December they announced they were rising prices, in January I received an official email notifying me officially of the price rises. I said I had 30 days from the date of the email to call them if I wished to leave. I did so and then they opened a 30 window in which I was allowed to break my contract penalty free. I then signed up with EE. I only used 3-4 months of my BT 12 month contract.

If I had not received the email and called them up within 30 days to discuss leaving then I would NOT have been able to leave penalty free. You do have to get the official email and telephone them to arrange leaving to get the 30 day permission window.

I did get my prepaid line rental refunded though it took a little chasing.

They then sent me an email entitled "you need to return your equipment now" but the email actually said.

"""""""""""
    As you don't need your BT equipment anymore, why not send it back to us so we can recycle it.

If you've already sent your equipment back to us, you can ignore this email. We must still be processing the return in our warehouse.

If you haven't, and want to help us become a greener company and protect the environment, you can follow the instructions below to send it back for recycling.
    """"""""""""""""""

So it was actually up to me. I chose to keep the home hub and not send it back, even though they sent me an envelope to return it it.

I have had no penalty for keeping the home hub.

In my opinion I did not break my contract with them. I was fully prepared, keen even, to fulfil the full contract. It was they who reneged and walked away from the contract and as such I felt I had fulfilled my side of the agreement and fully justified in keeping homehub. They also charged me £50 to move to them in the first place which I did not get back.

Though as I said it turned out you can only use the home hub with BT internet so I could not use it with EE anyway.... But I could put it on ebay or repurpose it as an access point if I get around to it.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 30th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    boatman
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    If you leave because of the price rise, you keep the router, no charge, no need to return it.

See 13c:
    you end a service under clause 17b as a result of changes that significantly disadvantage you;

And 17b(this is the price rise and your right to leave):
    If we increase any of our core charges, or if we make any changes to a service, the charges (other than a core charge) or the terms and conditions of the agreement in a way that significantly disadvantages you

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html
    Last edited by boatman; 30-11-2017 at 2:40 PM. Reason: ii
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 30th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 9,955 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Thanks for that as i have never left BT only renegotiated .
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 30th Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mac.d
    The question is, why wouldn't you just send the BT home hub back to them if they send you a return label? Considering the OP is just concerned about being charged for it, just return it as asked and make sure you don't get charged.
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 30th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kalamater
    Thanks again mnbvcxz and boatman..........this seems pretty clear now, the t's & c's are quite clear that I will not have to pay for the router....will ring BT quite soon.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 30th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    anactuary
    Also see https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458/page/20 (posts 197-200)
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 1st Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kalamater
    Many thanks, seems to underline what I thought (more recently)
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 1st Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kalamater
    Update - I phoned BT cancellations, they could not match the SKY deal I had found for what I wanted on price and speed. Lots of sales talk about how theirs is the best router (which BT prferes to call a hub). Phoned SKY to set up new package - fingers crossed - SKY cheaper than BT even though I am changing to fibre, OK no calls included. They will take care of everything, switch should happen in 2 weeks. This afternoon BT tried it on with an email and reckoned I owed then £115 for the remainder of the contract. Phoned BT, first guy was high handed and did finally accept that I was not liable. I called back again as I was unsure he had taken details of my account, got a much better response, someone who knew what was what, tried a bit of sales talk about BT is best and fastest and....but confirmed that I will not be liable beyond the switch date. If all goes well I will probably not post again - fingers crossed.
    • kalamater
    • By kalamater 5th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kalamater
    After the email from BT and my phonecall back to them I had assumed the die was cast. Today, aletter and an SMS saying I owed them £113 or so and an 0800 number to call if this was incorrect, which I duly did. Pleasant call handler, offered to check if they could match SKY - I thought waste of time but 'carry on' - so now lo and behold they can match SKY's price, give me a faster speed than SKY, a new router will cost me £10 delivery and weekend calls will be included.......really! why do they mess people (and themselves) about? Spoke to SKY on the phone and believe I have cancelled in favour of staying with BT. Maybe the final post of this saga will come when I am finally up and running with fibre - fingers crossed
    Last edited by kalamater; 05-12-2017 at 6:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin