Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marcc
    • By Marcc 18th Nov 17, 10:53 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 119Thanks
    Marcc
    Advents Idea
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:53 AM
    Advents Idea 18th Nov 17 at 10:53 AM
    Just a suggestion regarding the advent competitions - is it possible to keep them just in the advents section and not in the main competitions section. Reason being that if, like me, you are too busy to enter all advents every day you can still enter the normal competitions without spending extra time sorting through pages and pages of advent competitions. It really makes it very difficult for people who don't enter them and time consuming. If then I have some extra time I can go to the advents and enter them. I hope this makes sense. What does everyone think?
Page 7
    • StripeySock
    • By StripeySock 4th Dec 17, 12:12 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    StripeySock
    Currys are on instagram this year.
    • StripeySock
    • By StripeySock 4th Dec 17, 12:12 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    StripeySock
    and that is one very cute puppy!
    • mansey
    • By mansey 4th Dec 17, 1:17 AM
    • 3,395 Posts
    • 11,762 Thanks
    mansey
    Currys are on instagram this year.
    Originally posted by StripeySock
    I will check that out, ta muchly
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    ― Billy Joel
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 5th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 24,239 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    Took part of yesterday off and come back to 40 pages! Hangover kicking in.
    DEC Wins: 25 Cash Winneroo, 50 voucher for Rockfish restaurant, The goldbergs season 3+4 DVD, Trio of Dove Gift Set. The Doctors: The William Hartnell Years DVD, R4 Integrated Music System, 4 Glass Tumblers, Snow Globe, The Rules of Magic book, Bottle of wine, tech sticker sheet. soup spoons viners, Super Wings - World Airport Playset.
    • Dormouse1940
    • By Dormouse1940 5th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 7,011 Thanks
    Dormouse1940
    The best thing about the advents....
    ...alright, so the best thing about the advents would probably be if I won them

On a serious note though...the best thing about advents for me has been being able to join in more.

I got into comping a couple of years ago and in that time managed to find a grand total of 2 competitions that hadn't already been posted on the main board before me, with a few twitter offerings.

Because the advents are so mental, I feel I've been able to contribute more in the last few days than I have in the previous years! It's taken me a while, but I'm starting to feel a bit more confident with this whole thing, so hopefully I'll be posting more going forwards.

Anyway, just thought I'd post to say a big thanks to everyone for their efforts and wish us all the very best of luck
    Living thriftily most of the time
    • mansey
    • By mansey 5th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3,395 Posts
    • 11,762 Thanks
    mansey
    The best thing about the Advents.........

..........Switching your computer off at 4am and going to bed

You won't be shy after doing next years challenge, there's nee shy bairns in there
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    ― Billy Joel
    • dontone
    • By dontone 5th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 11,748 Thanks
    dontone
    Starting to see the same names on FB come up as winners...
    Just waiting for the moaning to start in the winners pages, it's the highlight of advent season
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 5th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 9,180 Posts
    • 319,990 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Starting to see the same names on FB come up as winners...
    Just waiting for the moaning to start in the winners pages, it's the highlight of advent season
    Be Lucky
    Originally posted by dontone
    Do these winners do the 'sob story' thing? FB comps are so hard to win these days - I am lucky if win 1 or 2 a year these days! I wonder how some people win multiple times on FB???
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • sammi86
    • By sammi86 5th Dec 17, 8:09 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    sammi86
    I hate the amount of "like, share, comment and tag 1000000 friends to win a fish slice" there is on the FB comps.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 5th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 17,387 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I hate the amount of "like, share, comment and tag 1000000 friends to win a fish slice" there is on the FB comps.
    Originally posted by sammi86
    same on Instagram "tag three friends to win a hair brush" ect...no.
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring boo&pencils&:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper:Scarf
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 5th Dec 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 17,387 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Kinda disappointed by the advents this year...not very good prizes
    • sammi86
    • By sammi86 5th Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    sammi86
    Its terrible so far this year. Nothing like previous years im really hoping it picks up.

Think the promoters know how popular competitions are nowadays and think they can offer any old tat and get loads of entries, damn the ones who enter for any old tat
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 5th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 17,387 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Lets hope tomorrows "win it Wednesday" throws up more comps.
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring boo&pencils&:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper:Scarf
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 6th Dec 17, 1:52 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 3,478 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    There are so many open door ,fill in details type comps,that it makes a refreshing change from wading through a sea of sob stories, hooray!
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 6th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 9,180 Posts
    • 319,990 Thanks
    BlueBella
    As I have just got my new puppy to keep me busy, Twinkle, I feel so much less stressed over the Advents because I am only entering for prizes that are decent and really want to win - and there aren't that many this year! Over the past few years I was spending hours and hours on them per day so by the time Christmas arrived I was 'knackered' and with very few decent wins as reward for my efforts!

Here she is aged 8 weeks, 2 days wearing her tiny handknitted jumper

• Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 6th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 24,239 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    Lovely puppy Comping hard today postwomen never posted anything through my letterbox or knocked on my door felt like opening and asking her to double check lol.

My biggest win this month 699.99
    DEC Wins: 25 Cash Winneroo, 50 voucher for Rockfish restaurant, The goldbergs season 3+4 DVD, Trio of Dove Gift Set. The Doctors: The William Hartnell Years DVD, R4 Integrated Music System, 4 Glass Tumblers, Snow Globe, The Rules of Magic book, Bottle of wine, tech sticker sheet. soup spoons viners, Super Wings - World Airport Playset.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 7th Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 290,588 Thanks
    sleepyjones

Think the promoters know how popular competitions are nowadays and think they can offer any old tat and get loads of entries, damn the ones who enter for any old tat
    Unfortunately though, I do think it works as a lot of compers do enter for any old tatt ... some of the homes of compers out there must look like a B&M shop exploded in their living room.
    • sammi86
    • By sammi86 7th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    sammi86
    Unfortunately though, I do think it works as a lot of compers do enter for any old tatt ... some of the homes of compers out there must look like a B&M shop exploded in their living room.
    Originally posted by sleepyjones

Haha! this is exactly what i think.

We as compers need to make a stand against the tat
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 7th Dec 17, 9:41 AM
    • 9,180 Posts
    • 319,990 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Haha! this is exactly what i think.

We as compers need to make a stand against the tat
    I agree too! I hate tat! It psychologically drives me doollally if there is tat nearby!

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 8th Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 17,387 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I can't believe it's been a week already! No wins for me so far this month-lots of comps I'm not interested in-too much tagging & sob stories wanted or naff prizes. I've noticed a lot of people complaining that they can't enter that day's comp because It's on a social platform they don't use and insist it should be run on the platforms they use-many companies are running comps on their different platforms each day, I don't personally mind-I wont tag people in comps on TW or FB but will on Insta-So I personally don't have a problem with the changing methods of entry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter