Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marcc
    • By Marcc 18th Nov 17, 10:53 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 136Thanks
    Marcc
    Advents Idea
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:53 AM
    Advents Idea 18th Nov 17 at 10:53 AM
    Just a suggestion regarding the advent competitions - is it possible to keep them just in the advents section and not in the main competitions section. Reason being that if, like me, you are too busy to enter all advents every day you can still enter the normal competitions without spending extra time sorting through pages and pages of advent competitions. It really makes it very difficult for people who don't enter them and time consuming. If then I have some extra time I can go to the advents and enter them. I hope this makes sense. What does everyone think?
Page 1
    • nutunit
    • By nutunit 18th Nov 17, 11:42 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    nutunit
    • 18th Nov 17, 11:42 AM
    • 18th Nov 17, 11:42 AM
    I agree, it would be better for me, if they were kept separate.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 18th Nov 17, 11:52 AM
    • 35,521 Posts
    • 233,503 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 18th Nov 17, 11:52 AM
    • 18th Nov 17, 11:52 AM
    Discussion already held

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5730466

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5734126
    • GPark
    • By GPark 18th Nov 17, 12:17 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 13,641 Thanks
    GPark
    • 18th Nov 17, 12:17 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 12:17 PM
    If you don’t want to see the advents, just sort by title. All the advents start A: instead of E: so should be fairly easy to ignore them if you don’t want to do them.
    November Wins:

Get More Vitamin Drinks, Smiggle Advent Calender
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 18th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    • 39,638 Posts
    • 6,239,930 Thanks
    One-Eye
    • 18th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    There is no Advents "Section".

The competitions themselves are, and have always been, posted on the main forum. There is one single advents thread where sleepyjones maintains an index and people leave messages to enable this to be done. The only reason to have this thread is that many of the advents are dailies and the person who maintains the normal daily thread (lizd31) just can't cope with the extra workload.

If the prize is a £100 Amazon voucher, it doesn't matter to me whether you call it an advent, a daily or a normal competition. I will submit the entry form and find out later that someone else has won.
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 18th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 24,656 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    • 18th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    If you sort by 'newest thread' you won't see them being bumped up (nightmare in December), you'll only see them once when they're posted which is just like seeing any other comp ...
    • I-Owe-You
    • By I-Owe-You 19th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    I-Owe-You
    • 19th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    I put a red X across the advents (well the ones from brands I know I wont want to enter) ...so by about the 5th of Dec when they're all in full swing this filters the board to show the "normal" comps (and the few advents I'm interested in and haven't X'd) so I can easily scroll passed those that are crossed...if that makes sense?

Hope that helps x
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 30th Nov 17, 11:01 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 24,411 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:01 AM
    Advent chat, Goodbye Life.
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:01 AM
    Well from Tomorrow, We have the start of the Advents also we have FreebieFriday and SOM comps! So no life for me tomorrow think i might as well make a flask of coffee, Sandwiches and put a bucket next to me lol.

Thank you in advance to everyone that is posting on here over the next month and good luck everyone.
    DEC Wins: £25 Cash Winneroo, £50 for Rockfish, The goldbergs 3+4 DVD, Dove Gift Set. William Hartnell Years DVD, R4 Integrated Music System, 4 Glass Tumblers, Snow Globe, The Rules of Magic book, Bottle of wine, tech sticker sheet. soup spoons viners, World Airport Playset, Bake-O-Glide Simmering circle, audew 12V Seat Heater.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 30th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 17,407 Thanks
    Blueyez
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    Well from Tomorrow, We have the start of the Advents also we have FreebieFriday and SOM comps! So no life for me tomorrow think i might as well make a flask of coffee, Sandwiches and put a bucket next to me lol.

Thank you in advance to everyone that is posting on here over the next month and good luck everyone.
    Originally posted by Makeandsave

Just got back from shopping thinking the same thing! Goodbye 'normal' sleeping pattern too! early night too night just so I will be able to start first thing. Phone & ipod all charged and ready to go.
    • Dormouse1940
    • By Dormouse1940 30th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 7,040 Thanks
    Dormouse1940
    I was looking forward to joining in the advent frenzy 'propely' for the first time this year- but it's not looking likely now!
    I've got houseguests, two family birthdays and in-laws descending on us for Xmas so I'm not sure where I'm going to find the time for everything...
    Living thriftily most of the time
    • ChamomileTao
    • By ChamomileTao 30th Nov 17, 12:39 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    ChamomileTao
    Frankly I just comp as usual people make themselves ill with this every year, with little or no return, I think my health is more important.
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 30th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 24,411 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    I was looking forward to joining in the advent frenzy 'propely' for the first time this year- but it's not looking likely now!
    I've got houseguests, two family birthdays and in-laws descending on us for Xmas so I'm not sure where I'm going to find the time for everything...
    Originally posted by Dormouse1940

The 1st day is always the worst, Once you have picked the advents you want to join in you can cross the rest off Good luck,
    DEC Wins: £25 Cash Winneroo, £50 for Rockfish, The goldbergs 3+4 DVD, Dove Gift Set. William Hartnell Years DVD, R4 Integrated Music System, 4 Glass Tumblers, Snow Globe, The Rules of Magic book, Bottle of wine, tech sticker sheet. soup spoons viners, World Airport Playset, Bake-O-Glide Simmering circle, audew 12V Seat Heater.
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 30th Nov 17, 1:07 PM
    • 15,101 Posts
    • 104,481 Thanks
    sheils6
    Looking forward to doing some advents!
    Don't seem to have had much motivation for entering comps lately so hoping this will encourage me.
    Good Luck everyone x
    Dec Wins - £1.90 Quidco£5 Cafe Nero x10£10 Cineworld x 13 £50 Argos£5 Amazon x3 60p Topcashback
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 30th Nov 17, 2:04 PM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 72,221 Thanks
    hamsterfan1
    I'm so not ready
    prood gran to 4 lovely boys
    • mansey
    • By mansey 30th Nov 17, 2:52 PM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 11,809 Thanks
    mansey
    Frankly I just comp as usual people make themselves ill with this every year, with little or no return, I think my health is more important.
    Originally posted by ChamomileTao
    I have just wrote the same on our 50 Challenges thread
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 9,186 Posts
    • 320,704 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Twinkle, my new 8 week old puppy arrives on Sunday so I will only be entering a selected few Advents while she is sleeping!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • mansey
    • By mansey 30th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 11,809 Thanks
    mansey
    Twinkle, my new 8 week old puppy arrives on Sunday so I will only be entering a selected few Advents while she is sleeping!
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    Puppy and sleeping in the same sentence
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • deb2112
    • By deb2112 30th Nov 17, 3:05 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    deb2112
    The 1st day is always the worst, Once you have picked the advents you want to join in you can cross the rest off Good luck,
    Originally posted by Makeandsave
    I was thinking the same. I've saved everything that I might fancy that's come up on here into a folder of my own but I know for a fact after going through tomorrow I'll have ditched around half of them.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 30th Nov 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 17,407 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I was thinking the same. I've saved everything that I might fancy that's come up on here into a folder of my own but I know for a fact after going through tomorrow I'll have ditched around half of them.
    Originally posted by deb2112
    Same. I haven't added many as I did last time but I know I will still lose about half of the list tomorrow.
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 30th Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 9,186 Posts
    • 320,704 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Puppy and sleeping in the same sentence
    Originally posted by mansey
    She is a tiny baby and the breeder says she plays for ten mins then falls asleep! She weighs 13 oz now so a run around the settee is a marathon for her I'll pop her in my pocket and carry her around with me!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter