Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 10:16 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 49Thanks
    dancook
    Solar Panel Quote
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:16 AM
    Solar Panel Quote 30th Nov 17 at 10:16 AM
    Thinking of Solar Panels, but need to hurry it along as we have scaffolding in place by builders and they're just finishing the job. Also tariff goes down end of December.

Considering SP to offset electric usage, underfloor heating and such.

How does this look?

Total fit and supply charge (minus scaffolding) - £4,620.42

11 x 300W panels

Page 2
    • dancook
    • By dancook 1st Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    Just checked this
    https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/how-much-electricity-does-average-solar-panel-system-generate

a 2kW system will produce 1,700 kWh a year

0.6kWh x 8 hours x 365 = 1752

So 2kW would pretty much cover our idle, the only problem is Solar panels won't be consistent, sometimes over sometimes under.

I just realised FiT pays for anything we produce, even if we just use it ourselves
    Last edited by dancook; 01-12-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 6,138 Posts
    • 10,266 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Just checked this
    https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/how-much-electricity-does-average-solar-panel-system-generate

a 2kW system will produce 1,700 kWh a year

0.6kWh x 8 hours x 365 = 1752

So 2kW would pretty much cover our idle, the only problem is Solar panels won't be consistent, sometimes over sometimes under.

I just realised FiT pays for anything we produce, even if we just use it ourselves
    Originally posted by dancook
    Hiya, if you try out PVGIS (see section 5 of FAQ's in my auto sig) it will give you a pretty good guesstimate for your exact location.

2kWp south facing, no shading, might be closer to 2,000kWh pa. Sounds like you'll probably use a lot of that yourself.

Typically, the more the better, but your 'messy' rooves might make that tricky, and a simple install, with no scaffolding might help bring costs down a bit, but typically, smaller systems cost more (£'s/kWp).

But counting slates, and assuming your wife's legs are around a metre or so long, it will be a tight fit, but as Z points out, on a lower roof you might get away going to the edges ..... mine does!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter