Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 10:16 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 49Thanks
    dancook
    Solar Panel Quote
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:16 AM
    Solar Panel Quote 30th Nov 17 at 10:16 AM
    Thinking of Solar Panels, but need to hurry it along as we have scaffolding in place by builders and they're just finishing the job. Also tariff goes down end of December.

Considering SP to offset electric usage, underfloor heating and such.

How does this look?

Total fit and supply charge (minus scaffolding) - £4,620.42

11 x 300W panels

Page 1
    • rugbyleaguesmate
    • By rugbyleaguesmate 30th Nov 17, 10:21 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    rugbyleaguesmate
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:21 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:21 AM
    looks a little expensive to me especially if there is no scaffolding...

Aim for £1k per kw.

FIT changes are minimal now, so don't rush because of that. Scaffolding is a big saving though so do try to get it done.

I'm sure others will be along soon!

Can you not get more panels up there?

CTS renewables did my panels and will quote over the phone. They were excellent throughout.

Ian
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive

July Solar target 769kw
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 30th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    The estimated annual savings by offsetting electric by Solar is a huge over estimation. You are more likely to get under 4k,kWh of generation a year and would be lucky if you could use 50% of that, unless you have a diverter fitted.
    The average imported electricity saving is between £80 - £120 a year.
    Last edited by ASavvyBuyer; 30-11-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added k
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 10:28 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:28 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:28 AM
    4 panels along the roof where my wife is sitting painting

Ignoring the triangle section above her head, the next three sections to the right could hold 7 panels.

Is it really worth doing for saving on energy?
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    The estimated annual savings by offsetting electric by Solar is a huge over estimation. You are more likely to get under 4kWh of generation a year and would be lucky if you could use 50% of that, unless you have a diverter fitted.
    The average imported electricity saving is between £80 - £120 a year.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    Sorry if i say something wrong

"Under 4kWh", there are 3.3kW of panels - so that's a given right?

I do also work from home.

2 people in a 4 bed house, have used £97.84 electricity this month, a total of 686kWh

The thought of Solar was a knee jerk reaction to the "71 pence per hour" cost of turning the new underfloor heating on. However in reality if I only want to bring it up to 19c it doesn't need to run that long.

Maybe it's not right for us really,
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 30th Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:45 AM

"Under 4kWh", there are 3.3kW of panels - so that's a given right?
    Originally posted by dancook
    Sorry, meant under 4,000 kWh a year. Take a look at PVGIS for a realistic estimate of what you are likely to generate a year.
    Last edited by ASavvyBuyer; 30-11-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added PVGIS link
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 10:47 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:47 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:47 AM
    Our 24/7 'electricity idle' it's about 7pence per hour, which is 622watts.
    Last edited by dancook; 30-11-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 30th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    Sorry, meant under 4,000 kWh a year. Take a look at PVGIS for a realistic estimate of what you are likely to generate a year.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    Just done a quick estimation on PVGIS for the middle of the country, for a system of that size and it estimates 3,030 kWh per year.
    • rugbyleaguesmate
    • By rugbyleaguesmate 30th Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    rugbyleaguesmate
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    Solar panels are very well thought of on here! a lot of what you say makes you a good candidate.....You do need to check that your initial outlay is not excessive though.

The advice on here persuaded me to do it and I haven't looked back.

Ian
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive

July Solar target 769kw
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 6,143 Posts
    • 10,274 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Thinking of Solar Panels, but need to hurry it along as we have scaffolding in place by builders and they're just finishing the job. Also tariff goes down end of December.

Considering SP to offset electric usage, underfloor heating and such.

How does this look?

Total fit and supply charge (minus scaffolding) - £4,620.42

11 x 300W panels
    Hiya. It would be nice if you get it a bit cheaper, perhaps closer to £4k.

It's a messy set up, but I see the quote is for SolarEdge, so that's sorted.

Leccy savings might be less than you think, but ... you are quoting very high usage, and the higher your usage (daytime) the more you'll save. Perhaps you'll use 1,500-2,000kWh of the generation is daytime usage is high, so that might save you £200(ish) but that's an absolute stab in the dark.

Don't worry about the FiT rate change in Jan, it only drops from 3.90p to 3.83p, however, an install this year will be eligible for an inflationary uplift in April, as that'll be 'a year later', also the cost of scaffolding means you really want to do it now, or never.

Regarding the roof above your wife, can you use the west facing section too?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 1:58 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    Hiya. It would be nice if you get it a bit cheaper, perhaps closer to £4k.

It's a messy set up, but I see the quote is for SolarEdge, so that's sorted.

Leccy savings might be less than you think, but ... you are quoting very high usage, and the higher your usage (daytime) the more you'll save. Perhaps you'll use 1,500-2,000kWh of the generation is daytime usage is high, so that might save you £200(ish) but that's an absolute stab in the dark.

Don't worry about the FiT rate change in Jan, it only drops from 3.90p to 3.83p, however, an install this year will be eligible for an inflationary uplift in April, as that'll be 'a year later', also the cost of scaffolding means you really want to do it now, or never.

Regarding the roof above your wife, can you use the west facing section too?
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    The builders start in May and suggested it would take 4 months, it's now almost December. There isn't much left, but they've probably had enough, I'm looking forward to them going so they can't destroy anything else, the idea of asking them to leave the scaffolding up and getting a bit more isn't appealing.

I'm starting to feel quite negative about the whole endeavour, possibly a "mess" of solar panels on the roof that isn't doing a lot for us.

He didn't seem to think the west facing part was a good option.
    • Crowmann
    • By Crowmann 30th Nov 17, 2:35 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    Crowmann
    That roof does not look great for 3.3 Kw system - no doubt it can be done but its far from ideal.

The 4000 kwh annual generation is wrong - more like 3000 at best.

Be aware the generation at the times of year you really want it - Autumn / Winter is around a third or less than the warmer months - unless you heat your water via solar or run AC you will hand back most of what you generate from May till Sept.

Summary : Not worth the bother unless you believe electricity costs are going to rocket.
    4.2 kw - 16 265w panels South facing, 45 degrees, West Norfolk.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 30th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,728 Thanks
    zeupater
    ... Regarding the roof above your wife, can you use the west facing section too?
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Hi

If it's semi-detached then access would be required via the neighbours' garden ... could be okay for permission at the moment, but neighbours (& things) change ... I wouldn't do it!

Anyway, loads of triangles and what looks to be a pretty high price for that size system considering that scaffold etc is already in place ...

#Note for dancook ... can you measure the roof below the window and let us know ... maybe something like a 5x330W (1.65kWp) system would fit at a push ... much smaller, but easy access (no scaffold) and a single string inverter would make the sums add-up better as well as potentially looking less messy ... also, at that price don't let the scaffold opportunity drive you into a hasty decision, there's probably a suitable solution which would cost less/kWp including scaffolding, so don't get disheartened, you'll find solar to be a great decision in the end ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 30th Nov 17, 3:42 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    ajbell
    Keeping your wife on the roof must save a bit.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    Hi

If it's semi-detached then access would be required via the neighbours' garden ... could be okay for permission at the moment, but neighbours (& things) change ... I wouldn't do it!

Anyway, loads of triangles and what looks to be a pretty high price for that size system considering that scaffold etc is already in place ...

#Note for dancook ... can you measure the roof below the window and let us know ... maybe something like a 5x330W (1.65kWp) system would fit at a push ... much smaller, but easy access (no scaffold) and a single string inverter would make the sums add-up better as well as potentially looking less messy ... also, at that price don't let the scaffold opportunity drive you into a hasty decision, there's probably a suitable solution which would cost less/kWp including scaffolding, so don't get disheartened, you'll find solar to be a great decision in the end ...

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    There seems to be a push of minimum 3kwh (to make it worthwhile), is it to get the government scheme?

That roof is 2.24m x 4.7m (pitch 21)
    • dancook
    • By dancook 30th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    Keeping your wife on the roof must save a bit.
    Originally posted by ajbell
    She requests I leave the window open, we end up losing tons of heat
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 30th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    My 3.3 Kw system is again very 'bitty' across 4 different sections of roof. Some of it S facing and some W. Of course like this proposal it wouldn't be viable without the Solar Edge inverter. I was concerned at first that it would look a mess but it's not really been an issue and is very rarely noticed by visitors. I'm very happy with it (although it doesn't quite meet its generation estimates in the off seasons) and would thoroughly recommend going ahead while you have scaffolding up. An SE system is always going to cost a little more but it would be good to get the price down a little more. And yes the payback figures are without doubt overly optimistic.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 30th Nov 17, 10:26 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,728 Thanks
    zeupater
    There seems to be a push of minimum 3kwh (to make it worthwhile), is it to get the government scheme?

That roof is 2.24m x 4.7m (pitch 21)
    Hi

Is that sized as ground-space (as per plan view) based on wall dimensions or actual roof surface area including tile overhangs? ...

For example .. at a push (so you'd need to double-check) you may find an installer who would install something like 6 SunPower X21 345W black panels (1559x1046mm) in landscape (so nominal approx 2.1mx4.7m installed) making a 2.07kWp system - it's really pushing it (especially the measurements are actual roof area) but some installers would push much closer to the edges on lower and more sheltered roofs and canopies ..

Higher efficiency panels will be more expensive, but it's likely that there's already plenty of fat built into your current quote from info provided ... maybe the installer would simply substitute 11 330/345W panels for the current 300W units for the same price if you're decent at haggling ... that'd push the system close to 3.8kWp which would probably better suit your work-from-home position better ...

All just food for thought ...

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 30-11-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: +r
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • dancook
    • By dancook 1st Dec 17, 8:03 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    Hi

Is that sized as ground-space (as per plan view) based on wall dimensions or actual roof surface area including tile overhangs? ...
    It's the dimensions the installer put down in the quote, i assume it's actual roof surface area.
    • dancook
    • By dancook 1st Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dancook
    All just food for thought ...
    Yummy food.. well how about this..

I said our idle is around 0.6kwh, which is about 7 pence per hour.
    If I calculated this over 8 hours a day (made up figure) 365 days a year it totals

£204

If as you say we could fit a 2kwph system on that portion of the roof, 0.6 out of 2.0 seems like it could at least cover that and save us £204 a year.

Since all the panels are tight in the same area, could do away with the technology which has the panels work individually? if that's an aspect which brings the price up, that is.

It also seems like there won't be much to go back to the grid, not sure if it makes sense to set it up still?

We have underfloor heating in the bathroom and utility too, each probably costs 0.6kwh to use, the bathroom could always do with more heat to reduce damp/mould - so can find a way to use up the excess.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin