Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th Nov 17, 9:51 AM
    • 10,295Posts
    • 7,223Thanks
    neilmcl
    Playing Google Movies on non Smart TV
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:51 AM
    Playing Google Movies on non Smart TV 30th Nov 17 at 9:51 AM
    Anyone know a way of playing a purchased Google Movie on a non-smart Panasonic plasma TV? I did read a suggestion that you could use the youtube app on a suitable device and cast the movie from that so using my Amazon Fire TV box I was able to get the movie loaded up put it wouldn't play, it just kept on stating that is wouldn't play on this device.

FYI, I don't have Chromecast or a Roku box although by TV does have DLNA and is wifi enabled.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 30-11-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 30th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    Can you side load a DLNA player on your amazon tv box, if so that should then feed the tv
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 30th Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    You can side load most things to a Fire TV Box or Fire TV Stick. I've loaded several additional apps from my Kindle Fire 7 to my new Fire TV Stick using Apps2Fire.
    (You need the right CPU bit type of app ... both my Kindle and Stick are the same [32 bit I think] so the apps are compatible. Trying to install a 64 bit app onto a 32 bit device [or vice versa] won't work).

(I installed Google Play on my Kindle Fire to be able to get several other apps - including Kodi. You don't need to put Google Play on the Fire TV device).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 10,295 Posts
    • 7,223 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    You can side load most things to a Fire TV Box or Fire TV Stick. I've loaded several additional apps from my Kindle Fire 7 to my new Fire TV Stick using Apps2Fire.
    (You need the right CPU bit type of app ... both my Kindle and Stick are the same [32 bit I think] so the apps are compatible. Trying to install a 64 bit app onto a 32 bit device [or vice versa] won't work).

(I installed Google Play on my Kindle Fire to be able to get several other apps - including Kodi. You don't need to put Google Play on the Fire TV device).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    So can I push the Google Movies & TV app from my phone to my Fire TV via Apps2Fire and play it that way?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 30th Nov 17, 11:09 AM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:09 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:09 AM
    Google apps may be different ... the device may need to have Google services running. But there's no harm in trying ... the app will either install or it won't; the chances of bricking your Fire TV device are remote.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 10,295 Posts
    • 7,223 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    Google apps may be different ... the device may need to have Google services running. But there's no harm in trying ... the app will either install or it won't; the chances of bricking your Fire TV device are remote.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Just had a go and whilst it installed OK, it wouldn't run without the Google Play services.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 30th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    • 17,103 Posts
    • 27,801 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    A HDMI wire from your phone to TV? like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OCGCUK6
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 30th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    Just had a go and whilst it installed OK, it wouldn't run without the Google Play services.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I got Google Play (and Home) working on my Kindle Fire ... not too difficult to do. (Google it. You need to download some APKs and install them in sequence). Perhaps a Fire TV device can be similarly updated?
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 10,295 Posts
    • 7,223 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    OK, so I finally got it to work. I went back to using the Youtube app route but this time, instead of using the app on my Fire TV box I used the app on my Xbox One instead. I suppose it's no real surprise that the app doesn't work this way on Amazon devices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,197Posts Today

5,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin