Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newbee007
    • By newbee007 30th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 52Posts
    • 38Thanks
    newbee007
    Universal Credit and change of circumstances
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    Universal Credit and change of circumstances 30th Nov 17 at 9:34 AM
    Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me in this matter:

My friends are on UC, receiving Standard, Housing and Children Allowance. He is working 28 hours a week which makes around 23k a year and she is full time mum staying at home with children.

Now he has an opportunity to change his job for similar role and around same money, but working only 17,5 hours a week.

Do you think it will affect their UC payments? Many thanks for reply.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 30th Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    • 10,902 Posts
    • 12,784 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    It might affect their payments depending on what the difference in salary is - you say 'around same money'.

The other things it might affect is their work related activities as part of their claimant commitment.

Do they meet the Conditionality Earnings Threshold? (NMW x 35 hrs)

How old are the children? Does the mother have a clamant commitment?
    • newbee007
    • By newbee007 30th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    newbee007
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    Thanks for your reply pmlindyloo.

It might affect their payments depending on what the difference in salary is - you say 'around same money'.

Salary will be very similar (most probably little less) if not the same.

The other things it might affect is their work related activities as part of their claimant commitment.

As far as I am concerned, their commitments are just to use online accounts to inform about changes in circumstances

Not sure what is it. How to calculate it for a couple? He earns 23,500.

Both children are 2
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 30th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    • 10,902 Posts
    • 12,784 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    Thanks for your reply pmlindyloo.

Salary will be very similar (most probably little less) if not the same.

As far as I am concerned, their commitments are just to use online accounts to inform about changes in circumstances

Not sure what is it. How to calculate it for a couple? He earns 23,500.

Both children are 2
    Originally posted by newbee007
    Thanks.

So the father is already earning above the Conditionality Threshold - 35 x the National Minimum Wage.

In that case neither of them will be expected to take part in any work related requirements.

The CET for a household is a combination of the individual expected CET of each of the adults (joint claimants or including an ineligible partner of a claimant) in the household and varies between different households. In a couple household, if one of the adults earns above the household CET, both claimants are placed in the working enough regime, regardless of if they are both working or not.

They could use a benefit calculator to see by how much their payments will change. www entitledto.co.uk for example.
    • newbee007
    • By newbee007 3rd Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    newbee007
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    So the father is already earning above the Conditionality Threshold - 35 x the National Minimum Wage.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    I am sorry to ask pmlindyloo but not sure if understand that. As far as I know UC is being paid every month but 35 hours x NMW looks more like weekly earnings. How do you compare his earnings to Conditionality Threshold? What would be his minimum earnings to meet criteria and requirements to stay in same group?

Thanks
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 3rd Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    • 10,902 Posts
    • 12,784 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    I am sorry to ask pmlindyloo but not sure if understand that. As far as I know UC is being paid every month but 35 hours x NMW looks more like weekly earnings. How do you compare his earnings to Conditionality Threshold? What would be his minimum earnings to meet criteria and requirements to stay in same group?

Thanks
    Originally posted by newbee007
    No problem.

He needs to earn weekly 35 x £7.50 to meet the Conditionality Threshold which he does. (x 52 to get yearly salary)
    • newbee007
    • By newbee007 9th Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    newbee007
    • 9th Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    • 9th Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    Many thanks pmlindyloo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

3,367Users online

Martin's Twitter