Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 30th Nov 17, 9:31 AM
    • 577Posts
    • 82Thanks
    Seagull27
    Should I try claiming PPI? Old cases with no details...
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:31 AM
    Should I try claiming PPI? Old cases with no details... 30th Nov 17 at 9:31 AM
    Hi all

I've never looked into PPI before as I'm pretty certain I haven't ever had it. But after reading through the MSE article.... who knows! I haven't got the best memory, so I couldn't say for certain what I might have had in the past. I do know I had a credit card maybe around 15 years ago, but I couldn't even say who it was with. If I had anything else that might potentially be relevant, it would likely be around then or go back even further into my student days in the 1990s. I don't have paperwork going back that far. So from what I've read there is not enough for me to start on, but I thought I'd post here before shutting the door on the PPI thing for good.

However, I mentioned it to my partner yesterday and she is quite confident she had PPI on a HSBC credit card back in the late 90s. She thinks she might have even tried to make a claim back then, but really can't remember any details and might have that part wrong. Unfortunately she knows no other details and has no records of it, etc. Is there anything she can do?

Any help would be fantastic. Many thanks,

Max
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Nov 17, 9:59 AM
    • 18,907 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:59 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:59 AM
    I think with no idea whether you had PPI, no idea what lender and a poor memory you aren't going to be able to advance this very far. You could send a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter to each of the major lenders to see if there is anything kept on file for you, but (at £10 for each) that could prove very expensive and futile.

Your partner, on the other hand, could certainly risk £10 and send a SAR to HSBC.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    • 89,943 Posts
    • 56,647 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    and she is quite confident she had PPI on a HSBC credit card back in the late 90s. She thinks she might have even tried to make a claim back then,
    PPI was a mid 2000s thing when it all started to kick off. So, your partner thinking they did it in the 90s, is pretty impressive. There are issues if that is the case though. 1) you can only complain once. 2) a complaint would usually see the PPI cancelled. So, no payments after that.

If you never borrowed on the card (i.e. you paid each month in full), you would not pay PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 4th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    Thank you both for the helpful replies.

I ended up finding a lot of my old credit card statements (going back to 2002) and have checked them. There's no mention of PPI on any. I presume if I ever were paying it that this would show each month as expenditure? Is that right?

As for my partner, when I said claim I meant claimed on the insurance because she lost her job. And if that did happen, she seems to think they didn't pay out. She's really sketchy on it though, so who knows. I think it is worth a £10 punt. But the mid 2000s thing is interesting. Are you saying PPI was not around at all before then?

Thanks again
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 89,943 Posts
    • 56,647 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    presume if I ever were paying it that this would show each month as expenditure? Is that right?
    yes.
    But the mid 2000s thing is interesting. Are you saying PPI was not around at all before then?
    No. I mean the PPI issue in respect of missale complaints. Mixing up your meaning of claim where you used in the correct sense whereas with PPI, it tends to mean complain.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 4th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    I get you... Thanks for clarifying and for replying so quickly. Fingers crossed for my partner then!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter