Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • picardygirl
    • By picardygirl 30th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    • 515Posts
    • 219Thanks
    picardygirl
    PCN with wrong number plate
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    PCN with wrong number plate 30th Nov 17 at 9:24 AM
    My son got a PCN in the City of London so all above board parking ticket (silly boy).

He attempted to pay within the 14 days for the reduced fee and said wasnt recognised on the web site, so rang up and queried it to be told in person that the web site crashes occasionally and he put us through to the automated payment line.

Input PCN number and they quoted the number plate with another digit ...... so he didnt pay it.

Silly question, but they will have photographic evidence wont they and track him down with pictures once he doesnt pay it - just need another opinion really, he is thinking he can get away with it - just dont want it biting him at a later date.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone experienced similar?
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 30th Nov 17, 9:33 AM
    • 15,898 Posts
    • 24,643 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:33 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:33 AM
    Private parking operator or council generated ticket?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 30th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 1,661 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    Assuming that the PCN was issued by the City of London Corporation, having the incorrect VRM/Number plate details on the PCN will invalidate it. AFAIK they cannot 're-issue' a PCN under such circumstances. My advice would be to do nothing until you receive the NTO which, if the VRM is incorrect, probably will never arrive.

You should keep the PCN though just in case so that you can prove it was issued incorrectly.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • picardygirl
    • By picardygirl 1st Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    picardygirl
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    Thanks for your replies - yes it was issued through City of London Corporation, so a proper PCN as i want to call it - on the handwritten one the correct VCN is written, but when trying to input the correct number plate and PCN number online payment it wont accept it, so going through to automated line put in PCN number and it reads out wrong number plate, its a private plate with an extra digit!

The 14 days are up tomorrow, to pay the reduced fee!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 1st Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    • 15,898 Posts
    • 24,643 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 1st Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 1,661 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    Thanks for your replies - yes it was issued through City of London Corporation, so a proper PCN as i want to call it - on the handwritten one the correct VCN is written, but when trying to input the correct number plate and PCN number online payment it wont accept it, so going through to automated line put in PCN number and it reads out wrong number plate, its a private plate with an extra digit!

The 14 days are up tomorrow, to pay the reduced fee!
    Originally posted by picardygirl
    Ah, I misunderstood... I read your post as being the PCN having the incorrect number plate details.

Well you have one of two options; you can appeal the ticket (which if rejected will still maintain your discounted period). Can't really advise you more on that unless we know why the ticket was issued and what the contravention code is. Or you can pay it using another method (i.e. over the phone).
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • picardygirl
    • By picardygirl 3rd Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    picardygirl
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    Thanks for your comments - he decided to not risk it and pay the reduced fee and be done with it!

He parks in London loads, first parking ticket he's got, parked there dark early morning not realising it was a suspended bay, lesson learnt!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter