Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 30th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    • 80Posts
    • 45Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: 'Google you owe us': Legal challenge launched on behalf of millions
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    MSE News: 'Google you owe us': Legal challenge launched on behalf of millions 30th Nov 17 at 9:24 AM
    A consumer campaign group is today launching an unprecedented legal action against Google, claiming the tech heavyweight unlawfully collected personal data and should pay compensation to millions of iPhone users...
    Read the full story:
    ''Google you owe us': Legal challenge launched on behalf of millions of iPhone users'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 30-11-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 30th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    I had an iPhone in that period but wouldn't know how to go about proving it. I think I disposed of the receipt when I no longer had the phone at the end of 2013.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 30th Nov 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,565 Posts
    • 3,613 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:07 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:07 AM
    The article says that you need to contact the Google You owe Us group if you do NOT want to be part of the eventual action. That suggests to me that they already know which accounts were affected.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 30th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    I cant see this going very far
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 2nd Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    The irony of this being that if you were in the market for a smartphone, but were trying to maximise the bang for your buck, you probably would have bought something other than an iPhone unless you had a specific need for iPhone's high-end features.

Agree with the motivation behind the action - by running Android you have accepted certain T&Cs with respect to Google that those running Apple's browser and OS have not.

Just pointing out the irony that many of those who stand to gain from this will have either bought iPhone because for the specific applications they needed it was technically more advanced - in which case they were paying for a premium product which was not rivalled by Android-default devices, and thus Google's actions could end up subsidising and increasing brand loyalty to their main competitor. Or as a fashion accessory, in which case the beneficiaries are those who were paying the least attention to frugality in the first place.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,677Posts Today

7,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting result so far in my Twitter Poll double header... While 50% prefer GIVING gift vouchers to cash, 70% pr? https://t.co/zKgxQfLNAb

• Today's twitter poll PART 2: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/YMr1VUflay

• Today's twitter poll PART 1: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/OfKhh4pF2w

• Follow Martin