Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Williewonthe
    • By Williewonthe 30th Nov 17, 4:08 AM
    • 57Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Williewonthe
    0 WOW
    Marvel hotel Mandalay Myanmar (Burna)
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:08 AM
    0 WOW
    Marvel hotel Mandalay Myanmar (Burna) 30th Nov 17 at 4:08 AM
    If you value your safety, avoid this hotel.

On the 16th of this month, at about 08.30, I and another member of my tour group were stuck in one of the hotel lifts.

We pressed the Alarm –nothing happened. The circuit breaker had activated and so there was no power.
    The lift has a camera, that did not work – Why? No power.
    The hotel has a system for the automatic reporting of problems with the lifts – but that didn’t work because there was no power.

In the UK hotels must have emergency systems independent of the main hotel power. A hotel I stay at in Liverpool has the lift alarm connected to the telephone system and an electrical circuit separate from the hotel’s main power circuit (in order, for example, to keep illuminated those small green Exit signs you find dotted about hotels to show you the safe way out, if the main power should fail).
    This hotel has no such ‘separate’ circuit. When I quizzed a manager about my experience, he said that this hotel only has its main electrical circuit, so if it fails...........

Also (as related by our tour guide to me later) she asked Reception why the lift was stuck at a particular floor. All the person on reception did was shrug his/her shoulders and say that the power was out.

Our guide then went towards the lift with the individual from reception and both could hear me banging on the lift door but the person from Reception did NOTHING.

After 15 minutes we got out, because the power was restored and the doors opened – NOT because of any intervention by the hotel staff!!

The hotel cannot claim that it is an old hotel and so it has old infrastructure. It was only opened in 2015!!

I expect some readers will say “You can’t expect the same standards in Myanmar (Burma) as in the UK”. Why not? Do YOU want to stay in a hotel where, if there is an emergency and the main power is off, you probably can’t get out?

Keep safe.
Page 2
    • Williewonthe
    • By Williewonthe 4th Dec 17, 3:36 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Williewonthe
    Marvel hotel, Mandalay
    A final thought:

Would there have been such comments as:

Yes, always be cautious when travelling, but expecting the same safety standards in some destinations abroad (particularly in a relatively new tourist destination such as Myanmar), is just unrealistic.

Travel is an adventure....

Personally, I do not think it realistic to expect high safety standards once one is outside the civilised world (ie the European Union).

You're right, better not travel. In fact, probably best to never leave the house unless absolutely necessary.

If I had warned about a Burmese airline that did not have safety procedures or systems?
    • Shimrod
    • By Shimrod 4th Dec 17, 8:20 AM
    • 927 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Shimrod
    A final thought:

Yes, always be cautious when travelling, but expecting the same safety standards in some destinations abroad (particularly in a relatively new tourist destination such as Myanmar), is just unrealistic.

Travel is an adventure....

Personally, I do not think it realistic to expect high safety standards once one is outside the civilised world (ie the European Union).

You're right, better not travel. In fact, probably best to never leave the house unless absolutely necessary.

If I had warned about a Burmese airline that did not have safety procedures or systems?
    Originally posted by Williewonthe
    Have you checked the safety record of some of the Myanmar airlines?

Also you should know that a lift in the UK does not have to have a backup power supply unless it is designated as an evacuation lift - so you would have fared no better here than in Myanmar.

You've been unfortunate enough to be in a lift in a power cut which could have happened anywhere, and you have chosen to take your anger out on the hotel involved which seems a bit unfair. I don't see that the hotel deserves such an attack.
    • Williewonthe
    • By Williewonthe 5th Dec 17, 4:50 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Williewonthe
    Marvel hotel Mandalay
    Well I do.

If you read the non-joined-up writing again you will see that my anger is directed at the fact that it was impossible to alert people to our predicament.

I have now received a reply from the owners of that hotel. They avoid answering my questions re our inability to advise anyone that we were stuck in one of their lifts or regarding the incompetence of their staff.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4,828 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Willie.....There's a few regulars on this forum who often visit SE Asian countries, and will have disaster or near disaster tales to tell. But most of us just put it all down to the experience of travelling to the far flung.

Keep your story for an after-dinner tale, I'm sure it'll get better every time you tell it.
    • Williewonthe
    • By Williewonthe 6th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Williewonthe
    Marvel hotel Mandalay
    Pumpey Pete

Implying that I have given an account that is different from that witnessed by others and that I would (need to) embellish it for anyone else who I tell about it is beneath contempt.

To you I repeat my comments made above at 2nd Dec 17, 4:37 AM
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 6th Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    Twopints
    Pumpey Pete

Implying that I have given an account that is different from that witnessed by others and that I would (need to) embellish it for anyone else who I tell about it is beneath contempt.

To you I repeat my comments made above at 2nd Dec 17, 4:37 AM

Walliewonthe

Rubbish. He is advising you to get over it, in the nicest possible way.
    Not even wrong
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 6th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    Posted by Williewonthe]Personally, I do not think it realistic to expect high safety standards once one is outside the civilised world (ie the European Union).

As Grenfell Tower shows, this kind of thing can be found uncomfortably close to home -- and BREXIT can only make matters worse.[/QUOTE]

Really? Only the EU is civilised?
    travelover
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 6th Dec 17, 3:25 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    Willie.....There's a few regulars on this forum who often visit SE Asian countries, and will have disaster or near disaster tales to tell. But most of us just put it all down to the experience of travelling to the far flung.

Keep your story for an after-dinner tale, I'm sure it'll get better every time you tell it.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    This just about sums it up for me.

Although I accept being stuck in a lift is not ideal (I was last year at a hotel in Bangkok where I managed to phone my wife to plan an escape), you really need to move on and just put it down to experience.

As PP alluded to, we all have stories from travelling the world that for whatever reason would just not happen at home - that is the beauty of travelling - if everywhere was sterile and risk free, travel would be boring.

I am not suggesting anyone intentionally places themselves at risk, as with most places in the world, you still need to keep your wits about you, but you should focus on the positive elements of your destination and trip because this incident will tarnish the good memories you have from it.

A final thought:

We are debating being stuck in a lift where nobody was placed in danger, nobody was injured and nobody died.

Comparing such a scenario with airline safety where a breach of safety or human error could be catastrophic is pushing comparisons a little wayward.
    Last edited by dickydonkin; 06-12-2017 at 3:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,661Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin