Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tilona
    • By Tilona 30th Nov 17, 1:20 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Tilona
    Sky - leave or stay?
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:20 AM
    Sky - leave or stay? 30th Nov 17 at 1:20 AM
    Here is my dilemma. I just don't know what a "good deal" is anymore. I have been with Sky for 11 years. They caught me in the "10 month deal/12 month contract" trap this year (silly of me I know...i just didn't realise that this is what I had done) which means that my bills will go up to £50.60 in January and February until my contract ends. I have rung them several times to haggle (yes I used the guide) and they will give me a new deal for £37.60 which is £10 more than I pay now. Should I be grateful and go with it? I am only getting the basic TV package (no HD, box sets etc etc), standard broadband (no fibre), landline and pay as you go calls. They want me to commit for 18 months. I rely on catch up, record and the variety of channels so have looked around but have not found any other provider that I could honestly trust to switch to as other service providers are renown for having a bad reception in my area so I would worry especially if the TV is relying on broadband services. Oh and I only get 19 freeview channels so that one is not an option either. I have been OK with Sky and their broadband in the past so I suppose I know it works. So I am basically trying to put my mind at rest that this is indeed a good deal and if it is not what I can do to change it. One other thought was to request to cancel the contract for end of Feb and hope that they will call me before the 1st of January (when the big bill starts) to arrange a better deal to tempt me to stay...or have I just been spoilt with my last deal and I am now not appreciating what they are offering me? I am completely out of my depth with this one for varies reasons so any advice would be greatly appreciated especially as 18 month is a long time to commit to if you are not sure that you are indeed getting a good deal...which I hope I am to be honest! Thank you for your help!
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 30th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    It's only a 'good deal' if the service suits you and by the sounds of it you have the perfect package for your circumstance. Only you can decide whether it's worth paying the asking price. You probably wouldn't get any contact before the two full price bills, why would they?

The £37.60 is the new customer deal at the moment, you may be able to get another £5 to £10 off but you'd have to be persistent with them.

Edit: Please don't copy & paste the same question into separate threads as it just confuses things.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 30th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 9,507 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    It sounds like you have ruled out all of the other potential options (something Freeview-based and something Internet-based). If Sky Broadband works for you, then all the other BT-OpenReach based services will too (it's the same infrastructure). That would include BT, Plusnet, Talktalk, EE Broadband to name a few.

If Sky Satellite is the only service that suits you, I'd be surprised, but if it is, then you'll just need to negotiate until you get an offer you can live with.

£37.60 doesn't sound that bad for what you are getting. Your landline/broadband service would probably be ~£20pm from any provider, so Sky Satellite for £17.60 is reasonable, I think. If you can't get them to move on price, could you get them to throw in some other benefits - free calls, boxsets?
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 30-11-2017 at 9:57 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Tilona
    • By Tilona 30th Nov 17, 11:04 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tilona
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:04 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:04 AM
    I have looked at the others. BT and EE only work out £2 and £4 cheaper a month with less channels plus additional set up costs so I wouldn't win anything. Also EE and BT service has been deemed really temperamental in our town but that may not mean it would b for me you are right there. I heavily rely on the record options and the sky entertainment channels. I have looked at talk talk but with only getting 19 free view channels in total and then with their entertainment package I would still only get 25 (!!) channels...even with a recordable box provided by them at £25pm (for everything) it won't b sufficient...
    I have asked sky to throw in some extras to sweeten the deal.but they said no...not unless I pay extra.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 30th Nov 17, 11:48 AM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:48 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:48 AM
    Your basic Sky TV , is that the Original or Variety bundle ?...I suppose something to consider is the programmes you want to watch and what channels they are on, if something is on Sky Atlantic for example then (AFAIK) that's exclusive to Sky , or Sky One , Again AFAIK , BT are not able to offer access to that, but Talk Talk TV can.
    As others have said the phone and broadband probably account for £20 of the total, so £17 ish for TV ( if it's the Variety bundle) isn't bad, for comparison, I have Sky TV , but broadband and phone with someone else, and I pay around £34 for the Variety bundle, like you no box sets, movies or sport, I probably could negotiate something cheaper but don't want to commit to a new minimum term.....only you can decide if what's on offer is 'good enough'
    Last edited by iniltous; 30-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    • Tilona
    • By Tilona 30th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tilona
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    It's for the original bundle only...not variety. They said they are giving me a 50% discount on TV and 40% on broadband...
    • Tilona
    • By Tilona 30th Nov 17, 1:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tilona
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:06 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:06 PM
    Apologies for duplicating the post. I did that by mistake as it was my first time posting (I put it in the wrong thread) and I don't know how to delete a post. So once again sorry if I have confused matters.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th Nov 17, 9:26 PM
    • 8,614 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:26 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:26 PM
    Apologies for duplicating the post. I did that by mistake as it was my first time posting (I put it in the wrong thread) and I don't know how to delete a post. So once again sorry if I have confused matters.
    Originally posted by Tilona
    Choose 'edit', then tick the box for delete.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 30th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    • 9,507 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    It was a duplicate thread. I've closed it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Tilona
    • By Tilona 1st Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tilona
    So just wondering...is it worth it cancelling Sky and hoping they will try and tempt me back with a better deal or is it too risky and should I just stay with the £37.60 offer...? I have checked Virgin who would be £46 and BT a whopping £55...Thanks again for your advice and help.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Dec 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    So just wondering...is it worth it cancelling Sky and hoping they will try and tempt me back with a better deal or is it too risky and should I just stay with the £37.60 offer...? I have checked Virgin who would be £46 and BT a whopping £55...Thanks again for your advice and help.
    Originally posted by Tilona
    Given your limited options I think you've pretty much answered your question there?
    • macman
    • By macman 1st Dec 17, 5:10 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    Cancel and see, what do you have to lose? You will still have 28 days from then to cancel the cancellation.
    It's only when you get through to retentions that you get the decent discounts.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter