Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kezzb
    • By kezzb 29th Nov 17, 11:39 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 15Thanks
    kezzb
    Cooker wiring question
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:39 PM
    Cooker wiring question 29th Nov 17 at 11:39 PM
    Hi, I would like to buy a range cooker to replace my old single oven cooker. I realise that the wiring required is different for larger cookers. How do I know what amp the hard wiring is in my flat? Wiring was done in late 1960s I reckon but have a newish fusebox.

Not intending to install the cooker myself, I will pay a qualified electrician, but wondering if I am going to have to pay a small fortune to get wiring changed?
    Thanks
    Last edited by kezzb; 29-11-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 29th Nov 17, 11:53 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:53 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:53 PM
    Not intending to install the cooker myself, I will pay a qualified electrician, but wondering if I am going to have to pay a small fortune to get wiring changed?
    Originally posted by kezzb
    Look at your consumer unit - If the breaker on the cooker circuit is 32A, then that will (generally) be the limit of the cable. Depending on the distance between the consumer unit and the cooker, you could well have 6mm² cable. If your new range cooker requires a bigger supply, then the cable will have to be upgraded to 10mm² or larger.

I'm afraid that only a qualified electrician will be able to give you advice as it is dependent on the cooker requirements and the length of cable needed. If it is a short run and new cable can be pulled through easily, it needn't be hugely expensive.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • kezzb
    • By kezzb 30th Nov 17, 12:01 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    kezzb
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:01 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:01 AM
    Look at your consumer unit - If the breaker on the cooker circuit is 32A, then that will (generally) be the limit of the cable. Depending on the distance between the consumer unit and the cooker, you could well have 6mm² cable. If your new range cooker requires a bigger supply, then the cable will have to be upgraded to 10mm² or larger.

I'm afraid that only a qualified electrician will be able to give you advice as it is dependent on the cooker requirements and the length of cable needed. If it is a short run and new cable can be pulled through easily, it needn't be hugely expensive.
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    Sorry to be really thick but what is the consumer unit? Is it the plate that is on the wall with cooker switch on it?
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 30th Nov 17, 12:30 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:30 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:30 AM
    Sorry to be really thick but what is the consumer unit? Is it the plate that is on the wall with cooker switch on it?
    It's the distribution board (DB), commonly known as the fuse board.
    • kezzb
    • By kezzb 30th Nov 17, 12:40 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    kezzb
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:40 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:40 AM
    It's the distribution board (DB), commonly known as the fuse board.
    Originally posted by Risteard
    Found it and it says 30 amp, so I presume its 32 amp, Rangemaster website says its fine to run the cooker on a 32 amp circuit with 6mm cable as long as isolator switch does not incorporate a 13amp socket, mine does Am I scuppered? No idea id cable is 6mm or 10mm but most likely to be 6mm given the age of the wiring? The consumer unit is a long way from the kitchen.
    Last edited by kezzb; 30-11-2017 at 12:42 AM.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 30th Nov 17, 6:32 AM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:32 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:32 AM
    Found it and it says 30 amp, so I presume its 32 amp, Rangemaster website says its fine to run the cooker on a 32 amp circuit with 6mm cable as long as isolator switch does not incorporate a 13amp socket, mine does Am I scuppered? No idea id cable is 6mm or 10mm but most likely to be 6mm given the age of the wiring? The consumer unit is a long way from the kitchen.
    if it says 30A it's not 32A...
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 30th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    So get the cooker switch replaced with one that is just a switch, and doesn't have a 13A socket. Job done.

Unless, of course you really need the socket. In which case, it may be easier just to add a few more sockets to your ring main.

30A suggests it's a fuse, rather than a breaker. But for the circuit in question, the difference between a 30A fuse and a 32A breaker is negligible.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin