Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keveen
    • By keveen 29th Nov 17, 9:57 PM
    • 123Posts
    • 66Thanks
    keveen
    NHS Penalty Charge Notice received - another victim
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:57 PM
    NHS Penalty Charge Notice received - another victim 29th Nov 17 at 9:57 PM
    What a nightmare. On my last visit to the dentist I filled in the usual form and after treatment took it down to the reception. On previous visits I had been getting Pension Credit Guarantee so didn't have to pay but now I am getting a State Pension and thought I would have to pay something. At the desk they said that's it, nothing to pay. I had not ticked any of the exemption boxes so I assumed it was because I was on a Pension and thought nothing of it. Mistake! I received a Penalty Notice for £100 telling me that I had falsely tcked the Income Support box. I have NEVER claimed Income Support and am not stupid so if I wanted to cheat I would have ticked the Pension Credit box. However I did not tick anything - and certainly no way would I have used that option as I am on a Pension!! They refuse to accept that there must have been a mistake somewhere. The only explanation I can think of is that someone in the office covering their backs ticked that box but of course who knows. All I know is that it was not me! I have refused to pay and said take me to court hoping a judge will see sense. I refuse to pay for a penalty for something I did not do! Besides £100 is a lot of money for someone on a State Pension and who has done no wong!

And no I have never cheated and why would I start now when the charge is only going to be about £35. And besides a friend of mine used to work in that office and told me about the new checks. He left cos it was so depressing!

I looked again at the form that I had to fill in and there is no way I would have accidentally ticked the IS box.
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Page 2
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 30th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 4,036 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    brook2jack
    This is the form everyone signs at the dentist. It clearly shows what exemption is claimed for and says there will be a fine if you claim wrongly. Always check what boxes have been ticked. It is your responsibility . http://www.shiredental.com/FP17PR.png
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 30th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Who ticked the box is largely irrelevant, as OP signed to say he was eligible for free treatment. As well as that, he did in fact fail to pay!

"They ticked the wrong box" is not a valid defence to failing to pay the charge.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    How do you know that?

The NHS Web site says that if you want treatment under the NHS you fill in a form, and if you are exempt from paying fees then you tick a box on that form

How do you know that OP signed a form claiming an exemption?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 30th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    When OP signed the form, had a box claiming an exemption been ticket?

If you are saying it had, how do you know this?
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    It doesnít matter if a box was ticked or not. The OP was told he didnít need to pay for treatment and just accepted it. He didnít question if he met the criteria, he assumed he did because of the state pension. The OP said this themselves.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 30th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 16,584 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    Surely if the OP is claiming the state pension he's old enough to be exempt on age grounds?

I'm surprised that they haven't allowed an appeal on the grounds that he was exempt but the wrong box was ticked. But if he's appealed and they've ruled that way then I suppose that's that.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin