Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chili_pea
    • By chili_pea 29th Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 8Thanks
    chili_pea
    Can I get this debt wrote off?
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    Can I get this debt wrote off? 29th Nov 17 at 9:07 PM
    Is there a clause in this?
    The debt is old and I cannot even remember what it's for and the last time I heard from Apex Credit Management was over a year ago. BUT I have been paying £1 to them since 2011 but cancelled my direct debit 3 months ago due to no communication.

Out of the blue Cabot Financial sent me a letter today saying they are dealing with the account directly.
    The letter says the following;
    Duration as provided in the agreement: 0 months
    Amount of credit: £0.00
    Contractual payment: £0.00
    Date assigned: December 2009

So my concern is, it's not even on their records as to how much credit was lent over how long and for how much, therefore how can they seek payment from me?
    I don't want to be paying over the odds for something as the debt is for £7,000.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thank you
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 29th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 14,363 Posts
    • 15,127 Thanks
    zx81
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    Ask them for clarity over the amount. The debt is still enforceable as you have been making payments.
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 29th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    Sounds like Apex have sold it onto Cabot. You have made a payment 3 months ago, so it is not Statute Barred. It wasn't the brightest move to cancel the DD. I have debts the same age as yours, and can't remember the last time I heard from them. Contact Cabot before you end up with a CCJS. You took out a loan, so repay it.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 29th Nov 17, 9:46 PM
    • 12,668 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:46 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:46 PM
    Send a provit letter to them, it sounds like the details of the debt are sadly lacking, get them to prove your liability, provit letter available from the stickies on debt free wannabe.

They can’t just send a random letter with no content and expect you to pay them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    Agree with sourcrates: From the information provided in the opening post it looks like Cabot don't have the details of the debt. You could in that case dispute the debt and ask them to provide the latest agreement and account statement to prove that you owe the money. If Cabot cannot do that then in essence you don't owe it, simple. But note that the debt will not go away and it could happen that they will find the information at a later date and come back to you. I'd say if you can afford to pay it then pay it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,867Posts Today

7,322Users online

Martin's Twitter