Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 29th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 923Posts
    • 17,592Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Food processors - what to look for and best buys
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    Food processors - what to look for and best buys 29th Nov 17 at 8:12 PM
    Hiya All

Sorry to have been absent for so long but we had a bereavement in the family which threw my already chaotic life into more madness! Anyhoo that seems to be getting behind us now and my son and family hope to be able to move out in the spring.

Which brings me to the reason for this post. While they have been here if I needed anything chopping or beating they (my son and his lady) have been able to it for me when it was too tough for me. However, when they move out I want to have a machine to help me as my arthritis gallops onward. Also I want to loose weight and have got the Jamie Oliver 15 min cook book where he makes a lot of use of a food processor to finely cut veg etc.

So my question to you good folk is: What features do I look for? Have you had one that really worked well/ one that fell apart after 5 mins!?

I think I want one with a glass/pyrex blender attachment as well.
    Im thinking a budget of £60- £100??? Is that realistic?

Thanks for all advice and help.
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
Page 1
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 30th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    • 729 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    I’d say Magimix but looking at your budget
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 30th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    • 24,175 Posts
    • 50,822 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    Iíd say Magimix but looking at your budget
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Its funny, an elderly aunt (who previously had a catering business and is still a consummate cook in her eighties) recommended Magimix but I canít remember the model. I think it had a 400 in it somewhere. Hers had lasted for years with multiple daily use.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 30th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 6,514 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    Currently in the WHich? £1 month trial so looked it up and this is the one they rate highest (amongst magimix minis which are similar to the Kenwood mini chopper and wouldn't do what you want)

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/kenwood-multipro-food-processor-and-jug-blender?istCompanyId=bf3344d9-83f5-4abd-b69a-da131f7567d1&istItemId=xliwppqim&istBid=tzxx&sourc e=tmrwppc&gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUijVeaWZ4-4vSOVgeJpy5cb8zIu7gGlN5QhbzX_y6mNnQlgqaA2V7xhoC7To QAvD_BwE

This one also rates highly but the jug bit is glass, nothing else:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-FPM260-Food-Processor-Brushed/dp/B006WYVF0W

I can't see any glass ones that they rate (but Amazon might give you some clues if no feedback here?)

I have no experience of Magimix food processors, however I have their blender - which cost a fortune - and it is disappointingly rubbish. Can't wait to replace it!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 30th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,704 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    Hi Lyn

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-MCM4100-Food-Processor-1-25/dp/B004YGAF60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512049233&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+food+processor
    and it serves the purpose very well; it's in use several times every week, for batter, pastry, carrot'n'orange cake (I use it to prep the carrots and oranges), marmalade, and even mashed potato.

The only downside is the "lethal blade" (as Mr LW calls it) is fiddly to clean - in fact I'm not permitted to wash it myself, as I have a history of dropping things and trying to catch them before they hit the floor.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 30th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    esmy
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    Currently in the WHich? £1 month trial so looked it up and this is the one they rate highest (amongst magimix minis which are similar to the Kenwood mini chopper and wouldn't do what you want)

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/kenwood-multipro-food-processor-and-jug-blender?istCompanyId=bf3344d9-83f5-4abd-b69a-da131f7567d1&istItemId=xliwppqim&istBid=tzxx&sourc e=tmrwppc&gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUijVeaWZ4-4vSOVgeJpy5cb8zIu7gGlN5QhbzX_y6mNnQlgqaA2V7xhoC7To QAvD_BwE
    Originally posted by MandM90
    I have an older model of this.OH dropped the blender jug so that's cracked and unusable now but I preferred the stick blender in any case. My favourite thing is the grater attachment, makes short work of homemade coleslaw. I probably use it weekly and its about 5 years old.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 30th Nov 17, 9:53 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:53 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:53 PM
    Hi All

Thanks for your comprehensive replies so far. Once I decide I will let you all know which I choose.

Friend has suggested the Jamie Oliver one (more blades) and a another friend has suggested the Whal one which features James Martin on the front. Im always a bit worried by celebrity endorsement??? Or am I just a cynic?? LOL

Eagerly awaiting any more info.
    Cheers all
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 1st Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    I'm on to my second K*nwood processor, the first one lasted years. It has various attachments, including a blender, and grinder, but they are plastic, and I think you wanted a glass blender.
    I find the processor very handy, it makes great pastry (I can no longer rub in by hand). it's also great for chopping and slicing.
    I've had it 5 years, and it was half price at about £60.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 1st Dec 17, 7:56 AM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,688 Thanks
    Floss
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:56 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:56 AM
    I'm on my second Moulinex f/p, the first is still in use at my brothers house. Parts are easy available & it's easy to clean.

We also have the Wahl grinder which is very good, as are DH's professional hair clippers they make!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 1st Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 35,105 Thanks
    joedenise
    The Kenwood Chef has a glass blender available. My Kenwood Chef came with the glass blender but I think some come with the plastic one.

Denise
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 1st Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 6,957 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I bought my Magimix in 1986 as a present to myself for my 19th birthday. I replaced the plastic bowl last year as the handle finally snapped off which prevented the locking mechanism from working. Other than that it is still going strong.
    I also bought the mini/micro version a few months back and it is great for smaller volumes.
    When the magimix does finally die I will get a new one as similar as I can.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 1st Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,704 Thanks
    LameWolf
    another friend has suggested the Whal one which features James Martin on the front. Im always a bit worried by celebrity endorsement??? Or am I just a cynic?? LOL
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    I've heard of Bob Martin (condition tablets for dogs) but I don't have a scooby who James Martin is!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 1st Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    I have the same Bosch food processor as Lamewolf. I love it - I use it for making breadcrumbs and grating chocolate, chopping onions and other veg very fine, or even into purees, chopping cooked meat very fine for patties, making cakes, preparing icecreams. I must use it several times a week on average and I would be really lost without it.

I think that the price is also extremely reasonable for what its capable of doing.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 1st Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Wow - still more info
    Evening folks

Really great info! Thank you so much!

Also Lame Wolf - James Martin is a celebrity chef - Bob Martin - did make me giggle!

Some very useful hints here

Still thinking................

Bit slow round here! LOL
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin