Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RonnyJambo
    • By RonnyJambo 29th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RonnyJambo
    Name on account change
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    Name on account change 29th Nov 17 at 7:59 PM
    Hello.
    I just wanted to pick the brains of the community about a small pickle my girlfriend is in.
    She is a private tenant at a house she used to share with a friend, and the utility bills for the property are still in the name of the ex housemate.
    All the payments to these accounts for the past year have been made by my girlfriend, and she is very good at doing so. She now finds herself in credit with her energy supplier.
    Unfortunately the same energy supplier is now raising the rates, and she is worried she will struggle to pay.
    If she was to switch to a new supplier, and open the new account in her name, would this be easy to do?
    My assumption is the new supplier would ask for a meter reading, then inform the old supplier that they would be taking over the account from that point. And her ex housemate would receive monies owed to them from the old supplier. The downside to this scenario is that the monies owed to the customer is actually my girlfriends money.
    My advice to her was, use the current supplier until you are no longer in credit, then switch once you pass that point, make the new account into your name, and carry on as normal at a cheaper rate. Bobs your uncle.
    But I am not a money saving expert.
    If you can see any flaws to my plan could you please advise?
    Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 29th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    Hello.
    I just wanted to pick the brains of the community about a small pickle my girlfriend is in.
    She is a private tenant at a house she used to share with a friend, and the utility bills for the property are still in the name of the ex housemate.
    All the payments to these accounts for the past year have been made by my girlfriend, and she is very good at doing so. She now finds herself in credit with her energy supplier.
    Unfortunately the same energy supplier is now raising the rates, and she is worried she will struggle to pay.
    If she was to switch to a new supplier, and open the new account in her name, would this be easy to do?
    My assumption is the new supplier would ask for a meter reading, then inform the old supplier that they would be taking over the account from that point. And her ex housemate would receive monies owed to them from the old supplier. The downside to this scenario is that the monies owed to the customer is actually my girlfriends money.
    My advice to her was, use the current supplier until you are no longer in credit, then switch once you pass that point, make the new account into your name, and carry on as normal at a cheaper rate. Bobs your uncle.
    But I am not a money saving expert.
    If you can see any flaws to my plan could you please advise?
    Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by RonnyJambo
    Your g/f is not in credit. From what you say, she does not even have an account yet

The ex-housemate is in credit ... it seems thanks to the generosity of your g/f. Hopefully the ex-housemate will be willing to refund any money your g/f has donated to the ex-housemate.

What your g/f should do is contact the supplier and explain what has happened, and that she wants an account in her own name, effective from when she became responsible for the property (as per her tenancy agreement, a copy of which she will probably have to provide as proof to the supplier)

Unfortunately, due to the year long delay in doing this, your g/f will probably be charged at the supplier's very expensive standard variable tariff for that period. Compare that to what she could have saved, not just with the existing supplier, but if she had switched earlier.

She lives & learns .... hopefully.
    • bonus2010
    • By bonus2010 29th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    bonus2010
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    Your plan sounds good to me. I wouldn't be volunteering exact dates when my ex-housemate left if its some time ago. In saying that I'm not expecting huge amounts of credits to have been built up though...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter