Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 29th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 10Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    Do DWP stop money straight away if you have interview under caution?
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    Do DWP stop money straight away if you have interview under caution? 29th Nov 17 at 7:24 PM
    My friend owes me money and was going to to pay me today (his pay day). Yesterday he had a letter saying they are stopping his ESA and he needs to attend a interview under caution. He said he didn't get his ESA payed today. I asked him he he needs to take bank statements in and he told me he didn't properly read the letter.

Now I think he is lying to me.

1) If he had such a letter you would read it all wouldn't you? You would know if you had to take bank statements in. Is it routine to take bank statements to interviews under caution?

If they sent such a letter would they give you more then 1 week to attend?

Do they stop you ESA straight away before the interview?

Do you think he's lying to me because he does not want to pay money back to me?

How do interviews under caution really work?
Page 1
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 29th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    It could have stopped before the interview. It could have stopped as he failed to attend the interview.

Generally they give a couple of weeks notice in case the customer wants to get legal advice.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 29th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    Have you spoken to your appointee about this? I expect they'll be concerned about you lending money to people, so as you are not drawn into situations like this.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 29th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 2,619 Thanks
    dippy3103
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    They will suspend his money before the interview only if they have evidence that he is no longer entitled to it - wages or such like.
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 29th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    I havent. I want to know if I'm being taken advantage off?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 29th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    Originally posted by nicetomeetyou
    No one here knows, as we do not know your friend or what the DWP have done.

Call your appointee tomorrow or speak to the responsible person on shift to help you with this.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 29th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 4,408 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    Are you now saying your friend doesn't owe you money? You said in the OP that he does.
    In answer to the question about stopping benefit, Yes they can and will if they have solid evidence that an overpayment has been made due to fraud.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 29th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 16,581 Posts
    • 29,008 Thanks
    Ames
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    It's sensible to read the letters. But if someone's stressed or scared by the first few lines it makes sense to me that they might not read the whole thing, especially if they have mental health problems.

What your friend is saying could be true, or he could be trying to get out of paying you back. No-one here can say for sure. I'd be inclined to believe him, because it's a lot of technical information for him to come up with if he's lying.

As I Am Wales said though you perhaps need to talk to your appointee or support workers about whether you should lend people money in the first place.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Ames
    • By Ames 29th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 16,581 Posts
    • 29,008 Thanks
    Ames
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    Are you now saying your friend doesn't owe you money? You said in the OP that he does.
    In answer to the question about stopping benefit, Yes they can and will if they have solid evidence that an overpayment has been made due to fraud.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I think he meant he hasn't spoken to his appointee.

• nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 29th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    I can't talk to my support workers or appointee because that gives them proof that I need an appointee and I'm trying to get rid off it because I think I'm able to look after my own money. I have tried getting it annulled but they are having none of it and the DWP are not bothered as they won'r speak to me about benefits, when I go down the job centre they just want to get rid off me.
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 29th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    Social services have been stealing my money for ages saying I lack capacity when unwell and stopping me traveling to India. They are doing it because they don't want me to travel to India because they think I will be a risk to myself thats why they have continually put me on a community treatment order for 4 years always renewing it when I haven't got anything with me then they increase my depot meds to make me drugged up. I think my best friend stealing money off me would be the nail in the coffin.
    • w06
    • By w06 29th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    w06
    you need to be honest with the people trying to help you, by not being you're making the situation worse.

All of that aside, a good rule to have with regards money is to never lend what you can't live without. I.e don't lend it if you'd fall out over not getting it back. If you can't trust a friend enough to trust he's telling you the truth, I'd not have loaned them anything.

you need to be honest with the people trying to help you
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 29th Nov 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 4,408 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I can't talk to my support workers or appointee because that gives them proof that I need an appointee and I'm trying to get rid off it because I think I'm able to look after my own money. I have tried getting it annulled but they are having none of it and the DWP are not bothered as they won'r speak to me about benefits, when I go down the job centre they just want to get rid off me.
    You seem to be in a bit of a vicious circle. If you don't speak to your support workers or appointee they are likely to think that you are shutting yourself off from reality and therefore do need them. On the other hand you think that by speaking to them you are showing weakness and confirming to them that they are needed.
    I'm no expert on the system but I would have thought that by working with them, and therefore showing that you are able to make reasoned decision, you would strengthen your case for not needing an appointee.
    It will take time, but refusing to engage with them is very unlikely to get the result you want.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 29th Nov 17, 9:28 PM
    • 16,581 Posts
    • 29,008 Thanks
    Ames
    Social services have been stealing my money for ages saying I lack capacity when unwell and stopping me traveling to India. They are doing it because they don't want me to travel to India because they think I will be a risk to myself thats why they have continually put me on a community treatment order for 4 years always renewing it when I haven't got anything with me then they increase my depot meds to make me drugged up. I think my best friend stealing money off me would be the nail in the coffin.
    You don't know that he's stolen from you. Posters on here have said that his explanation is perfectly plausible. If he had every intention of paying you back and then something happened that means he can't, that's not stealing.

They'd also look at why you lent him money and how much it was. If you lent £100 for him to buy drugs with then that's a bad judgement call. If you lent him £1 to buy a loaf of bread then that's perfectly reasonable.

The advice here is going to be the same as all the other threads - engage with the people trying to help you. If you're compliant with medication that can only be a good thing.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin